PS Plus Hate

MakaiOokami

PSLS Level: Bronze
If there's one thing I can't stand it's seeing the list of new games on PS Plus and seeing people go "OMG more indies?" and "WTF give us AAA titles!"

I sent a friendly message to someone that posted Indie hate. I've actually done it twice. Once was someone with the username involving Strider of all things. o_O

I get back such hatred though. The Non-Strider guy literally had the balls to say I was a new gamer, because the only way that those old school graphics would appeal to me is if I was a n00b. He even said stuff like "Is this Kojima or something I'm getting scared"

Yeah I'm a new gamer that's why I have Demon Souls, Plants Versus Zombies Vita, and Disgaea 3 platinumed as well as 16 others. Versus their 1 or 0 platinums, and being like Trophy level 10 or 12 or something super low like that. I haven't been that low a trophy level in like 4 years.

Obviously this guy was a moronic troll, but there is just so much hate on the PS Plus blog with indies.

I've played Sports Friends, and Towerfall Ascension with friends, and have smiled and laughed until I was in physical pain because of those games. Indies is where stuff you never imagined comes to take place, because too many of the big companies are trying to make everything into a Guitar Hero or Call of Duty, until they kill it off because they milked it dry. Where as you get a team of 5 people wanting to make a game that THEY will enjoy playing, and hoping that it reaches a mass audience, is where things get really interesting and creative.

I guess my problem is the "More indies?!?" crowd seems to ultimately be about graphics. It doesn't have graphics that live up to the level that they expect from a new console so it's garbage. I mean you're not going to get the AAA games out of the PS4 particularly so early. So PS+ right now is probably used by indies as a good way to get some guaranteed cash from Sony and marketing from those who actually play the games and not just whine about it being indie.

I'm pretty sure that if anything being so against indies is a sign of younger gamers, those who didn't grow up with the graphical styles that many indie games use like 2D sprites of whatever level (8-bit/16-bit/32-bit). That's not to say younger gamers can't appreciate them or that older gamers can't say "been there, done that, don't want to go back." When you grow up on games pushing the graphical side of things I suppose it could be a little jarring to see people intentionally using a retro style.

I don't know, I've said it before that I don't get the hate a lot of indies get. I think getting indies from PS+ is totally fine with me. They've given us some gems. I'm not saying that all indies are great, there are those that aren't. I guess I kind of wish the indie label didn't exist in some ways because there is such a range of games that fall under that label from an outstanding game like Rogue Legacy or Terraria to games that I didn't find to great like Proteus.

I guess in the end I don't get too upset about it all too much. If anything I just think it's too bad that people limit themselves so much because something is labeled an indie. Especially when a good number of them would have probably been considered a pretty solid game (if not AAA) a few console generations ago.

I guess my problem is the "More indies?!?" crowd seems to ultimately be about graphics. It doesn't have graphics that live up to the level that they expect from a new console so it's garbage. I mean you're not going to get the AAA games out of the PS4 particularly so early. So PS+ right now is probably used by indies as a good way to get some guaranteed cash from Sony and marketing from those who actually play the games and not just whine about it being indie.

I'm pretty sure that if anything being so against indies is a sign of younger gamers, those who didn't grow up with the graphical styles that many indie games use like 2D sprites of whatever level (8-bit/16-bit/32-bit). That's not to say younger gamers can't appreciate them or that older gamers can't say "been there, done that, don't want to go back." When you grow up on games pushing the graphical side of things I suppose it could be a little jarring to see people intentionally using a retro style.

I don't know, I've said it before that I don't get the hate a lot of indies get. I think getting indies from PS+ is totally fine with me. They've given us some gems. I'm not saying that all indies are great, there are those that aren't. I guess I kind of wish the indie label didn't exist in some ways because there is such a range of games that fall under that label from an outstanding game like Rogue Legacy or Terraria to games that I didn't find to great like Proteus.

I guess in the end I don't get too upset about it all too much. If anything I just think it's too bad that people limit themselves so much because something is labeled an indie. Especially when a good number of them would have probably been considered a pretty solid game (if not AAA) a few console generations ago.
Well the ultimate issue is that for $50 dollars a year, Sony is offering a maximum of 10 million PS4 players (closer to 5 million) games for free or at least giving them sale discounts that can amount to more than $50 as well as the 6 games a month. They have to make some profit on this, and retailers sell cards and get a cut of that and during Black Friday sometimes the cards are $20-30 dollars instead of $50.

The big AAA games can't possibly be offered enough money that would make it worth it. It's not possible. for less than $5.00 a month or $15.00-$40 dollars per person (based on digital or physical sales will provide different returns) people want multimillion dollar games

I would like to see them offer the Killzone Multiplayer and charge $1.00 every month to play it. I think it could be interesting. Or maybe Battlefield 5 could just come out for free, but you get 1 map, and you have to buy the other Maps and maybe pay $20 for the single player.

The other issue is that if they give out games like Killzone, or Battlefield 4, the other big sellers, who is really going to be happy? You are hitting a cross-road of people who bought the $400 dollar console and $50 dollars for PS Plus, but doesn't want to spend enough money to buy the $30-40 dollar game, and hasn't already bought the game, but wants to play the game, but isn't able to rent it.

That's a very very narrow crossroad of people. Just give me those day 1 release indie games. It's impossible to please the idiots who are complaining and not educated to really understand the calculations involved. If it's a multimillion dollar game figure out some other way to give great value, for limited money and I think I outlined that above with giving away the multiplayer of games people aren't buying much anymore for a low monthly charge that makes it cheaper than buying it unless you play it every month for years and years, or releasing a demo that you can expand through DLC basically for free.

$10 dollars a month from people for map packs isn't that bad of a business model if the game is really well done and the map packs. Then you can release the full game at some point for $60 dollars and have $80-100 dollars worth of maps on there, and meanwhile you were actually listening to what people wanted in new maps, and so there are lots of different experiences to be had.

Gaming industry needs to get creative damn it. Not "Buy credits, and use credits to buy shit" ass stuff.

If there's one thing I can't stand it's seeing the list of new games on PS Plus and seeing people go "OMG more indies?" and "WTF give us AAA titles!"

I sent a friendly message to someone that posted Indie hate. I've actually done it twice. Once was someone with the username involving Strider of all things. o_O

I get back such hatred though. The Non-Strider guy literally had the balls to say I was a new gamer, because the only way that those old school graphics would appeal to me is if I was a n00b. He even said stuff like "Is this Kojima or something I'm getting scared"

Yeah I'm a new gamer that's why I have Demon Souls, Plants Versus Zombies Vita, and Disgaea 3 platinumed as well as 16 others. Versus their 1 or 0 platinums, and being like Trophy level 10 or 12 or something super low like that. I haven't been that low a trophy level in like 4 years.

Obviously this guy was a moronic troll, but there is just so much hate on the PS Plus blog with indies.

I've played Sports Friends, and Towerfall Ascension with friends, and have smiled and laughed until I was in physical pain because of those games. Indies is where stuff you never imagined comes to take place, because too many of the big companies are trying to make everything into a Guitar Hero or Call of Duty, until they kill it off because they milked it dry. Where as you get a team of 5 people wanting to make a game that THEY will enjoy playing, and hoping that it reaches a mass audience, is where things get really interesting and creative.

I love having Plus! It's amazing. Those people are idiots. Plus has helped me stay with gaming while not having a lot of money. Hopefully I can reap the rewards of PS Plus next summer when I (hopefully) get a PS4. I'm actually playing Dead Space 3 with my cousin through Plus.

Just for the hell of it i'm gonna say:

I HATE PS PLUS THERE'S TOO MANY INDIE'S!!!
I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE IT!!!!!
GRRR RAWR BOO HISS!!!!
(Jk by the way)

I love having Plus! It's amazing. Those people are idiots. Plus has helped me stay with gaming while not having a lot of money. Hopefully I can reap the rewards of PS Plus next summer when I (hopefully) get a PS4. I'm actually playing Dead Space 3 with my cousin through Plus.
Well make sure you're grabbing games for free off of the PC webstore for PS4 so that when you get a PS4 you have a good sized collection.

I bought my PS4 because I was worried that not having a PS4 active when I got Outlast and Don't Starve for free might make me unable to activate them.

Nope though all the games I grabbed off of that rediculiously long web store name worked.

It's like sonyentertainmentnetwork dot com or something.

Well make sure you're grabbing games for free off of the PC webstore for PS4 so that when you get a PS4 you have a good sized collection.

I bought my PS4 because I was worried that not having a PS4 active when I got Outlast and Don't Starve for free might make me unable to activate them.

Nope though all the games I grabbed off of that rediculiously long web store name worked.

I also recommend that for anyone who is planning on buying a Vita. I have so many games that I literally cannot play them all, even I dropped out of university.

I honestly haven't seen the same PS Plus Hate that you have Makai, at least not anymore. I used to see it on the PS3 a bit more when it first came out but not so much now.

Oh you can find it easy enough. Just take a peek at any of the Playstation Plus announcement posts on the Playstation Blog you can find plenty of it if you're wanting to.

Oh you can find it easy enough. Just take a peek at any of the Playstation Plus announcement posts on the Playstation Blog you can find plenty of it if you're wanting to.

Oh yea, I never check those out to be honest. I don't get why people would ever get upset over PS Plus though.. $50 for a year of free games and discounts. There are so many indie games that I would have NEVER paid money for but with PS Plus, I have gotten the chance to enjoy them for free.

Yeah I don't check them too much, but enough to know that the hate is there. I don't really get it either. If anything I could somewhat understand the hate for needing it for online play with the PS4, but even then so many people were complaining about the PSN compared to X Box Live that well what did people expect on that?

Yeah, from what I can tell, those complaining about the PS+ line up are usually those who want "teh bestest grafix EVAR" rather than experience different games. Even then, some indie fames CAN and do look graphically impressive in their own way. They just want to see the extra 5-10 bits of polygons on their favorite sports player (jk, but still). I can understand wanting AAA titles, but it's not happening on the PS4 until halfway through its life cycle. I understand for PS3, but only for titles that are old or aren't still massively supported online-wise. Even then, they should just be happy for getting free games to begin with (I definitely am). That's just my opinion though.

Yeah, from what I can tell, those complaining about the PS+ line up are usually those who want "teh bestest grafix EVAR" rather than experience different games. Even then, some indie fames CAN and do look graphically impressive in their own way. They just want to see the extra 5-10 bits of polygons on their favorite sports player (jk, but still). I can understand wanting AAA titles, but it's not happening on the PS4 until halfway through its life cycle. I understand for PS3, but only for titles that are old or aren't still massively supported online-wise. Even then, they should just be happy for getting free games to begin with (I definitely am). That's just my opinion though.
Agreed. Also, I like your signature. :D

What matters to me is if the free game is actually fun or not.
Most of the free games are. Personal preferences aside. My friend loves Outlast so much.

They want to get a game that they want, that they don't have, that doesn't have DLC to get extra money from them, that is made by a lot of people and looks great.

Hmmm. How do I do this? Never heard about it.

Basically, you go to web browser version of the store which is store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com and it allows you to put the playstation plus games from all three platforms into your account. So say you only had a PS3 you could add the Vita or PS4 games to your account so when you did buy that platform you'd already have a library built up. You just have to "buy" them like you do when you go to the store on any of the systems, this way just allows you to choose any system since it isn't dictated by the console/handheld you're using to access it.

Yep that's how it works.

One of the mods, even said to do that on the PS Blog. I've told coworkers. I guess I should have been telling the whole world!

2d sprites and 3d graphics are different.

I'm ok with playing shining force 1,2 but i can't stand playing baldur's gate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enzo0
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"