PS4 Disc versus Digital.

Is it just me, or has the ps4 really made the idea of digital games enticing? I usually hated getting digital on my ps3. Even now it is a hassle, but on ps4 I am thinking about going all digital.
I think that it's just becoming more popular in general. I have found myself buying digital more often now, especially on the Vita.

I'm all for digital if it's free or cheap (looking at you $0.99 PSN Flash Sale!), however, traditionally I will not choose to invest in digital when cost differential is minimal. The value of lending, reselling, and actually HAVING the game are far more important to me than the benefits that digital offers at that price. Again, I'm all for digital if it means that we bring down the prices to offset the fact that I can't loan, sell, and that I am relying on an internet connection and digital storage limitations.

I have always favored disc unless there is a substantial price difference. I'm not against digital (I actually really like the convenience), but I typically resell my games at some point unless they are my absolute favorites or know I will play them for a long time. I use that money to buy new ones. I did buy GTA5 on digital though because of one of the Spend $60 Get $10 and I figured I would keep it anyways. I do enjoy not having to switch discs on that.

No I don't depend on GameFly for my renting services. Sometimes for new games it takes a massive amount of time for those new games to ship to you if youre too late for the grabs. I just drive past my local Family Video and tell them to put a hold on a videogame for me if someone else has rented it already. At least I'll know I get it in the upcoming days after someone else has finished with it.

I have only bought two PS4 games so far. I decided to get a Gamefly subscription for a couple months since there wasn't much that wanted to buy. And so I could play as many of the new games as possible. I've liked being able to rent them all, but not really a fan of Gamefly either.

I used to be anti-digital, until I subscribed to PS Plus and see how convenient it really is (and the awesome sales you can get in on). I've since upgraded my PS3's hard drive to 1 TB. Basically, on PS3 I go with whatever format is cheeper, and I usually buy most of my games on sale.

For my PS4 I am going physical whenever possible to save hard drive space for essentials. Some PS4 games have huge file sizes, but I don't want to upgrade my HD until I can get a 4TB that's compatible (likely not for a couple of years).

I prefer disk over digital, I only buy digital when a game is in sale on psn. I have unlimited Internet here so it isn't a data cap issue I just like having the physical media.

I prefer disk over digital, I only buy digital when a game is in sale on psn. I have unlimited Internet here so it isn't a data cap issue I just like having the physical media.
Definitely agree. But if something is much cheaper, I'll go for that route for sure. But something about having the actual disc with the case, it is much better IMO.

I love game boxes stacked on my shelf. But with TLoU Remastered in really torn between Disk vs Digital because of preorder bonuses.

I probably have 20-30 physical discs, whereas I have closer to 200 digital games, both numbers across all platforms (3, 4, and vita). I don't mind the fact that I can't resale old games since game collectables only really hold value if they're sealed/graded. That, and I refuse to support GameStop in any way, including buying/trading in. I like knowing that my money is going to where it should go, and I do it in hopes that studios will continue to make great games.

Plus, its fun to sort through 100+ PS3 titles, just wondering what I'll get into that evening, debating, considering, and ultimately playing some GTA Online, where some kid will tell me my mom sucks his dick.

I probably have 20-30 physical discs, whereas I have closer to 200 digital games, both numbers across all platforms (3, 4, and vita). I don't mind the fact that I can't resale old games since game collectables only really hold value if they're sealed/graded. That, and I refuse to support GameStop in any way, including buying/trading in. I like knowing that my money is going to where it should go, and I do it in hopes that studios will continue to make great games.

Plus, its fun to sort through 100+ PS3 titles, just wondering what I'll get into that evening, debating, considering, and ultimately playing some GTA Online, where some kid will tell me my mom sucks his dick.

Go search ebay for Earthbound, Brigandine: Legend of Forsena, Misadventures of Tron Bonne, E.V.O. The Search for Eden, and Valkyrie Profile. Collectibles definitely hold up without being new, sealed, or "pro" rated.

I enjoy sifting through my physical library. Though the PS4 kinda takes that away from me by having my owned games right on the interface now.

Go search ebay for Earthbound, Brigandine: Legend of Forsena, Misadventures of Tron Bonne, E.V.O. The Search for Eden, and Valkyrie Profile. Collectibles definitely hold up without being new, sealed, or "pro" rated.

I enjoy sifting through my physical library. Though the PS4 kinda takes that away from me by having my owned games right on the interface now.
those games are rare. We don't really have that problem any more. Apple's and oranges.

I'm a disc man till the day I die, with very few exceptions.

I'll get digital if it's way, way, waaaaaaay cheaper. Half price? Not good enough, better go even lower. Just how I do things. I like having shelves that I can put my games on. I like to look at them, have them around. Remember good times.

...That, or eBay them if they suck. That balances out the costs. That's why if physical ever goes away, the prices had better go way down. I'm just waiting for an excuse to quit gaming. Give me an excuse, industry. Give me an excuse!

I'm a disc man till the day I die, with very few exceptions.

I'll get digital if it's way, way, waaaaaaay cheaper. Half price? Not good enough, better go even lower. Just how I do things. I like having shelves that I can put my games on. I like to look at them, have them around. Remember good times.

...That, or eBay them if they suck. That balances out the costs. That's why if physical ever goes away, the prices had better go way down. I'm just waiting for an excuse to quit gaming. Give me an excuse, industry. Give me an excuse!
The $5.00-$10.00 indie games, the $0.99 cent sales, and the Humble Bundles will make you never be able to leave gaming. Heck just PS Plus could sustain someone for life.

@MakaiOokami
everyone has their preferences
and both have their pro's and con's

I guess it is in the eye of the beholder I suppose
For me now, the PS4 is more attractive for downloads. You've got all the games you've ever downloaded in the library and that sorted alphabeticaly and dlc's right in the menu of the game. For the PS3 it was an absolute mess. There was no way to sort the games from the dlc's and all the downloads were just in a list which wasn't even sorted in any way. Plus, gamesizes don't even differ anymore, so digital gets more interesting. But of course the top reason for choosing the media will be the price.

For me now, the PS4 is more attractive for downloads. You've got all the games you've ever downloaded in the library and that sorted alphabeticaly and dlc's right in the menu of the game. For the PS3 it was an absolute mess. There was no way to sort the games from the dlc's and all the downloads were just in a list which wasn't even sorted in any way. Plus, gamesizes don't even differ anymore, so digital gets more interesting. But of course the top reason for choosing the media will be the price.
It helps to buy the games cheap physically, and then hope you might get them free for plus later on in the life cycle and breathe some new life into some old games.

I've said it before if it's a game I want to play every month, I want it digital.

I always get physical, you never know when a digitally dl game is gonna screw up and you stuck with a fkcd up game or have to redownload it. I prefer physical, i can bring the disc with me anywhere, no long dl times, and on occasion better pre-order benefits.

I always get physical, you never know when a digitally dl game is gonna screw up and you stuck with a fkcd up game or have to redownload it. I prefer physical, i can bring the disc with me anywhere, no long dl times, and on occasion better pre-order benefits.
What about for smaller games like Minecraft and Terraria. Is it worth it to you to spend money on a physical, to have to pop those games in EVERY time you play them, when they are only 1-2GB?

I got the WHOLE PS4 Taletell games bundle for $45 dollars. I wasn't about to spend $30 on JUST Game of Thrones or Wolf Among Us. Especially when I had some of those games on PS3 already.

What about for smaller games like Minecraft and Terraria. Is it worth it to you to spend money on a physical, to have to pop those games in EVERY time you play them, when they are only 1-2GB?

I got the WHOLE PS4 Taletell games bundle for $45 dollars. I wasn't about to spend $30 on JUST Game of Thrones or Wolf Among Us. Especially when I had some of those games on PS3 already.

Anything i have on ps3 i won't buy again for the ps4.
Vita sized games, well i never play on my vita, i don't like minecraft or terraria, and i'm not a big fan of indies. digital just isn't my thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"