Minecraft. Good or simply overrated?

darkforcegod

PSLS Level: Bronze
PSLS Ambassador
So if you read the article here on PSLS you know about Minecraft breaking 12 records I think it was. So the thing is, do you consider Minecraft a game that deserves all that love and hype or you simply think its boring, not for you and overrated???

Let me know down below. Remember we all have different opinions.

Personally I think Minecraft is extremely overrated.. but that is also because I fail to see the appeal of it, it just feels like a bad game to me.

It's a good game. I had an argument with Arthur Satine, and he had played it in the early days, he started playing it, and he enjoyed it, the problem is Minecraft takes your imagination to really enjoy. People who call it 3D legos, haven't actually played it.

Survival is no less difficult than Demon's Souls. Perhaps even more difficult. This coming from someone who platinumed Demon's Souls and made Youtube videos about the game. There's crafting, enchanting, you use levels to make your gear more powerful, make potions, and poisons, I HATE fighting witches because they can poison me and so then my diamond gear with all these buffs doesn't help as much.

You can crank it up to hard, you can make it to where 1 death and you're done, and on the harder difficulties survival is extremely difficult. There's a whole lot to learn, and experience, once you die you have 5 minutes to get back to where you were, which can be extremely difficult, so it helps to build strategic locations to store things, but if you don't build it right and a creeper blows up the wall, AND yourself now you've lost everything.

It's a very difficult game...

But only if you want it to be. You can crank it up on peaceful, and just enjoy that aspect of it. The Lego part peopel refer to. You can build electrical devices, and people experiment with programming...

I haven't even gotten to the end game stuff. The Nether, the End, the Ender Dragon, the Wither Dragon, PVP matches against other people using custom maps, and then you start getting into mods, and servers...

I don't know how anyone can call it overrated. It lets people enjoy the game the way they want to. Extreme challenge, exploration, creativity, art, engineering, interior decorating, modding, mini games, it's everything a Lego Game should be, the only downside is it doesn't have the best story, and the original graphics can be off putting.

It's by no means a bad game.

At first glance, Minecraft seems to be a very basic game with very little to offer except for building and using ones imagination-virtual Legos. Graphically, the game has a very generic feel so it doesn't have that visual capturing interest other games have which can sucker you in, only later to find out the game-play itself sucks. After diving into Minecraft for an hour or so with my kids, I found this game has a lot more to offer than just the basic block building aspects. My son showed me that not only can you build, lets say a house, but you can use certain blocks and materials to create an electric circuit. Though we didn't make anything spectacular, I started to think about all the paths of possibilities this has to offer-traps, lighting, secret dungeon pathways, etc.
Survival Mode adds a whole new experience to the game-play as well. The ability to start a world in creative and then switch it to survival is a pretty neat feature too. All in all, I don't think the game is over hyped at all. I think for those who haven't really dived into the game, hasn't experience all it has to offer or even realize all it has to offer. I'll admit, at first i was very turned off by this game and just couldn't understand why so many people liked it. Now I know why people like it so much and why it gets so many positive reviews. Though I'm still learning more things that this game has to offer, I can say "I get it."

Wait till you make your first automatic wheat farms, and start farming stuff for exp to make potions or enchant your armor

At first glance, Minecraft seems to be a very basic game with very little to offer except for building and using ones imagination-virtual Legos. Graphically, the game has a very generic feel so it doesn't have that visual capturing interest other games have which can sucker you in, only later to find out the game-play itself sucks. After diving into Minecraft for an hour or so with my kids, I found this game has a lot more to offer than just the basic block building aspects. My son showed me that not only can you build, lets say a house, but you can use certain blocks and materials to create an electric circuit. Though we didn't make anything spectacular, I started to think about all the paths of possibilities this has to offer-traps, lighting, secret dungeon pathways, etc.
Survival Mode adds a whole new experience to the game-play as well. The ability to start a world in creative and then switch it to survival is a pretty neat feature too. All in all, I don't think the game is over hyped at all. I think for those who haven't really dived into the game, hasn't experience all it has to offer or even realize all it has to offer. I'll admit, at first i was very turned off by this game and just couldn't understand why so many people liked it. Now I know why people like it so much and why it gets so many positive reviews. Though I'm still learning more things that this game has to offer, I can say "I get it."
I didnt even know I could do any of that or that it was even needed LOL

Haha, My daughter showed me a netherportal last night along with some other portal for a dragon. Crazy!
Ah yes the ender dragon inside the End accessed by the end portal.

You have to find (or in creative make) the portal. It requires Enderpearls farmed off of Endermen, and blaze powders farmed off of Blazes to be combined into Eyes of ender, used to make a chest that you can put your most valuable items in, because only you can access the contents of the chest even though everyone can use it, the data is saved separate for everyone.

You put the Eyes of Ender into the Ender portal to gain access. I do most of my enderfamring in desert regions, at night, on hard.

As far as the depth of Minecraft, I compare it to LittleBigPlanet. Very different games, I know, but similar in theory. The game is as complicated/deep as you want it to be. You can go through and experience it on the surface or dig deep and build the most intricate of creations.

As far as the depth of Minecraft, I compare it to LittleBigPlanet. Very different games, I know, but similar in theory. The game is as complicated/deep as you want it to be. You can go through and experience it on the surface or dig deep and build the most intricate of creations.
In reality, it's like Skyrim, Lego, and Demon's Souls all got together and had a baby.

You can steal shit from people. You can buy and sell things. You can create your own rogue's den and make your own story through your play. You can build and create things with blocks, and if you die you have 5 minutes to get back or... damn you just wasted a lot of time. Unless you died in lava. Sorry nothing can help you're just screwed.

In reality, it's like Skyrim, Lego, and Demon's Souls all got together and had a baby.

You can steal shit from people. You can buy and sell things. You can create your own rogue's den and make your own story through your play. You can build and create things with blocks, and if you die you have 5 minutes to get back or... damn you just wasted a lot of time. Unless you died in lava. Sorry nothing can help you're just screwed.
It's that diversity that makes it resonate with soooo many people.

It's that diversity that makes it resonate with soooo many people.
It's also the diversity that makes people not see the big picture and pigeon hole it and go "Oh well it's just a kids game" and then look at a hardcore gamer who is obsessed with it and be like "Really?!"

It's hard to explain a game that is in that much detail. People can't get past the part of kids being really into it, to see that it only exists because adults got addicted to it and made recommendations, mods, and eventually made it what it is. Kids jumped on because... well... because back in Alpha the creative was all there was for a while.

It's just a weird crowd source amalgamation. Made by adults, for adults, but by so few people that it basically was easy to be kid friendly because gore is kinda time intensive. It's easier to have stuff puff into smoke than it is to have stuff get chopped in half.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"