New Game + and DLC...

chichi

PSLS Level: Bronze
It seems that most of the games that came out (from last gen) and/or coming out has a new game+/DLC story mode.

When you pay full price for a game and they suddenly offer a DLC in which you have to pay again, I always feel like that the developers are cheating on me. We used to have games that we can play for hundreds of hours just to acquire/max out every single item/stat/weapon/skill etc... in a game. Now we can easily do this via a simple click of a button a "purchase this" icon.

Does this feature make your gameplay experience better or does it make it worse?

The new game + really does nothing for me because I rarely play through a game more than once.

I only pay for DLC when they are tied to the story and even then I have to love the game so I can spend 10 or 15 dollars for the DLC. For games as TLOU I got the season pass and for Bioshock Infinite because I love the story main gameplay of those games. I dont really like to pay for Multiplayer DLC like COD or BF.

I agree with both @Lifewish and @darkforcegod about DLC. Typically I only play through a title once, unless it is a game I am replaying from a long time ago. Also if it is simply a map pack like for Call of Duty I am not going to get it. Now if it is story related, that is another story.

I agree with both @Lifewish and @darkforcegod about DLC. Typically I only play through a title once, unless it is a game I am replaying from a long time ago. Also if it is simply a map pack like for Call of Duty I am not going to get it. Now if it is story related, that is another story.

Most story based DLC kind of sucks IMO. It is usually a side story of a character I don't give a shit about.

I think this is one of those issues that has a bigger bark than it's bite. I tell myself that I really like DLC (quality DLC that is.) but if I wanted to really be honest with myself I know I could live just as easily without it. I cannot name a single bit of DLC that I absolutely needed in order to enjoy the experience to it's fullest. It's typically just that little bit extra to squeeze an extra day or two max. Worst case I would have spent those same two days playing it, but just something I'm already familiar with. I will say that there are games that do give you more than that, but its mostly MMOs and F2P titles, and I'm a bit reluctant to list updates to MMOs or other F2P titles as DLC because really those games are closer to WIP than they are about adding DLC to expand what is there. I'm one of those people who still goes through fiery hoops in order to have all the pre order content, and DLC but never do I find it REALLY worth the effort I put into it. The only real grip I have with DLC is the industries need to call everything "Season Passes" when they should really just be calling it what it really is, a bundle. At one time you might have thought it was a bonus for early adopters to buy into it before they release all the content, but lately it's entirely possible to just wait until they announce and even release the DLC and still buy the "season pass"

As for NG+ I feel close to the same way. It's one of those things I tell myself I really like, but rarely do I ever make it through the entire playthrough. When you acquired all the good stuff the first time through you don't have a lot of motivation to do all the hellbending things you had to do the first time in order to get it. A good example are those dungeons with 100 floors of "challenge" sure I might get that ultimate bit of gear or whatever, but now that I have it why would I go through another 100 floors of filler?

I dont like F2P too much because when you have money yeah you can be a god in the game but when you dont have a lot of money you will have to do everything in the game the hard way and takes way longer.

It seems that most of the games that came out (from last gen) and/or coming out has a new game+/DLC story mode.

When you pay full price for a game and they suddenly offer a DLC in which you have to pay again, I always feel like that the developers are cheating on me. We used to have games that we can play for hundreds of hours just to acquire/max out every single item/stat/weapon/skill etc... in a game. Now we can easily do this via a simple click of a button a "purchase this" icon.

Does this feature make your gameplay experience better or does it make it worse?

Well I'd say it depends, there's a lot of games that handle DLC really well such as Fallout where the DLC doesn't take away from the main game but simple adds to it and then there's the other type of DLC which is quite clearly only there to make money. The annoying thing with DLC is that it seems like nobody is quite sure what to charge for it or for that matter what the DLC should be.

I never really bother with dlc that much unless I REALLY like the game, even then it's because of the main story that I like the game so why bother? in my opinion dlc can be a rip off base on how much companies charge you, 10.00 for half an hour of gameplay? no way. and Crapcom is notorious for selling dlc that's already on disc and unlockable.

As long as the DLC expands my main game then Im okay with it. If it is MP I think it very very deeply.

I never really bother with dlc that much unless I REALLY like the game, even then it's because of the main story that I like the game so why bother? in my opinion dlc can be a rip off base on how much companies charge you, 10.00 for half an hour of gameplay? no way. and Crapcom is notorious for selling dlc that's already on disc and unlockable.

Well Capcom and EA Games are both examples of companies that are really bad with DLC. It's weird how they act like it's their fans asking for certain content even when their talking to their fans.

Well Capcom and EA Games are both examples of companies that are really bad with DLC. It's weird how they act like it's their fans asking for certain content even when their talking to their fans.

Yes. As much as I like their games the do that. :( its a shame but I think thats what business is.

@Timewarp
what really gets on my nerves is when they get in trouble for that kinda shit and then act innocent and/or blame the consumer saying "it's their fault not ours"

The thing is I don't think it needs to be like that, there's plenty of examples of guys who get DLC right without having to resort to the tactics that EA and Bioware resort to.

@Timewarp
what really gets on my nerves is when they get in trouble for that kinda shit and then act innocent and/or blame the consumer saying "it's their fault not ours"

Yeah especially when it's obvious as to why they've done something, it's annoying to see how dumb certain guys in gaming think we gamers are you know like how EA Games made SimCity always online and told us they couldn't take away the always online connectivity and then months later add on an offline mode.

Last edited:
@Timewarp

They're just greedy I think. They act like insane people haha. Like if we the consumers were a bunch of morons.

To be fair sometimes when they tell us it's our fault you get a few idiots who actually go "Well when you put it like that, I guess it is our fault!"

I have greatly enjoyed new game+ modes in the past generations. And even then it was on games that I loved enough to replay. These days, they just don't feel the same. I suppose because, overall and in my opinion, the quality of games today have declined while their graphical prowess has increased. I guess we had to trade off. There are exceptions to that notion, but the majority of games follow it.

Chrono Trigger is a particularly fantastic example of what I am talking about. I utilized that New Game+ mutliple times so I could, not only enjoy the story and character again, but get all the other endings I could. These days, it just isn't there for me anymore.

Considering DLC is relatively new, it never had this affect on me. It is more of a novelty now. I can't honestly say there have been any DLC I required. Just some that I though might be nice to have.

Because I want a million iterations of Street Fighter 4 and Resident Evil that all suck but no good MegaMan or Onimusha games.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"