Name Some Awesome Documentries

Dan Oravasaari

PSLS Level: Bronze
Staff member
I'm on a big documentry kick at the moment, anyone got any suggestions on what to watch? Currently, I am watching Blackfish. So far, I highly recommend it, especially if you like ever went to SeaWorld or Marine World as a kid.

This is how I feel when you mention Marine World

On topic, if you were ever a wrestling fan, a lot of the WWE documentaries are really good. If not, they still provide a good look at everything that happened behind the scenes.

Last edited:
Bad experience at Marine World with a plastic bag?

Yeah, I used to when I was a lot younger. I actually went to go watch Beyond the Mat when it first came out in theaters with some friends. One of which is now a professional wrestler on the indie circuit.

Bad experience at Marine World with a plastic bag?

Yeah, I used to when I was a lot younger. I actually went to go watch Beyond the Mat when it first came out in theaters with some friends. One of which is now a professional wrestler on the indie circuit.

I can't even talk about the bag incident without breaking down.

Marine World had its ups and downs though. I loved the Whale ball pit, the fruit punch in the plastic animal cups and the water show. You can only go to a zoo so many times before it stops being fun, though.

The Aristocrats is a hilarious and incredibly vulgar documentary featuring over 80 comedians who analyze and retell a popular industry inside joke. Be warned that it requires a dark and sometimes childish sense of humor.

if you love sushi you can watch Jiro Dreams of Sushi. one of the best sushi restaurant in the world. there's a 2 month reservation period whoever you are and 30000 yen fee

if you love sushi you can watch Jiro Dreams of Sushi. one of the best sushi restaurant in the world. there's a 2 month reservation period whoever you are and 30000 yen fee

I've seen it listed on Netflix, I might have to give it a shot. Thanks!

The Aristocrats is a hilarious and incredibly vulgar documentary featuring over 80 comedians who analyze and retell a popular industry inside joke. Be warned that it requires a dark and sometimes childish sense of humor.

This sounds perfect for me ;)

I saw that and really liked it. Made me crave some sushi :p
Then I actually did some research on his restaurant and read some reviews and found a shocking amount of people claiming that they had really bad experiences there. Many people talked about Jiro himself being rude to customers for reasons I don't exactly remember (one was him rushing them to eat and get out) and apparently the customer service and quality of the sushi will depend on if Jiro deems you "worthy" of visiting his establishment.
Such a disappointment because I would have been more than happy to spend a couple hundred just to taste his sushi.

Anyways, sorry for that tangent OP. Some great documentaries I've seen are:

Food Inc. - Tells about the practices of the food industry and how harmful GMOs can be
The Cove - Analysis of the amount of dolphin hunting done in Japan
Indie Game: The Movie - Stories of some indie devs (makers of Fez, Super Meat Boy, Braid & a few others)
The Invisible War - Tells about sexual assault in the US military

Thanks for the heads up, it is good to hear some unbiased reviews of a location. Looks like I will have to do some research outside of the documentary too, once I finally watch it.

I've also got hooked on HBO's VICE if you guys are into investigative journalism. There are a ton of documentaries on YouTube if anyone is interested in checking some out.

Thanks for the heads up, it is good to hear some unbiased reviews of a location. Looks like I will have to do some research outside of the documentary too, once I finally watch it.

Damn now I feel like I might have tainted the initial experience and opinion you would have had of the documentary :/
Despite all that its still a very good and interesting documentary. Hope you do enjoy it.

I normally take things with a grain of salt, as biases are a great way to sell a product or idea. But, you gave me some foundation to work off of, which will ground my own expectations so don't worry about it.

I just watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi and I thought it was a good documentry, and even though @Howl Pendragon ruined it for me, I still would like to try Jiro's sushi before he passes on. Sadly, I don't know when or if I will get a chance to go to Japan, so no telling if that will ever happen. Guess I will just have to hit up some local sushi places in the mean time.

I think the major takeaway from Jiro Dreams of Sushi is to be more passionate about where you work and do everything you can to excel for personal reasons, not just monetary ones.

anybody else here knows about the documentary Heart of Dankness (about the movie Apocalypse Now) and/or Room 237 (about the movie The Shining)?

Any of the Walking with Dinosaurs entries. Religulous is amazing, Cosmos could be considered a docuseries as well as The Universe. There are tons more I've seen, I just need to browse my Netflix history. And remember what I've seen on History and H2.

freakonomics.jpg
I caught this on Netflix. It has some weird statistics from economists, such as how names matter when you're applying for a job and how patterns in numbers can detect fraud in even the strangest of places - like Japan's sumo wrestling circuit. If you like documentaries, I would definitely go with this one. It appears to be based on a book, and it even goes on to explain how numbers remove bias.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enzo0
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"