One Piece Unlimited World

BigPete7978

PSLS Level: Silver
So this One Piece game ties in with the anime I am assuming. Couple questions:
  1. Do I need to have watched the anime to play the game?
  2. Isn't this the anime with a billion episodes and counting?
  3. Why have I seen the game titled One Piece Unlimited World Red, One Piece Unlimited World R, One Piece Unlimited World Red Day One Edition?
  4. Is it turn based? What games does it compare to?
  5. Are there differences between PS3 and Vita copies?
Just looking for some details on the title, so any info is appreciated :)

I will do my best to answer your questions my son.

1. No knowledge of the anime is needed to play the games.
2. The anime has north of 600 episodes I believe.
3. The game I received for review was a Day One Edition, but right after I got it I went out of town, so NO IDEA what the day one edition has in it.
4. Best comparison for this game would be Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm with a mix of Dynasty Warriors.
5. As of right now I don't think there are any differences between PS3 and Vita, but I only received a PS3 copy for review.

Hope those answers help.

1. Do you need to watch/read the greatest Shonen Jump manga to play the game? No, not really... but this one serves as a side story that takes place in the second half of the manga/anime so it's recommended. Or at least play One Piece: Pirate Warriors beforehand, that game is a lot more newbie friendly and covers most major plot points from the series before the two year timeskip.
  2. Yes, and allegedly it's only about halfway done
  3. Unlimited World Red and Unlimited World R are the same thing, as far as I can tell. The "Day One Edition" just comes with a code for some very snazzy alternate costumes, although to be honest that yellow "Day One Edition" tag on my game box is a bit unsightly.
  4. Really hard to describe, I guess the combat at its core is very action RPG, but the way you move around kind of reminds me of Ni no Kuni or Star Ocean. There's no wait for your basic square and circle melee attacks, but other actions like special moves and boosts require a bar to fill up or a recharge. Outside of the action, the game has a ton of minigames and a town building system similar to the Villa in Assassin's Creed II. To say that the game has a large item list is an understatement, you'll have to really try to get some of those resources in order to build certain upgrades or buildings.
  5. I believe just the player count is the only major difference, the PS3 version only allows for 2 local players but the 3DS and Vita versions are supposed to allow for 4 players online. Not sure why the online component didn't make it to the console versions.

Last edited:
I'm current on the anime as of last week, and some of the characters from the opening cutscene are ones that I've never seen. To keep from spoiling the series for you - some of the characters that I do know should not be in the game together at the same time as their times have... elapsed in the series before certain other characters existed.

654 and counting; no sign of it letting down anytime soon. Most episodes can be watched on Hulu. I recommend the JP version with subtitles if you're interested. Less than 400 episodes are dubbed in English, and the voices are strange to adjust to going from one dub to the other.

3. Why have I seen the game titled One Piece Unlimited World Red, One Piece Unlimited World R, One Piece Unlimited World Red Day One Edition?
What @cigarley said.

It's not turn based. It's kind of like a modified Dynasty Warriors gameplay type. If you played One Piece Pirate Warriors 1 or 2, it's kind of like that, but it makes a little bit more sense in some ways.

According to the review that @Lifewish wrote, both are ports of the 3DS version. Thanks for the online info, @cigarley. I didn't know about that part. That makes me think that I made the right choice buying on Vita!

So this One Piece game ties in with the anime I am assuming. Couple questions:
Just looking for some details on the title, so any info is appreciated :)

Probably not, unlike the BLEACH games.

For the BLEACH games you have to watch the anime. Especially the most recent game soul ressureccion. For that one you need to have seen the entire series, and the most recent movie for it to make sense or be fun.
Unlike one piece, but i never really liked one piece that much. But i hope those who are playing it are having fun and kicking ass!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enzo0
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"