Anyone else getting tired of retro indies?

My problem is that the bit pixel art games can look good and do look good with a small budget.

However time and time again when indies have a small budget and try to make 3D games, so much of the time it is an ugly, shitty mess that looks like it belongs on the PS1.

Perfect example. Minecraft is popular despite its graphics. A ton of people rip on it for its graphics, but fact of the matter is, those graphics were largely created by 1 single individual. A lot of the indie games only have 1-5 people working on artwork.

Is hand drawn art ok?

Is this ok?
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2888/11877745123_ee80717616_n.jpg

I'm fine with 32-bit/64-bit era graphics. Hell, I'm playing Monster Seed and Shadow Madness currently. And Shadow Madness is very reminiscent of FF VII graphics.

I loved Hotline Miami. I think I'm falling for Lone Survivor. I'm excited for the Hyper Light Drifter release. But...

Please stop with the 2D retro indies.

It's 2014 and the Vita is a fantastic piece of hardware that is coming into its own, yet we get games that could have been developed for the Game Boy 25 years ago. Open up the Vita and lets see what devs can do with it. It's a Rolls Royce sitting in the garage.
The problem with that way of thinking is that the devs making the 2D retro indies aren't going to make full budget games. They are usually very small teams with very small budgets.

I'm tired of indies period
Haha, I just find this way of thinking funny. Basically your saying you'd rather have nothing, because if itv wasn't for indies we'd be sitting arOund most months not playing a damn thing. I'm not trying to rip on the Xbone, but they ignored the indies at the beginning and they aren't getting much. One full game release a month, no thanks. I'll take my PS4 and all the indies.

I'm tired of indies period
Well all of the big companies are driving themselves out of business trying to make the bad ass 3D games you love so much but since they aren't getting enough millions in sales to justify the costs... How many studios went down last gen? Like 30? A bunch of publishers too.

Haha, I just find this way of thinking funny. Basically your saying you'd rather have nothing, because if itv wasn't for indies we'd be sitting arOund most months not playing a damn thing. I'm not trying to rip on the Xbone, but they ignored the indies at the beginning and they aren't getting much. One full game release a month, no thanks. I'll take my PS4 and all the indies.
I wouldn't be sitting around. I'd still be playing Madden and NBA 2K and my endless backlog :p

I'll take my PS4 and all the indies.

I'm all for the indies, and some of them have been really good on Vita, but, for me, there is a huge difference on playing these on Vita v PS4. Vita is fantastic for quick play where you can bang out a level or less in a quick 20min-60min gaming spurt. When I fire up a wired console, I'm there and ready to binge for over an hour, and most indies don't keep my attention for that long. So repetitive. Seriously, HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO GO FALL ASLEEP IN LONE SURVIVOR?!

I'll do it 2x, maybe 3x on my Vita before calling it a night on that and moving on to something else. I can't imagine playing some of these indies on PS4 that I do on Vita. Plus, I the small screen seems like it works better for the very minimalist graphics on some of these. Rymdkapsel just looks like it would bug me on a 60in TV. On a Vita, I'll deal with it.

I'm all for the indies, and some of them have been really good on Vita, but, for me, there is a huge difference on playing these on Vita v PS4. Vita is fantastic for quick play where you can bang out a level or less in a quick 20min-60min gaming spurt. When I fire up a wired console, I'm there and ready to binge for over an hour, and most indies don't keep my attention for that long. So repetitive. Seriously, HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO GO FALL ASLEEP IN LONE SURVIVOR?!

I'll do it 2x, maybe 3x on my Vita before calling it a night on that and moving on to something else. I can't imagine playing some of these indies on PS4 that I do on Vita. Plus, I the small screen seems like it works better for the very minimalist graphics on some of these. Rymdkapsel just looks like it would bug me on a 60in TV. On a Vita, I'll deal with it.
What aboug games like Sound Shapes? Isn't that like the perfect middle ground? Can play for hours, or can get a few minutes in, not 3D, but still simple graphics.

See I have the exact opposite opinion than you do. I like being able to upload my save game from my Vita and throw it on a console and continue while I charge up the other one. Or like last night I got home from work and my wife wanted to watch South Park on Hulu and I wanted to play games. I booted up my Vita, and I did Remote Play on Knack and went to the bed and laid down next to my wife. My Knack save file is set to hard, and while it wasn't a perfect experience (a bit of stutter) I was able to get further on it than I was on the PS4 the night prior with help from my Wife.

I like playing Console games on Vita, I like playing Handheld games on consoles. I like the freedom. I don't mind playing 20 minutes of Towerfall Ascension and then going to play 15 minutes of "Let's Suck at Resogun" If nothing else I like having handheld games on the PS4 because of being able to hit share and show my friend in Arizona a game that he can buy on Vita or broadcast and skype him while I play it.

I prefer as many games on as many platforms, for as little double dipping as possible. Indies tend to be the least greedy. Not always the case but... When I buy a game, and then every Sony system they release it on, gives me a free copy? I get super stocked. Even though I hadn't started Rainbow Moon yet I bought the Vita edition because they gave a half price discount on the Vita edition and so I felt like maybe they couldn't afford to do all that work for free, and I like to support companies that will at least meet me half way. That understand they shouldn't just scalp for the purpose of scalping.

So completely opposite side of the spectrum. I want as much choice as I can and for as little as I can get away with. If Strider was cross-buy I'd own it.

What aboug games like Sound Shapes? Isn't that like the perfect middle ground? Can play for hours, or can get a few minutes in, not 3D, but still simple graphics.

See I have the exact opposite opinion than you do. I like being able to upload my save game from my Vita and throw it on a console and continue while I charge up the other one. Or like last night I got home from work and my wife wanted to watch South Park on Hulu and I wanted to play games. I booted up my Vita, and I did Remote Play on Knack and went to the bed and laid down next to my wife. My Knack save file is set to hard, and while it wasn't a perfect experience (a bit of stutter) I was able to get further on it than I was on the PS4 the night prior with help from my Wife.

I like playing Console games on Vita, I like playing Handheld games on consoles. I like the freedom. I don't mind playing 20 minutes of Towerfall Ascension and then going to play 15 minutes of "Let's Suck at Resogun" If nothing else I like having handheld games on the PS4 because of being able to hit share and show my friend in Arizona a game that he can buy on Vita or broadcast and skype him while I play it.

I prefer as many games on as many platforms, for as little double dipping as possible. Indies tend to be the least greedy. Not always the case but... When I buy a game, and then every Sony system they release it on, gives me a free copy? I get super stocked. Even though I hadn't started Rainbow Moon yet I bought the Vita edition because they gave a half price discount on the Vita edition and so I felt like maybe they couldn't afford to do all that work for free, and I like to support companies that will at least meet me half way. That understand they shouldn't just scalp for the purpose of scalping.

So completely opposite side of the spectrum. I want as much choice as I can and for as little as I can get away with. If Strider was cross-buy I'd own it.

You should own it anyway. Strider is amazing!

I'm down with the remote play idea going console to Vita, and don't have a problem knocking out a few hours on my Vita with different games (including some indies).

I have no desire to throw a Vita minimalist game on a 60in TV though. A PS4 is better than that, and think that, when an actual variety library of games show up on PS4, most indies will need to reinvent themselves.

Going back to a few posts ago, I just want to have more than a D-pad & two buttons...especially with the technology that is available on a Vita or PS4. Come up with an idea, fund it through Kickstarter, and have at it.

I'm down with the remote play idea going console to Vita, and don't have a problem knocking out a few hours on my Vita with different games (including some indies).

I have no desire to throw a Vita minimalist game on a 60in TV though. A PS4 is better than that, and think that, when an actual variety library of games show up on PS4, most indies will need to reinvent themselves.

Going back to a few posts ago, I just want to have more than a D-pad & two buttons...especially with the technology that is available on a Vita or PS4. Come up with an idea, fund it through Kickstarter, and have at it.

A PS4 is better than having great, quality games on it? Get off the graphical high horse man! Why does a game being simple automatically drop in value or quality in your eyes? That makes absolutely no sense. I've done Big Screen on Steam with plenty an indie on my 55" and they look just fine. I don't understand this aversion simply because there wasn't a big budget behind the game. A great game is a great game. Period. The graphical fidelity of it doesn't matter in the slightest.

I wouldn't be, I have more then enough games that aren't indie, to hold me over til something else interests me. I don't play a game, beat it then toss it. I play all of my games when I get the time.

Well all of the big companies are driving themselves out of business trying to make the bad ass 3D games you love so much but since they aren't getting enough millions in sales to justify the costs... How many studios went down last gen? Like 30? A bunch of publishers too.

don't own 3d games, first person shooters and I don't get along, I don't like uncharted or god of war. I want a good game with substance. I have yet to come across an indie that provides me with what I like as a whole. I'm not saying they are bad.

don't own 3d games, first person shooters and I don't get along, I don't like uncharted or god of war. I want a good game with substance. I have yet to come across an indie that provides me with what I like as a whole. I'm not saying they are bad.
You're confused on the usage of 3D.

Costume Quest is 3D
Space Channel 5 part 2 is 3D
Devil May Cry is 3D
Street Fighter IV is 3D

I'm talking talking about wearing 3D glasses and watching the depth of the image change. I'm talking about the difference between Thomas Was Alone (being 2D) and Blade Kitten (3D characters and world 2D play style)

I'm talking about character modelling in 3D being expensive and that's why they do pixel art for indie games.

You know that is an interesting theory that I never gave much thought. If indie games didn't constantly come along it might be possible to suggest that I would be looking to get more out of my big developer games, and wouldn't be as quick as I was to dismiss them after I got my coveted 100%. It could very well be one of the factors to why we got so much more out of our games in the earlier generations. [Most of us] were young, didn't have access to every new game on launch day, and quite frankly had to wait years for the next in a series. So we played what we had. Now that we have Steam (which I have been known to refer to it as the skid row of gaming) we constantly have somewhere to go for a quick cheap fix during those long waiting periods.

You know that is an interesting theory that I never gave much thought. If indie games didn't constantly come along it might be possible to suggest that I would be looking to get more out of my big developer games, and wouldn't be as quick as I was to dismiss them after I got my coveted 100%. It could very well be one of the factors to why we got so much more out of our games in the earlier generations. [Most of us] were young, didn't have access to every new game on launch day, and quite frankly had to wait years for the next in a series. So we played what we had. Now that we have Steam (which I have been known to refer to it as the skid row of gaming) we constantly have somewhere to go for a quick cheap fix during those long waiting periods.
I'd argue that for the most part it's that back in those days most games were shitty.

For every Mario, Zelda, Sonic, Ducktales, Megaman, etc... there were countless...

E.T., Ghostbusters, Bill and Ted, etc.

Just look up LJN. That company alone made some of the worst games ever. They made dozens of them by themselves.

Probably a ratio of like 1 percent good to crap ratio.

Now adays it's like half of all the indie games are worth playing, especially since they aren't $50 like back then and probably at least a quarter of all game releases are worth playing at the very least.

The quality of gaming has gotten WAY better.

I'd argue that for the most part it's that back in those days most games were shitty.

For every Mario, Zelda, Sonic, Ducktales, Megaman, etc... there were countless...

E.T., Ghostbusters, Bill and Ted, etc.

Just look up LJN. That company alone made some of the worst games ever. They made dozens of them by themselves.

Probably a ratio of like 1 percent good to crap ratio.

Now adays it's like half of all the indie games are worth playing, especially since they aren't $50 like back then and probably at least a quarter of all game releases are worth playing at the very least.

The quality of gaming has gotten WAY better.

I wouldn't exactly call 1/4 the amount of games being good a great thing. The quality has declined these days in light of the sheer amount of quantity. And especially so because of the emphasis on photorealism. There aren't many good games out today. Maybe it was my particular tastes, but there wasn't a classic I played that I failed to enjoy.

I wouldn't exactly call 1/4 the amount of games being good a great thing. The quality has declined these days in light of the sheer amount of quantity. And especially so because of the emphasis on photorealism. There aren't many good games out today. Maybe it was my particular tastes, but there wasn't a classic I played that I failed to enjoy.
you're crazy lol. Did you not read anything else I typed? Right now is like the golden age of gaming. More games now than ever before are great. Just because not every game is stellar doesn't mean that now is bad for gaming.

Gaming has pretty much never been better. You can buy $10 remakes of games that were worth the $50 they charged for them. Batman games are actually good again. There were about 12 terrible ones prior to Rocksteady. Most movie games weren't worth playing, now at least some of them are playable and even enjoyable if not actually good quality.

There are still some shitty games. Most of them are on Nintendo stuff.

The reasons those games are called CLASSICS are good game. There are like a dozen terrible games to every classic or worse.

Now a days at least 1 out of every 4 games are worth playing. There was so much terrible crap from like Atari to PS2 days. You just remember the good ones and you don't remember the... rainbows.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"