Anime suggestion?

ward09

PSLS Level: Newbie
I want to get back into anime... any suggestions? I don't have lots of time for a long series, but a short series or movie would be cool.

I li
What genre do you like? It might make it easier for me to suggest something
I like science fiction and military/war, so Macros is still my all time fave. But there was also one I really liked about a vampire who had an eye on the palm of his hand - can't remember what it was now. Anyway, it's been a long time since I watched anything, so I'm open.

I li

I like science fiction and military/war, so Macros is still my all time fave. But there was also one I really liked about a vampire who had an eye on the palm of his hand - can't remember what it was now. Anyway, it's been a long time since I watched anything, so I'm open.
That sounds like Hellsing.

I still recommend Kino's Journey if you like substance. Mind you it has been a few years since I was on the Anime train, so my recommendations are a bit dated-ish.

Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
FLCL
Last Exile
Fullmetal Alchemist

I li

In that case i would recommend, gintama and sengoku basara, bleach, ronin warriors (also known as yoroiden samurai troopers), saiyuki (any of the versions such as: gensoumaden, reload, or reload gunlock).

But there was also one I really liked about a vampire who had an eye on the palm of his hand - can't remember what it was now.
If it were a whole face on his hand, and the character was a halfbreed, I'd say Vampire Hunter D. Otherwise, Hellsing sounds likely, I suppose.

Jormungand comes to mind, at least for the military/war note. It's two 12-episode seasons, but should appeal, I'd think. Rather than "military," though, it's more about a band of mercenaries (many ex-military) working alongside an arms dealer. Some over-the-top action here, some dark humor there... A similar series I'd also recommend would be Black Lagoon. (Also two 12-episode seasons, plus some OVA's.)

On more of a general note: Baccano!
Clocking in at 16 episodes, this series is... one hell of a ride, really, and among my favorites. (Also, an excellent dub cast, if you care about that.) Take a 1930's America story centered around (mostly) rival gangs and a train hijacking, and put a supernatural spin on it (namely, immortals), and you've pretty much got the premise set up. A title I rather strongly recommend to just about anyone. If you enjoy this, I'd also recommend following up with Durarara!!. (Longer series, less over-the-top, more modern, and similarly has a lot going on among a wide cast of characters.)

For a quick old-school sci-fi fix, Ozma may be worth a shot. (6 episodes; check link for premise, staff, etc.)

Sci-fi... If you're into time travel, definitely give Steins;Gate a look sometime. I'm not sure where you draw the line for a "long" series, but this one's an average two-cour series of 24 episodes (plus 1 OVA and 1 movie; both optional). I'd warn that it might take a little while to really get into, but once shit gets real, you'll be hooked.

Not really a high-ranker on my own list, but Night Raid 1931 may be worth checking out, being only 13 episodes, and military-themed. (Albeit supernatural as well.)

Hm, I should find something that's available through Netflix, haha... Try Eden of the East on for size. 11 episodes, plus two movies to wrap up the story. A really great series, set in a modern (if not slightly futuristic) world, with (mostly?) realistic characters in a conspiracy-centered plot. All available through the 'flix, movies included.

Plenty more where those came from, I assure you. =p But for now, I think that should be good. Expand your criteria a bit (give some examples of what you've seen in the past, if not genres), and I'll gladly share some more titles.

If it were a whole face on his hand, and the character was a halfbreed, I'd say Vampire Hunter D. Otherwise, Hellsing sounds likely, I suppose.

it's vampire hunter d
the main character plays host to a sentient symbiote that is on his hand.

I just noticed that Takenaka Hanbei looks strikingly different in Sengoku Basara than he looks in Sengoku Musou / Musou Orochi. I'm watching Sengoku Basara on Netflix, and that one glaring difference is freaking me out.

hanbeisb.jpg hanbeism.jpg
From left to right: Hanbei in Sengoku Basara (Samurai Kings?) and in Sengoku Musou / Musou Orochi (Samurai Warriors / Warriors Orochi).

Last edited:
I just noticed that Takenaka Hanbei looks strikingly different in Sengoku Basara than he looks in Sengoku Musou / Musou Orochi. I'm watching Sengoku Basara on Netflix, and that one glaring difference is freaking me out.

View attachment 843 View attachment 845
From left to right: Hanbei in Sengoku Basara (Samurai Kings?) and in Sengoku Musou / Musou Orochi (Samurai Warriors / Warriors Orochi).
Uhh, are you suggesting he's the only one? Lol. Most of the characters look quite different. I mean, hell, Magoichi is a chick in SenBa, but a guy in Samurai Warriors. Tadakatsu's a Gundam. (See: "Hondam.") Hideyoshi's a massive, ape-like beast of a man, as opposed to the little "monkey" that he is in Samurai Warriors. The list goes on.

hahaha

I only knew them from Warriors Orochi, but Hanbei sticks out the most to me while watching Sengoku Basara on Netflix.

View attachment 843 View attachment 845

One is made by crapcom (sengoku basara)
The other is tecmo koei.

The jpn version of the sengoku basara anime is my favorite. Better voice acting.

Also i think the sengoku basara masamune is freaking awesome.
And not an ahole little kid In green.

Last edited:
hahaha

I only knew them from Warriors Orochi, but Hanbei sticks out the most to me while watching Sengoku Basara on Netflix.

since you are watching sengoku basara, maybe you might enjoy this from the movie end credits. it always makes me laugh, you'll have to enlarge it though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enzo0
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"