(PS Vita) Danganronpa: Triggy Happy Havoc

Borshay

PSLS Level: Silver
Everything Vita
Developer: Spike Chunsoft
Publisher: NIS America
Category: Visual Novel, Adventure

Story:
You play as Makoto Naegi, who at the start of the game is heading towards Hope Peak Academy for his first day of school there.

14307830882_4d575ddc1e_b.jpg

Hope Peak Academy is a unique type of prep school. It only scouts and accepts the Ultimate of students. Students such as Junko Enoshima the Ultimate Fashonista, Kiyotaka Ishimaru the Ultimate Moral Compass, or Aoi Asahina the Ultimate Swimming Pro. Makoto is the Ultimate Lucky Student, he was chosen to join the school through a lottery system.

He enters the school and as things begin to distort he loses consciousness. He awakens in an empty class room with barred windows. He gets up and decides to head back to the school entrance to see if the other classmates have arrived. They are all there and appear to have woken up to similar circumstances. However at the school entrance there is a giant vault door prohibiting any of them from leaving. Soon they are summoned to the gym.

They are greeted by a robotic bear named Monokuma. He explains to the students that there is no way of escape and no chance of rescue. There is only one way to be free of the Academy. Kill one of your fellow classmates and avoid detection during the Class Trial. If the 'Blackened' is successful in his or her's deception he will live and be allowed to leave the school, while all the remaining students will die.

Gameplay:
The game is mostly in first person and you are able to roam the halls of the school, talk to others and build relationships up to learn more about them.

Each chapter consists of several parts; Free Mode, Story, Investigation, and Trial.
Free Mode is where you can roam, buy presents, discover monocoins, and talk to classmates.
Story sections occur when you are forced along the main narrative.

Investigation begins once the Discovery call has been made. It's consists of a simple point/click discover the clues around the school that will help you solve the case.

Class Trials are the final portion and is the bulk of the main story. During the Trials you partake in several minigames to discover the truth and figure out who is the 'Blackened'.
14306368521_275ca66d39_b.jpg

Of the minigames there are rhythm, hangman, and a odd health bar depletion objective. In the end you reassemble how the murder unfolded to finish off the chapter.
The primary minigame is 'Nonstop Debate', people will speak without pause and you must find the lies/inaccurate info and shoot them down with 'Truth Bullets."

The game gives very useful tutorials that are skipable if you choose.

Once the story is complete you unlock a new 'School Mode'. It's a weird crafting meets relationship builder mix. Monokuma tasks you with crafting him a statue and that request will last a set amount of days. You must gather the proper resources and create his statue by his due date. If you're successful he will give you Trip Tickets to use to build your relationship with one of your classmates. Maxing your relationships will give you a unique ending and in order to get the game's platinum trophy you'll have to repeat the mode a few times.

14123088680_6d43cb18ac_b.jpg

Final Notes:
I really enjoyed all the characters and spending the extra time with them really fleshes their character out more. Some of the trials may be predictable but it was still enjoyable learning how everything unfolded. The story relies heavily on spoilers that I will avoid, but the story is one of my favorite from recent years.

The mini games during the trial are all well done and they break most of them up enough so they don't become too repetitive. The only one you really have to do many times is 'Nonstop Debate', but it never got old for me as each time it appeared it was a different falsehood you had to correct.

I Highly Recommend this title to anyone who is interested in visual novel games like Virtue's Last Reward or the Ace Attorney games. Through the first half of 2014 it is my current Game of the Year, and one of my favorite Vita games of all time.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Chandler has been talking up this game really hard, too, but I still haven't bought it. It sounds like a lot of fun, but I'm on a purchasing hiatus for Vita games. I have like a million and only play them one at a time typically. Maybe I'll pick it up after I platinum FFX | FFX-2.

Chandler has been talking up this game really hard, too, but I still haven't bought it. It sounds like a lot of fun, but I'm on a purchasing hiatus for Vita games. I have like a million and only play them one at a time typically. Maybe I'll pick it up after I platinum FFX | FFX-2.
I'm on a 'purchase' block too. I need to clear out my backlog. The only game I'm interrupting it for is Sword Art Online. I don't think I'm going to clear it out by the time August hits where I have games paid off already (Disgaea 4, Akiba's Trip, & Danganronpa 2). I'm working on my FFX platinum, filling up that sphere grid is time consuming!

Let me just say. Danganronpa is the best vita game that I have played. If you haven't played this game you've done yourself a huge disservice. This game deserves an instant pass out of the backlog. I just loved everything about this game. The characters, the story, everything. Just, buy this game. You won't regret it.

Let me just say. Danganronpa is the best vita game that I have played. If you haven't played this game you've done yourself a huge disservice. This game deserves an instant pass out of the backlog. I just loved everything about this game. The characters, the story, everything. Just, buy this game. You won't regret it.
The second one looks awesome too. I don't want to look into it too much, because I want to avoid all spoilers!

The second one looks awesome too. I don't want to look into it too much, because I want to avoid all spoilers!
Yep , total media blackout on that one. I'm glad I was on that rayman legends livestream to tell you about this game. This game deserves any extra attention it can get. It's actually the only physical vita game that I bought(not counting AC since it came with my vita), specifically because I knew Spike Chunsoft would deliver. Even the plat is easy, but a bit time consuming. You should command your loyal termites/woodpeckers to support the game too.

Yep , total media blackout on that one. I'm glad I was on that rayman legends livestream to tell you about this game. This game deserves any extra attention it can get. It's actually the only physical vita game that I bought(not counting AC since it came with my vita), specifically because I knew Spike Chunsoft would deliver. Even the plat is easy, but a bit time consuming. You should command your loyal termites/woodpeckers to support the game too.
I'll push it again this week! I'm just cleaning up trophies in school mode now, which is actually quite fun to play through!

just grind the stoic - ap to overdrive - don tonberry trick
That's what I've been doing. I just hate running out of spheres and having to go find more. Oh, and running out of fortune spheres, which forces me to have to fight Earth Eater over and over. To be fair, though, I quit playing for a couple weeks. I generally play my Vita at work more than at home, though I'm on the home stretch now for Yuna's grid. I just have a few luck nodes left to activate.

I finally got the shit for modifying more weapons, so Yuna isn't alone in grinding. Here's my new setup for using the Don Tonberry trick. Note: I know there are better ones, but the payoff for grinding more isn't high enough for me to do it:

Yuna
Wing Wand:
- 4-slotted wand I bought in Calm Lands that starts with Magic + 10%
- Overdrive->AP
- Double AP
- One MP Cost

Arcane Ring:
- 4-slotted ring I bought in Calm Lands that starts with HP + 10%
- Break HP Limit

Tidus
Balmung:
- Sword that dropped with Triple Overdrive (maybe somewhere in Omega Ruins?)
- Overdrive->AP

Haste Shield:
- 4-slotted shield from Calm Lands with HP + 10%
- Auto-Haste

Wakka
Triple Score:
- Blitzball from a random drop that includes Triple AP
- Overdrive->AP

Fast Break:
- 4-slotted armguard from Calm Lands with HP + 10%
- Auto-Haste

Directions
1. Setup Yuna with Comrade overdrive, and put both Tidus and Wakka on Stoic.
2-a. If Yuna doesn't start the battle, have either Tidus or Wakka cast Haste on her.
2-b. If Yuna does start the battle, have her cast Auto-Life on whomever goes next, unless Yuna starts with 2 turns. If Yuna starts with 2 turns, have her cast Haste on herself before casting Auto-Life on her comrades.
3. During Yuna's turns, cast Auto-Life (at 1MP each!) on Tidus and / or Wakka, depending on who goes next.
4. Watch Tidus and Wakka get slaughtered by Don Tonberry's counter-attacks until he gets too close to do so.
5-a. Keep hitting him until he dies.
5-b. Flee.
5-c. Summon Anima or Magus Sisters to finish him off.

I like this setup because I don't run out of spheres too quickly when upgrading. When I run out of spheres, I go capture more stuff for the Monster Arena.

That's what I've been doing. I just hate running out of spheres and having to go find more. Oh, and running out of fortune spheres, which forces me to have to fight Earth Eater over and over. To be fair, though, I quit playing for a couple weeks. I generally play my Vita at work more than at home, though I'm on the home stretch now for Yuna's grid. I just have a few luck nodes left to activate.

running out of spheres? you can easily get Power, Mana and Speed Spheres using distillers (one of the distillers per fight),special creation kottos in the Monster Arena. You get 40 of them per battle with an overkill (occasionally you might get only two if you are unlucky) 20 for an ordinary kill. but unfortnately for fortune sphere that's the only way to farm them

Wow, not sure how I missed this review, which is solid. I really tried to like this game and while it had some good ideas, I felt all the stuff it tried to introduce during the trials were poorly done and even more poorly explained.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enzo0
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"