Selling PS3 to get PS4: Good Decision or Huge Mistake?

Is trading PS3 to get a PS4 a bad decision?

• Yes, just be patient and wait til you can afford a PS4 outright

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
I bet if I got a Wii U given to me, and all the games for the system, it'd end up collecting dust. I have so many games on the PS4. I'm sure i have like half of them. So many fun, interesting, and brilliant games.

Once your digital deluxe promo expires will you be as excited? It's too late for anyone to care at this point. Expires at the end of the month.

There are plenty of games on Wii U. All people stating otherwise are spouting misinformation and nonsense and living in some grand delusion. There are already a wealth of excellent titles on Wii U and even more to come in the near future.

Lately, my PS4 has been for Netflix and a few titles like Unity, The Crew, and Evil Within. My Wii U has now exceeded the play time that my PS4 once had. Nintendo has also impressed me far more than Sony or Microsoft has. Especially since this year's E3. That Nintendo Direct was absolutely amazing.

Your personal preference against Wii U fails to mean the console is bad or failing.

There are plenty of games on Wii U. All people stating otherwise are spouting misinformation and nonsense and living in some grand delusion. There are already a wealth of excellent titles on Wii U and even more to come in the near future.

Lately, my PS4 has been for Netflix and a few titles like Unity, The Crew, and Evil Within. My Wii U has now exceeded the play time that my PS4 once had. Nintendo has also impressed me far more than Sony or Microsoft has. Especially since this year's E3. That Nintendo Direct was absolutely amazing.

Your personal preference against Wii U fails to mean the console is bad or failing.

So what are the amazing games that I'm missing out on, other than Bayonetta, and any game involving any character from Super Smash Brothers unless they are just a cameo, and not a pivotal character? I see a squid game tactical RPG that's also on the 3DS, party games I'd never get to play, workout games I'd never play because I live upstairs and would probably break the board, anything they did special on the Wii U with the gamepad can also be done with a Vita and PS3/4, as demonstrated by Guacamelee and LBP Cross Controller.

My preference against Nintendo is that I can't find many things that aren't coming over to the PS4/3 or Vita, that's worth spending $300 dollars, on a system that doesn't have voice chat on most games, and doesn't have system based voice chat, or MP3 playback during games.

Meanwhile PS Plus gives me more games on the PS4 that I would have bought, than the Wii U even has games I would even want.

Again without listing a game with a character from Smash Brothers, what should i be excited about. If they had an awesome pokemon companion game for the Wii U, I'd consider getting it tax refund season, and a couple of games, but I don't understand how you don't have a PS4 backlog.

I've been a fan of Nintendo, to some extent. Liked Snes more than Genesis games, but after that it's been downhill for me. I skipped the N64 Generation, I didn't get much for the Gamecube. Had like 20 games, or so. Bought a Wii, got maybe 40 games including downloads, but it just collects dust, and games like Kirby's Epic Yarn I forget to play, and then have to find batteries that work and are charged, my Nyko ones are done for dead, don't even know where my infrared bars are anymore... I grab games like Muramasa on the Wii, forget to play it, then grab it on the Vita on sale, don't get around to playing it, then it goes free on PS Plus, well so much for buying that, and don't get around to play it until I force myself to. Wanted to play it, bought it twice, just never got around to it.

I don't want to spend $300 dollars on a 32GB console that will probably collect the dust where my Wii is at.

So what are the amazing games that I'm missing out on, other than Bayonetta, and any game involving any character from Super Smash Brothers unless they are just a cameo, and not a pivotal character? I see a squid game tactical RPG that's also on the 3DS, party games I'd never get to play, workout games I'd never play because I live upstairs and would probably break the board, anything they did special on the Wii U with the gamepad can also be done with a Vita and PS3/4, as demonstrated by Guacamelee and LBP Cross Controller.

My preference against Nintendo is that I can't find many things that aren't coming over to the PS4/3 or Vita, that's worth spending $300 dollars, on a system that doesn't have voice chat on most games, and doesn't have system based voice chat, or MP3 playback during games.

Meanwhile PS Plus gives me more games on the PS4 that I would have bought, than the Wii U even has games I would even want.

Again without listing a game with a character from Smash Brothers, what should i be excited about. If they had an awesome pokemon companion game for the Wii U, I'd consider getting it tax refund season, and a couple of games, but I don't understand how you don't have a PS4 backlog.

I've been a fan of Nintendo, to some extent. Liked Snes more than Genesis games, but after that it's been downhill for me. I skipped the N64 Generation, I didn't get much for the Gamecube. Had like 20 games, or so. Bought a Wii, got maybe 40 games including downloads, but it just collects dust, and games like Kirby's Epic Yarn I forget to play, and then have to find batteries that work and are charged, my Nyko ones are done for dead, don't even know where my infrared bars are anymore... I grab games like Muramasa on the Wii, forget to play it, then grab it on the Vita on sale, don't get around to playing it, then it goes free on PS Plus, well so much for buying that, and don't get around to play it until I force myself to. Wanted to play it, bought it twice, just never got around to it.

I don't want to spend $300 dollars on a 32GB console that will probably collect the dust where my Wii is at.

So the same reasons I don't care for the Vita?

It's astounding that you have so much time to play every game ever made. You can't ask me to list games after naming off multiple franchises to exclude. It doesn't work that way. As such, I can not respect your request and I deny it.

I don't have a PS4 backlog because not every game ever made interests me. You and I do NOT have the same tastes. That's something you have unfailingly refused to grasp. I am not you, Makai. Nor would I ever wish to be.

Secondly, it's just the same old song and dance with PS4 and Xbox One. There really aren't any new experiences. We get the same games year after year, they merely have different titles. Nintendo's quirky adventures at least are a refreshing break from the droll repetition of "serious" games (a term that is ludicrous to begin with. No games are serious. They are games.) that are endlessly repeated.

There are few masterworks that make an exception however. And those, I will indulge in.

You're missing out on great games because you have a predisposition against a company. A predisposition that is incorrect.

There is one, simple truth you need to understand. We aren't the same, you and I. We are separate entities with separate personal preferences. No amount of running in circles and droning on about repeated "points" will ever convince me that your route and preferences are superior to my own. And likewise, I don't expect you to change your preferences.

Your downright abjuration of Nintendo deeply perturbs me. It has blinded you to see anything worthwhile, even when such titles exist. And I take great pity in seeing you willfully do this. Unless provoked from some great offense, I would never limit myself in such a manner. Especially when you boastfully display you can afford to embark on these adventure, then counter with a price mark as a reason for exclusion.

In essence, your way is not mine. I would never choose to walk such a path. So stop insisting I should and cease your fervent crusade to alter my route.

My preferences are mine. Yours are yours. Leave it at that.

Yes, I repeated my point multiple times. Because you never seem to want to accept it.

So the same reasons I don't care for the Vita?

It's astounding that you have so much time to play every game ever made. You can't ask me to list games after naming off multiple franchises to exclude. It doesn't work that way. As such, I can not respect your request and I deny it.

I don't have a PS4 backlog because not every game ever made interests me. You and I do NOT have the same tastes. That's something you have unfailingly refused to grasp. I am not you, Makai. Nor would I ever wish to be.

Secondly, it's just the same old song and dance with PS4 and Xbox One. There really aren't any new experiences. We get the same games year after year, they merely have different titles. Nintendo's quirky adventures at least are a refreshing break from the droll repetition of "serious" games (a term that is ludicrous to begin with. No games are serious. They are games.) that are endlessly repeated.

There are few masterworks that make an exception however. And those, I will indulge in.

You're missing out on great games because you have a predisposition against a company. A predisposition that is incorrect.

There is one, simple truth you need to understand. We aren't the same, you and I. We are separate entities with separate personal preferences. No amount of running in circles and droning on about repeated "points" will ever convince me that your route and preferences are superior to my own. And likewise, I don't expect you to change your preferences.

Your downright abjuration of Nintendo deeply perturbs me. It has blinded you to see anything worthwhile, even when such titles exist. And I take great pity in seeing you willfully do this. Unless provoked from some great offense, I would never limit myself in such a manner. Especially when you boastfully display you can afford to embark on these adventure, then counter with a price mark as a reason for exclusion.

In essence, your way is not mine. I would never choose to walk such a path. So stop insisting I should and cease your fervent crusade to alter my route.

My preferences are mine. Yours are yours. Leave it at that.

Yes, I repeated my point multiple times. Because you never seem to want to accept it.

I was merely asking for you to mention games worth buying a Wii U for without mentioning the same characters people have been recommending Nintendo consoles for for the past 3 decades. That's not a crazy request to have you exclude Mario games, because everyone knows who Mario is. I'm asking for advice on games that I wouldn't know about because I don't have a Wii U, and games that aren't coming to other consoles.

Nintendo hasn't given me a lot of confidence since they sold more Wiis than any other console and they've already shut off online gaming for it and the online features on the Wii U are sorely lacking.

For $100 dollars or so I can get Farcry 4, Rocksmith 2014 PS4, and Dragon Age Inquisition. So $33 dollars a game. Was using coupons during Black Friday sales to grab $100 dollars worth of games that were normally 3x that much, and saving $30 dollars off of that. So $200-300 dollars worth of games for $70 dollars.

I did $100 dollars worth of PSN credit getting $15 dollars back, so 15 percent savings, and a friend even bought 30 dollars on my account for me for an early Christmas Present. If I put $60 dollars on my PSN via Paypal I get $10 credit. So 16% off basically. Then I can buy games like Giana Sisters for $7 dollars half price on sale, and some other game on Vita for $5-10 dollars...

That's how I get a large amount of games. I buy them cheap. I got Skyrim release day 10 percent off, 5 dollars off for pre-ordering, and a $10 Target card for buying the game. Ended up getting 21 dollars off the game day 1.

So I can afford a bit here and a bit there to get games, I can afford not to get a couple games for a couple of months, and then grab them when they go on sale months later and holiday sales. So instead of getting a Wii U, I get like 20 games. I used to get 15 percent off of PSN credit. Then $100 spent $15 back, and then bought games 50% off. Game collections add up quickly at those prices.

So yeah it's hard to save up $300-400 dollars to just drop on the Wii U, a game and a hard drive for when the 32GB fills up.

My point is I can only list my preferences. And you don't agree with my preferences. So much so that you almost force your own upon me. It is tiring. And I'm tired of running in circles in our conversations. Would you like me to list all the games I have and would like if I were capable of getting them then? Even if just to try out based on videos and information in the store?

My point is I can only list my preferences. And you don't agree with my preferences. So much so that you almost force your own upon me. It is tiring. And I'm tired of running in circles in our conversations. Would you like me to list all the games I have and would like if I were capable of getting them then? Even if just to try out based on videos and information in the store?
The whole point of all of this, was that your comments that you played everything you wanted to (didn't have a backlog), that all the games focused too heavily on graphics and not enough on gameplay (despite so many indie games), and your trophy list gave me an impression that you only hit mostly big name titles, and that there are tons of smaller games worth revisiting.

My intent was to spur a back and fourth of awesome games, and have fun, and share experiences on different titles and genres. You went the exact opposite direction though which was

I'm offended. Who do you think you are. You're not me, we have nothing to talk about, etc... This whole time I've been wanting to talk about games, and games that excite you, and give advice. Yet this whole time you've been focused on the fact that PS3 and Vita are dead and buried to you. That's your choice. Mean while I'm buried under countless games I get for cheap, and wanting to talk about games.

The whole point of all of this, was that your comments that you played everything you wanted to (didn't have a backlog), that all the games focused too heavily on graphics and not enough on gameplay (despite so many indie games), and your trophy list gave me an impression that you only hit mostly big name titles, and that there are tons of smaller games worth revisiting.

My intent was to spur a back and fourth of awesome games, and have fun, and share experiences on different titles and genres. You went the exact opposite direction though which was

I'm offended. Who do you think you are. You're not me, we have nothing to talk about, etc... This whole time I've been wanting to talk about games, and games that excite you, and give advice. Yet this whole time you've been focused on the fact that PS3 and Vita are dead and buried to you. That's your choice. Mean while I'm buried under countless games I get for cheap, and wanting to talk about games.

Why are we hopping consoles here? First we talk about the PS3. Then you bring us to my Wii U, then you are bringing us back to PS3? We can't discuss anything cohesively if we don't settle on a topic. Your using my trophy list as indicative of anything is a major flaw on your reasoning. I try out quite a lot of titles. And there are just as many instances where I'll play games other people have on their consoles. Despite popular belief, trophies mean jack squat when it comes to discerning what a gamer likes.

You aren't trying to talk about games. You're trying to push your opinion that there are games I have to play and would love, down my throat. Just because you have an endless backlog of games you got on the cheap doesn't mean I should. Quit enroaching on my space, man. Perhaps your structuring of this "advice" was malformed? And I don't need advice. I have a backlog of games across multiple consoles already, old and new. I'm good. I don't get why you are so up-in-the-air about my sense of totality and resolution with the PlayStation 3. It is a good console. It has great games. But I'm done with it. And that's alright. Come to terms with it man and let's move on.

Why are we hopping consoles here? First we talk about the PS3. Then you bring us to my Wii U, then you are bringing us back to PS3? We can't discuss anything cohesively if we don't settle on a topic. Your using my trophy list as indicative of anything is a major flaw on your reasoning. I try out quite a lot of titles. And there are just as many instances where I'll play games other people have on their consoles. Despite popular belief, trophies mean jack squat when it comes to discerning what a gamer likes.

You aren't trying to talk about games. You're trying to push your opinion that there are games I have to play and would love, down my throat. Just because you have an endless backlog of games you got on the cheap doesn't mean I should. Quit enroaching on my space, man. Perhaps your structuring of this "advice" was malformed? And I don't need advice. I have a backlog of games across multiple consoles already, old and new. I'm good. I don't get why you are so up-in-the-air about my sense of totality and resolution with the PlayStation 3. It is a good console. It has great games. But I'm done with it. And that's alright. Come to terms with it man and let's move on.
I went back and reread some of the major comments that I think shaped this argument.

The first one was me not understanding your criticism that all the games were too focused on graphics this generation, because the PS3 started the Indie Revolution and so many games are a criticized for gameplay over graphics, it just feels weird to have someone criticizing the PS3 for too many games focusing on graphics over gameplay.

The second comment I did that I view was major was where I brought up Borderlands, and Dead Island, and 3D Dot Game Heroes hoping to find out what you like and didn't like in games and trying to explain myself and not have you so upset with what I was saying.

Also you were the first person to bring up the Wii U.

I'm not trying to drag you down. I wanted to talk about all the great amazing PS3 games. That's the major reason I've been going to this thread is I was hoping it would evolve into "OMG this game is so great" or "Hey lets do some Fat Princess" or "Oh let's play Borderlands the Pre-sequel online" or "Oh you know what's just like this game? _____ is, check out the review"

I went back and reread some of the major comments that I think shaped this argument.

The first one was me not understanding your criticism that all the games were too focused on graphics this generation, because the PS3 started the Indie Revolution and so many games are a criticized for gameplay over graphics, it just feels weird to have someone criticizing the PS3 for too many games focusing on graphics over gameplay.

The second comment I did that I view was major was where I brought up Borderlands, and Dead Island, and 3D Dot Game Heroes hoping to find out what you like and didn't like in games and trying to explain myself and not have you so upset with what I was saying.

Also you were the first person to bring up the Wii U.

I'm not trying to drag you down. I wanted to talk about all the great amazing PS3 games. That's the major reason I've been going to this thread is I was hoping it would evolve into "OMG this game is so great" or "Hey lets do some Fat Princess" or "Oh let's play Borderlands the Pre-sequel online" or "Oh you know what's just like this game? _____ is, check out the review"

I mentioned it, I didn't focus the conversation on it.

I'd love to talk about the games. But I have no means of playing any games you might suggest. I just wanted to state I was happy with the PS3 and didn't regret trading it. My opinion on the software is my own. If I could have afforded the funds and time to play every game, I would have. Instead, I chose to spend wisely and follow the progression of the industry as a whole with the new consoles. This meant I traded in my Vita and PS3 in a gamble hoping the immediate future was promising. I can't say I've been disappointed. However, I have been disheartened. And most of the reason why are these "awesome" third party releases. Thus my mention of Nintendo and their excellent first party lineups as my present preference.

I'll definitely discuss any games that are cross-generation. But those are growing fewer. And so, I'll leave the conversation. And if I see anything I can discuss on, I'll do so.

I mentioned it, I didn't focus the conversation on it.

I'd love to talk about the games. But I have no means of playing any games you might suggest. I just wanted to state I was happy with the PS3 and didn't regret trading it. My opinion on the software is my own. If I could have afforded the funds and time to play every game, I would have. Instead, I chose to spend wisely and follow the progression of the industry as a whole with the new consoles. This meant I traded in my Vita and PS3 in a gamble hoping the immediate future was promising. I can't say I've been disappointed. However, I have been disheartened. And most of the reason why are these "awesome" third party releases. Thus my mention of Nintendo and their excellent first party lineups as my present preference.

I'll definitely discuss any games that are cross-generation. But those are growing fewer. And so, I'll leave the conversation. And if I see anything I can discuss on, I'll do so.
So you're not enjoying Secret Ponchos or Elysian Tale, or Giana Twins Twisted Dreams?

So you're not enjoying Secret Ponchos or Elysian Tale, or Giana Twins Twisted Dreams?

Didn't enjoy Secret Ponchos at all. Didn't see much of a skill factor in the game. And I don't like the isometric angle. I've been burned on games that use it for awhile. I have enjoyed Elysian Tale quite a bit. I need to get on there and finish it for the story. Haven't tasted Giana Twins Twisted Dreams just yet. I did buy Minecraft PS4 Edition for the kids the other day. I bring this up because I recall our conversation about it on the PSN a week or two ago. Big difference from when I played it ages ago. I'm actually enjoying it a great deal on survival mode.

Didn't enjoy Secret Ponchos at all. Didn't see much of a skill factor in the game. And I don't like the isometric angle. I've been burned on games that use it for awhile. I have enjoyed Elysian Tale quite a bit. I need to get on there and finish it for the story. Haven't tasted Giana Twins Twisted Dreams just yet. I did buy Minecraft PS4 Edition for the kids the other day. I bring this up because I recall our conversation about it on the PSN a week or two ago. Big difference from when I played it ages ago. I'm actually enjoying it a great deal on survival mode.
Glad you're enjoying it. Have you played around with any of the texture packs? Any favorites? I tend to use the Natural one or sometimes the castle one. I need to platinum it on PS4 and Vita. I got the platinum on the PS3 version in like a week and a half.

The view for Secret Ponchos is supposed to be, because the game is designed like a fighting game and that view gives you the best angle to know the range of your attacks, and then it's just learning the intricacies.

If you are going to get a ps4, definitely buy it outright as opposed to trading your PS3 for it. If you're like most of us, you'll always go back to your PS3 because there is still a plethora of games you have yet played.

Glad you're enjoying it. Have you played around with any of the texture packs? Any favorites? I tend to use the Natural one or sometimes the castle one. I need to platinum it on PS4 and Vita. I got the platinum on the PS3 version in like a week and a half.

The view for Secret Ponchos is supposed to be, because the game is designed like a fighting game and that view gives you the best angle to know the range of your attacks, and then it's just learning the intricacies.

I imagine the view is intended, or it wouldn't be there. I just don't enjoy the isometric perspective. Maybe the fatigue will wear off soon.

I bought candy, natural, and fantasy. Candy is quirky enough to enjoy though I mainly purchased it for my girls. I like how natural blends the textures better and gives us a bit more realistic style to the animals and items. I haven't gotten the chance to dabble with fantasy yet. So far I'd say natural is my preferred texture pack.
If you are going to get a ps4, definitely buy it outright as opposed to trading your PS3 for it. If you're like most of us, you'll always go back to your PS3 because there is still a plethora of games you have yet played.

Save for those who don't have the time to go buy every PS3 game out there. We have to be a bit more choice with our experiences.

Now most of my arguments are Now undermined.

With Playstation Now subscription service, you can get a lot of gaming in for very cheap. It's not the WHOLE library, but it's better than anything you can do on Gamefly or Redbox or anything else. For the price of 1-2 indie games a month you can play hundreds of games a month. You can get the 3 month subscription, and play a new game every day for the entire 3 month subscription and not run out of games and it's a tad bit more than the most expensive Vita games for that 3 month sub.

Keep the ps3 and just flat out by a ps4 bundle, ps4, or just wait for some special on the price. Or just shop around.

Around Christmas time PS4s were 15% off on Cartwheel. A week or 2 ago Skylanders was 40% off. The Moga controllers were 35% off once I think. Keep an eye on Cartwheel deals. You never know what will happen.

I'm wondering if they sold 5 million PS4s for Christmas because at our store it FEELS like we sold a pallet full of PS4s. There were like 10-20 bundles on an endcap and I don't think we had any around Christmas time. It's hard to imagine people would't drive to the nearest Target to get a PS4 15% off or for a friend or something. That's basically taking it from $440 ish with tax down to $380 ish with tax.

Now most of my arguments are Now undermined.

With Playstation Now subscription service, you can get a lot of gaming in for very cheap. It's not the WHOLE library, but it's better than anything you can do on Gamefly or Redbox or anything else. For the price of 1-2 indie games a month you can play hundreds of games a month. You can get the 3 month subscription, and play a new game every day for the entire 3 month subscription and not run out of games and it's a tad bit more than the most expensive Vita games for that 3 month sub.

The sub price makes any doubt I had in the past irrelevant to me now. In time, I could just easily stream any experience I felt I missed out on. As Sony has said themselves, the subscription games library will only grow. I look forward to what they may add.

I would say it is different for everyone. I've had my PS4 just over a year now and I kept by PS3. I wanted to be able to go back and play those games still, especially as the PS4 library was lacking early on. Truth be told, I can count on one hand how many times I've played my PS3 in the year of having my PS4. That said, I'm still glad I have it and have no plans of ever getting rid of it.

Note: didn't read most of the back and forth throughout the thread.

I would say it is different for everyone. I've had my PS4 just over a year now and I kept by PS3. I wanted to be able to go back and play those games still, especially as the PS4 library was lacking early on. Truth be told, I can count on one hand how many times I've played my PS3 in the year of having my PS4. That said, I'm still glad I have it and have no plans of ever getting rid of it.

Note: didn't read most of the back and forth throughout the thread.
most of the back and fourth was miscommunication in the first place.

Then a good segment of it is obsolete now with Now.

So you didn't miss anything.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enzo0
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"