Game of Thrones (TV Show) Season 4 Discussion

Not sure if you're familiar with Comicbookgirl19 on youtube but she posts a ton of Game Of Thrones recaps and background videos that really helped me get into the story. She does a great job at keeping her videos spoiler free and helps differentiate the book from the show. Here latest recap is here. Great stuff in this weeks episode
Cool, I might check it out. But I am leery about people who bring up the book on any level. As there are always nuances mentioned that I can usually piece together, which will end up spoiling the experience for me. Much like how people say, no spoilers, but you will love the twist at the end and from there on you start looking at things you weren't supposed to at that time.

If you want a reference of her style that wont spoil anything for you, I can link you her Hunger Games review :p

vMr1dgc.jpg

The H is not Silent

Episode 5

I was a bit disappointed this week, as not really that much happened to really drive the main storylines.

Margaery got permission from Cersei to marry Tommen, yay? Even though I do think that they are the best option currently available, this is the worst time to be a Lannister or to marry into one.

Danny has basically DriveClubed her storyline at this point. Yes, I am sure this is a good decision to make as a ruler to delay your war to help 'your' citizens, but this is was an obvious issue, as you can't simply just free people raised to be oppressed and expect them to easily hold power unaided. But, by the time she makes it to King's Landing, there is no telling what the situation will be and what her chances of success will be at that time.

Baelish and Lysa killed Jon Arryn, I didn't see that coming, but I didn't know Catelyn's sister was legitimately nuts from the word go. Little Finger is more than likely going to knock off Lysa, but I do wonder what will happen with Sansa now. Will she marry her cousin? Eww..

Now the Hound knows that Arya put him on her hit list, but I feel like her storyline has pretty much put itself in park until she is able to actually do something with a sword.

Cersei requesting that her daughter be given a boat, I know this has to be more important than just a gift. It could be me being paranoid, but the scene would be pointless otherwise.

I still don't get this idea that John shouldn't know that Branden is around, especially since there is no guarantee that either will ever see another family member again. Locke's story was a complete waste, but Hodor was pretty badass. And I have a feeling Jojen Reed thinks his time will end soon.

Past that, ending on the burning of Craster's Keep, was meh.

Episode 5

I was a bit disappointed this week, as not really that much happened to really drive the main storylines.

Margaery got permission from Cersei to marry Tommen, yay? Even though I do think that they are the best option currently available, this is the worst time to be a Lannister or to marry into one.

Danny has basically DriveClubed her storyline at this point. Yes, I am sure this is a good decision to make as a ruler to delay your war to help 'your' citizens, but this is was an obvious issue, as you can't simply just free people raised to be oppressed and expect them to easily hold power unaided. But, by the time she makes it to King's Landing, there is no telling what the situation will be and what her chances of success will be at that time.

Baelish and Lysa killed Jon Arryn, I didn't see that coming, but I didn't know Catelyn's sister was legitimately nuts from the word go. Little Finger is more than likely going to knock off Lysa, but I do wonder what will happen with Sansa now. Will she marry her cousin? Eww..

Now the Hound knows that Arya put him on her hit list, but I feel like her storyline has pretty much put itself in park until she is able to actually do something with a sword.

Cersei requesting that her daughter be given a boat, I know this has to be more important than just a gift. It could be me being paranoid, but the scene would be pointless otherwise.

I still don't get this idea that John shouldn't know that Branden is around, especially since there is no guarantee that either will ever see another family member again. Locke's story was a complete waste, but Hodor was pretty badass. And I have a feeling Jojen Reed thinks his time will end soon.

Past that, ending on the burning of Craster's Keep, was meh.
i feel that this episode was a build up episode for the upcoming big events for the second half of the season.

vMr1dgc.jpg

The H is not Silent
How long were you waiting to post that :p

In terms of entertainment value, I really like this ep. Everything seemed to flow very smoothly for a good portion of the characters I actually care about.

Dany is an ehh storyline for me so I'm glad she was put in neutral for a bit. I should like her character because of the way she handles her business. But something about her isn't clicking with me. I think it may be the fact that lately you see her in some city>city has slaves>slaves are freed and asked to join the army. I care less about her storyline right now than I do Rickon. I'm actually curious to see what he's up to. I'm hoping to one day get back on track with her but it was a real struggle for me to not to go and do other things while her sections played in the background.

The Baelish/Lysa bit was pretty shocking. I never expected that bomb to be dropped. As much as I dislike Baelish, if he could spartan kick Lysa and her son through the moon door, he would totally redeem himself in my eyes. Lysa is a piece of shit and her son is gross and awkward. I'm kind of glad Sansa got a taste of what her aunt truly is early. She's starting to become a little less oblivious. Secretly, if Baelish would kick her through that door, I'd be equally as happy. But from what I hear, Sansa's story does get better from here so, fingers crossed.

The Arya/Hound bit was a quick little dab in the water. I'm hoping this leads to Arya getting some real training from the hound. Mix in her water dancing with the hounds brute force styling and Arya could be a force to reckon with. Arya wouldn't necessarily use the hounds style offensively but would actually learn how to counter it with her water dancing approach.

The whole time I sat and watched the last scene at Crasters keep, I kept thinking something fucked up was going to happen. Especially when Hodor had Locke. When he held him up, I thought for a second Locke was going to counter and end up killing Hodor. Hodor ended that thought process pretty quickly. From what I hear, this scene differs from the actual events in the book and that there will be more differences to come. If this is the case, I hope they keep up with GRRM style and cater less to normal TV audiences. The whole Crasters Keep scene was... not great. The scene felt kind of cheap. The fight choreography might have killed it for me. I've seen more epic battles in Community.

**Side note/off topic*
While waiting for GoT to become available on HBOgo, I've started watching Silicon Valley. I'm only 3 episodes in but I'm really starting to like that show. The 3rd episode was by far the funniest. Not going into detail just something that weighed on me when waiting for Games to start.

**Side note/off topic*
While waiting for GoT to become available on HBOgo, I've started watching Silicon Valley. I'm only 3 episodes in but I'm really starting to like that show. The 3rd episode was by far the funniest. Not going into detail just something that weighed on me when waiting for Games to start.

I've also been watching Silicon Valley, great show!

How long were you waiting to post that :p

In terms of entertainment value, I really like this ep. Everything seemed to flow very smoothly for a good portion of the characters I actually care about.

Dany is an ehh storyline for me so I'm glad she was put in neutral for a bit. I should like her character because of the way she handles her business. But something about her isn't clicking with me. I think it may be the fact that lately you see her in some city>city has slaves>slaves are freed and asked to join the army. I care less about her storyline right now than I do Rickon. I'm actually curious to see what he's up to. I'm hoping to one day get back on track with her but it was a real struggle for me to not to go and do other things while her sections played in the background.

The Baelish/Lysa bit was pretty shocking. I never expected that bomb to be dropped. As much as I dislike Baelish, if he could spartan kick Lysa and her son through the moon door, he would totally redeem himself in my eyes. Lysa is a piece of shit and her son is gross and awkward. I'm kind of glad Sansa got a taste of what her aunt truly is early. She's starting to become a little less oblivious. Secretly, if Baelish would kick her through that door, I'd be equally as happy. But from what I hear, Sansa's story does get better from here so, fingers crossed.

The Arya/Hound bit was a quick little dab in the water. I'm hoping this leads to Arya getting some real training from the hound. Mix in her water dancing with the hounds brute force styling and Arya could be a force to reckon with. Arya wouldn't necessarily use the hounds style offensively but would actually learn how to counter it with her water dancing approach.

The whole time I sat and watched the last scene at Crasters keep, I kept thinking something fucked up was going to happen. Especially when Hodor had Locke. When he held him up, I thought for a second Locke was going to counter and end up killing Hodor. Hodor ended that thought process pretty quickly. From what I hear, this scene differs from the actual events in the book and that there will be more differences to come. If this is the case, I hope they keep up with GRRM style and cater less to normal TV audiences. The whole Crasters Keep scene was... not great. The scene felt kind of cheap. The fight choreography might have killed it for me. I've seen more epic battles in Community.

**Side note/off topic*

that pic was from the Game of Thrones sub-reddit.

i don't want to give you any spoilers but this season will probably be the season where the good guys gets more win moments instead of losing moments.

DXHY1WP.gif

Last edited:
Episode: 6

Stannis and Davos get funded by the Iron Bank of Braavos - I was glad to finally get to see the Bank of Braavos, and them backing Stannis now is going to only add to the ensuing chaos.

Yara attempts to rescue Theon - This went pretty much as I had expected, and thankfully they didn't milk the whole scene just to let it go sideways in the end. But, I will say, the march off to rescue her brother on last season just feels shallow now given how this all went down. Theon going to be used as a spy does sound interesting, and I didn't quite get who he was talking about when he said he was going to help take back a castle.

Danny - Her story continues to spin its wheels. The dragons are pretty much out of control, or at least one of them is. She's playing queen now, and is learning what it means to try and rule with an iron fist. Her scenes just can't end quick enough now.

Hand of the King meeting - Tywin puts 100 silver stangs as a bounty on The Hound, this is only going to put Arya in the crosshairs. But, hopefully it will give her practice on how to use needle in a more efficient way. It looks like there is going to be another plot against Danny again, but I almost feel like it is going to be a much more diplomatic approach since Tywin says "If it comes to that" in response to Marcel asking if she should be taken care of by force.

Verys and Oberyn by the throne - Such a good exchange. Oberyn has grown quickly on me and Verys I think is just fantastic. The ending of the speech I think shows that Verys is behind more than we know, and he isn't looking to sit on the throne as much as he is looking to control it or who sits on it.

The Trial - Obviously Tyrion was pretty much doomed from the start and had zero defense. Shae's appearance didn't shock me, as I had a feeling she would be popping up. I still don't think she is stabbing him in the back though, I just think this is a plot much bigger than we are expecting (Verys?). Jaime is my guess for Tyrion's Champion, and my guess is that they will have to offer a purse to get someone to challenge him and that Bronn will accept it.

Much better than last week. So much still spinning in my head, so I might have to rewatch it and see if I missed anything on the first go.

Episode 7

New added parts to the intro look awesome!

Tyrion's plight for finding a champion, was as we all expected, a major portion of this episode. Jaime was the obvious choice, and I guess he just isn't able to get back into the groove as much as I had thought. He seemed to be holding his own against Bran, until he stole his fake hand that is. I was actually surprised to see the Mountain already available to be the Court's champion, as I thought he was further away. I guess I need to get a better idea of the geography of the show.

The new Mountain is being played by an Icelandic Body Builder. I know this simply because I watch a ton of HBO's Vice also, and there was an episode about Iceland where it was brought up. I just didn't want to say anything just in case it spoiled something for someone else. I think the new guy will do a good job, he seemed like a cool person on Vice, but that doesn't mean he can act.

With the Mountain entering the fight, it only made sense for Oberyn to join in. I very excited to see him fight finally.

Arya is adapting to her situation more, but even though she can comfortably kill, she still doesn't know how to fight. Not much new here except a developing friendship with The Hound.

Brienne and Podrick run into Hot Pie, this is obviously the lead they needed to get them to a Stark. But, they somehow construe the information about finding Arya and instead head back to Sansa. So far, meh.

The Night's Watch is pretty screwed here, and this is simply due to Alliser Thorne. I absolutely hate that guy, mainly because I have had a few bosses like that in previous jobs. His head is so far up his own ass that it is back on his shoulders again.

Danny hooks up with Daario, still acts like a dictator, still don't care. I had hopes for her as a potential queen of Westeros, but now I just want her to lose.

Melisandre says that the lord of light has plans for Shireen Baratheon. My first thought is that it has something to do with the scales on her face, but I can't help but wonder if it isn't to have leverage against Davos.

Little Finger pushes Lysa out of the moon door. I couldn't have been the only one who saw this coming a mile away. But, I do know I'm not the only who is glad to see her fly. Now Little Finger is king of the Veil and will obviously try to put Sansa at his side. But, with Brienne on the way, this is going to get complicated.

Great episode, but it feels like we are building up to so many story climaxes that we are having to jump more and more to hit all of the bases. I am starting to want to see characters come back to each other, just so we can stop with everyone on some journey to some place where someone else was 3 episodes ago.

Little Finger is more than likely going to knock off Lysa, but I do wonder what will happen with Sansa now.
As much as I dislike Baelish, if he could spartan kick Lysa and her son through the moon door, he would totally redeem himself in my eyes. Lysa is a piece of shit and her son is gross and awkward.

Holy shit, both of you predicted the ending to this episode almost exactly as it happened :D

Who else saw that ending coming? (or at least 4 or 5 minutes before it happened :p)

I'll read through this once I catch up, just watched ep2 of season 4, so good and good by Joffery you won't be missed.

I've been trying to catch up, I also watched the Red Wedding on Friday, and holy fuck, what a gut punch that was.

Can't wait to catch up. I'll be caught up by the time next episode airs. So ill be here to contribute

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"