To AAA, or not to AAA, that is Vita's question.

idillicah

PSLS Level: Bronze
A "huge" (by Vita standards), scandal was given birth to by the beloved Sony at Gamescom due to the fact that the Vita was... "relegated" during the main press event.

A lot of people were angry that the Vita was pretty much ignored.

To which Shahid Kamal Ahmad, one of PS most outspoken Vita supporters, responded on Twitter that a lot of games are coming to Vita. He then proceeded to cite quite a few games. However, most of which (if not all), are small indie titles.

Which again generated the mother of all backlashes. Mostly because a lot of people are complaining that the Vita is spoilt for choice when it comes to JRPGs and indies, but really, REALLY lacks AAA titles (both first and third party).

Now, my question is: do YOU guys miss AAA titles?

To be quite honest? I personally do.

I'm a huge JRPG and indie fan. I actually buy and play more on my Vita than my 3DS (Pokemon aside). But I am hunkering for another experience like Gravity Rush and Uncharted.

Sony has such a great IP pool from which to draw, and the PSP saw a lot of great titles (I'm looking at you, GTA), that would, if a game for the Vita was made, quench the thirst for AAA games.

So? What of it? Content? Or do YOU (market aside), as a gamer, would like to see AAA titles come to Vita?

(And for the purpose of this exercise, I'm leaving out Japanese-like titles, such as Freedom Wars, because they appeal to the same crowd as most JRPGs).

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I'm not a huge RPG guy and several of the indies are so cookie-cutter (rhythmic slashers, puzzles, shapes, blah). I'd prefer to see some AAA's rolling out, but a lot of them have been total garbage on the Vita.

The AAA's that have been heavily marketed- COD for example- have been a heaping pile. Killzone was solid, but short. I've loved every version of The Show that has come out so far, LBP is a great franchise to show off the Vita (along with Tearaway, which is waaaaay underloved), Assassin's Creed Liberation showed off a lot of what the Vita can do, and Uncharted was a lot of fun.

The indies are starting to think outside the box, which is great. Hotline Miami 2 is one I'm looking forward to, Fez is great, I loved that Vikings melee game that came out a couple years ago, and Hyper Light Drifter has me excited. I just wish we had a solid mix of different types of indies and non-ported AAAs. The AAAs really show off the power and functionality of the Vita, which is something most indies just can't do. The Vita is a system that can do so much more than a PS4 or PS3, and there needs to be a stable of games out there that show this.

The Vita is in a really odd place right now. Here's how I see it:

If we began to get more stellar, AAA release on the Vita, people would be happy, but then people would also complain about them not being on consoles and about wanting to play these more epic and grandiose games on a console. After that, we would then see devs porting them over to consoles anyway, as we have seen trending so far. Just about the only AAA exclusives Vita has left are Gravity Rush and Golden Abyss. Even Tearaway, a game I never thought could even be done off of the Vita, is being reworked and brought to the PS4.

On the other hand, if Vita continues to be an indie and cross-buy vehicle, people will complain there too. Unfortunately the Vita is too powerful for its own good. To have the power of a home console, but need the ability to provide on-the-go gaming kinda sucks. Some games provide that soooo well, (like Rogue Legacy, The Swapper, etc.), but due to these games being even good enough for consoles, they are on all current PlayStation platforms, because why limit yourself (unlike Squeenix, who loves to limit themselves cough *Tomb Raider* cough)?

For the time being, my Vita is an extension of the rest of my PlayStation experience, with the bonus being some great exclusives like Danganronpa (and Danganronpa 2), even though they may not be AAA. I'm very happy with my Vita, and I'm not one to forecast doom and gloom for it, but it's definitely only a piece of the full PlayStation ecosystem for me.

Personally, no I don't really miss AAA games on the Vita. Gravity Rush is the sole AAA I've played, and I still have to finish it. Otherwise I've pretty much been playing games that are either in the JRPG camp, like Disgaea 3,which are a bit of a wild card in this debate or indies, like Hotline Miami and Smart As... (if that's indie?). Granted I would probably want more AAA experiences if I traveled a lot and was unable to play on the PS3 or PS4 as often. Since that's not the case I don't really miss the AAA games on the Vita. I'm sure I would enjoy them if they came and whenever I got to them, but I can't say I actively miss them.

I bought a Vita mostly to play the games I was getting stacked up from PS+ as well as any RPGs that came the way of the Vita. That it is receiving indie games as well is an extra perk in my mind. I guess I didn't really buy the Vita with AAA in mind so it's hard to miss what you weren't looking for in the first place.

Personally i would like a good AAA ps vita exclusive game, not a port. Then again this is also the dummy who claimed that studies showed people wanted more indies on the vita.

I'm gonna put this here. It's a list of most of the AAA or near AAA titles/franchises that have appeared on the Vita:

2012:
Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3
Rayman Origins
WipeOut 2048
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
FIFA Soccer
Dynasty Warriors Next
MLB 12 the Show
Unit 13
Mortal Kombat (2011)
Resistance: Burning Skies
Gravity Rush
Madden NFL 13
Metal Gear Solid Collection
Street Fighter X Tekken
Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation
Need For Speed: Most Wanted
Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
Persona 4 Golden
Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed

2013:
Soul Sacrifice
MLB 13 the Show
Rayman Legends
Killzone Mercenary
FIFA 14
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
Tearaway
Ys: Memories of Celceta
The Amazing Spider-Man

2014:
Toukiden
Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster
MLB 14 the Show
Borderlands 2
Soul Sacrifice Delta
FIFA 15
Freedom Wars
Oreshika
Tales of Hearts R

Thanks for that excellent list, @Borshay!

I didn't know about Oreshika! It looks really good. But again, setting aside bad games (I'm looking at you CoD) and RPGs (P4G, I love thee), the list becomes rather short.

That said, I'm happy I'm not the only one missing AAA titles. I really, really enjoyed Uncharted, for example.

I think a couple of you have touched on a very important issue, and one Sony is relying heavily upon: Most Vita users own a PS3 or PS4, and therefore don't rely on Vita for AAA titles.

Sadly, that attitude by Sony is, in my opinion, one of the reasons it was hard to move Vitas (although I hear it's doing better now).

I would buy the hell out of AAA titles, to be honest, if they were released. But looking at @Borshay's amazing list of upcoming games: http://forums.playstationlifestyle.net/threads/the-ultimate-list-of-vita-games.1857/

There is a definite lack of AA or AAA titles that are not JRPGs!

FIFA 15, Oddworld, Disney Infitiy and that is it! Everything else is indie or JRPG! From here to 2015, out of everything that's been announced!

That's a bit sad.

Disney Infinity is the biggest of the 'AAA' games coming out. And its a late port to boot.

I'm gonna bold the titles I've bought from that list
Rayman Origins

WipeOut 2048
FIFA Soccer
Dynasty Warriors Next
MLB 12 the Show
Unit 13
Mortal Kombat (2011)
Gravity Rush
Madden NFL 13

Metal Gear Solid Collection
Street Fighter X Tekken
Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation
Need For Speed: Most Wanted

Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
Persona 4 Golden

Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed
Soul Sacrifice
MLB 13 the Show
Rayman Legends
Killzone Mercenary

FIFA 14
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
Tearaway
Ys: Memories of Celceta

The Amazing Spider-Man
Toukiden
Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster
MLB 14 the Show
Borderlands 2
Soul Sacrifice Delta

And I'll be picking up SS Delta before the sale is over. I passed initially due to it being digital only. I've bought a lot of the 'AAA' titles they've released and I'd like to see more. I'd love to finally get a Dissidia 3, InFamous, God of War, Uncharted, Gravity Rush 2, or Burnout, Star Wars Battlefront.

Sadly, Shuhei has said that TGS will be another PS4 focus show, so even those slim 'AAA' titles we've been getting from Japan Studios are about to dry up.

That's not only a great list, It's a list that's very similar to mine, haha.

Your "wanted" list is very awesome, and I agree. I'd love to see Fallout and CoD WWII, but I'm DREAMING! (Also, that Bioshock iOS port is giving me nightmares).

I'm not picking up Delta as I already played the original SS and the new content is... not enough.

All of this said... I'm kinda hoping that Minecraft will move some Vitas. Maybe even a Slim bundle?

Also, I wouldn't mind more AAA ports from PS2 or PS3, as I never owned those systems nor do I plan to.

I'm gonna put this here. It's a list of most of the AAA or near AAA titles/franchises that have appeared on the Vita:

2012:
Rayman Origins
WipeOut 2048
FIFA Soccer
Dynasty Warriors Next
MLB 12 the Show
Unit 13
Mortal Kombat (2011)
Gravity Rush