Who is the best CPU goddess?

• Blanc/White Heart

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vert/Green Heart

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ahchurro11

PSLS Level: Bronze
Hyperdimension Neptunia is a franchise that is, at its core, a huge parody of the gaming industry in its entirety, and this is a remake of the original PS3 title. Re;Birth1 takes the gameplay from Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory, the story of the original, and adds a new remake system for that, well, remake feel.
the game is also complete with a rewritten story, redone voice acting, and updated visuals.

First up is the story, which in all honestly, is rather predicable and common for an RPG. It starts with the 4
goddesses fighting in Celestia as they have been before. White Heart, Green Heart, and Black Heart all have the idea of taking out the strongest of the 4, Purple Heart. They do so and send Purple Heart, who is now reverted back to her normal form Neptune, down to Gameindustri. She is found by Compa, a kind nurse-in-training and personification of the developer Compile Heart, and is shown to have developed amnesia. She is also told by Histoire, a tome of Gameindustri who records all that happens, that in order to recover her memories, she must find the 4 key fragments and release Histoire. From here, the two girls travel across Gameindustri in search of the fragments, running into other characters such as the other goddesses in their normal forms and other personified characters. And that pretty much sums up the story for the mot part. As said before, rather common and predicable.

2014-11-16-223615.jpg
2014-11-16-223636.jpg
The writing in this is so funny.

The place where the game really shines, however, is the characters. You have the main character Neptune, who is even aware of that and breaks the 4th wall frequently. You also have Neptune's CPU goddess form, Purple Heart, who is almost an exact opposite to Neptune's character. Then you have your two party members: Compa and IF (nicknamed Iffy by Neptune), whose personalities work so well with everyone. There's the tsundere Noire, the gamer otaku Vert, and the calm-yet-hot-headed Blanc. The way these characters interact with each other, both when they're fighting against each other or working together, not to mention the numerous numerous gaming related references, is what makes the game so memorable.

The gameplay is a standard open-field turn-based RPG, similar to how HDN Victory handled it. You take turns either attacking, using items, using special moves, etc. What makes this game unique, however, is the combo system. you attack up to 4 times with either combo-raising rush attacks, high-hitter power attacks, or shield-breaking break attacks. Using the number of Combo Points you have, you set up what moves are available and when. Later on you can also gain a 5th EXE finisher attack, for more damage. Everything else, such as stats and equipment, is pretty standard.

2014-11-15-185127.jpg
So. Many. Options!

2014-12-16-021754.jpg
There can be a lot of strategy to this setup.

2015-01-19-085447.jpg
Costumes are fun.
The major change to this game is the remake system. You find plans in various ways, from talking to the NPCs on them to finding them in dungeons. With those plans and the needed materials for them, you can literally alter the way the game is: from adding or changing a dungeon to adding new gameplay elements like seeing hidden treasure. It is literally game-changing.

2014-12-27-181205.jpg
The remake system: a literal game-changer

As much as I love the game though, there are some major problems with it. First and majorly, there is a lot of grinding to do and for various reasons. Now that is expected of an RPG, but this game seems to demand it much more than others that I've played. You have to grind for exp due to some boss being over leveled, you must grind for materials for a plan, you must grind for money to afford stuff in the store, etc. it's so bad that there are times where you must grind for one loan just to be able to grind for another plan. Second off, the writing and jokes can be rather inappropriate or even offensive to some. 'the girls will make jokes regarding breast size or how sexy they are, which I know can turn some players off. it didn't bother me, but I know it will determine whether someone likes it or not. Lastly, and this is for fans, how much they reuse from past games. The game does look and sound beautiful, but almost all of its assets, from music to graphics, all come from HDN Victory. Even dungeon layouts are alterations from Victory, which can potentially scream lazy to some. I don't have an issue with it seeing as it is a remake and not a new title, but some elements from the original game would have been nice.

2014-11-08-185846.jpg
Did I mention the game's fanservicey scenes?

Overall, Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 is an RPG that does what it wants to well and has fun doing so. It's writing is clever, it's gameplay is simple yet strategic, and its presentation, though rehashed, is beautiful (even more so on the original OLED Vita). The few problems that it does have are purely subjective and all depend on the player, with the only exception being the grind walls. Overall, a really fun game that everyone should at least look at.

8.5 Neps out of 10

2015-01-09-002642.jpg
I'll get to it eventually, Nepgear. Don't worry.

If anyone wants me to cover the DLC, feel free to ask.
also, how'd I do? i like feedback to improve.

Hmm. Definitely a pretty great review. I noticed you were pretty concerned about personal bias earlier, but reading through this, it really seems you managed to work through it and provide content that is more honest and concise.

If I were to toss out some personal recommendations, I really would feel the need to delve much deeper into the "rewritten story" instead of the single sentence mention that it got.

From personal experience, one of the main reasons I loved this game so much (and why I didn't end up liking Re;birth 2 quite as much) is because of how much different this game felt from the original HdN 1 title on the PS3. All of the main elements of the PS3 title were still present (CPU war, Neptune getting knocked down to the world below and getting amnesia, searching for the Key Fragments, etc), however, the rewritten story creates a much more refreshing and new experience. There were still some points where I was actually curious about how the story would progress.

They took such a pivotal moment of the original game (The big "CPU of Planeptune" reveal, and tossed that into the game at a MUCH earlier point, done ENTIRELY differently!) This, in turn, made me wonder how the flow of the game going forward would change. Re;birth 2, however, didn't quite have the same feel and was more or less the same exact story.

Of course, I suppose at the end of the day, the rewritten story had different impacts on the player based upon the individual person. But still, I definitely feel like true appreciation for this game comes from already having experienced the original PS3 title.

Everything else though, seemed very solid and accurate. It's probably just me being picky about it since I was one of the players that was more impacted by the rewritten story. It kinda' felt like I was playing a new game, yet the main elements that were maintained still provided just the right amount of nostalgic feel to the original HdN 1 title. (To the point where it even opted towards keeping a 3-person party).

Hmm. Definitely a pretty great review. I noticed you were pretty concerned about personal bias earlier, but reading through this, it really seems you managed to work through it and provide content that is more honest and concise.

If I were to toss out some personal recommendations, I really would feel the need to delve much deeper into the "rewritten story" instead of the single sentence mention that it got.

From personal experience, one of the main reasons I loved this game so much (and why I didn't end up liking Re;birth 2 quite as much) is because of how much different this game felt from the original HdN 1 title on the PS3. All of the main elements of the PS3 title were still present (CPU war, Neptune getting knocked down to the world below and getting amnesia, searching for the Key Fragments, etc), however, the rewritten story creates a much more refreshing and new experience. There were still some points where I was actually curious about how the story would progress.

They took such a pivotal moment of the original game (The big "CPU of Planeptune" reveal, and tossed that into the game at a MUCH earlier point, done ENTIRELY differently!) This, in turn, made me wonder how the flow of the game going forward would change. Re;birth 2, however, didn't quite have the same feel and was more or less the same exact story.

Of course, I suppose at the end of the day, the rewritten story had different impacts on the player based upon the individual person. But still, I definitely feel like true appreciation for this game comes from already having experienced the original PS3 title.

Everything else though, seemed very solid and accurate. It's probably just me being picky about it since I was one of the players that was more impacted by the rewritten story. It kinda' felt like I was playing a new game, yet the main elements that were maintained still provided just the right amount of nostalgic feel to the original HdN 1 title. (To the point where it even opted towards keeping a 3-person party).

The reason I didn't cover much of the rewritten story is cause i never actually went far in the original to see how it was. Plan to, but not now. Ill add an edit then covering those changes. With that in mind, it shows that rebirth1, as its own thing, can hold itself pretty well without needing prior history of the franchise IMO. It seems to chsnge enough for fans to enjoy it while at the same time keeping the major points as you said intact fo newbies to enter and understand.

ahchurro11, are you part of the PR team for this game? You really made it scream "play me." I am still keeping a lookout for a physical copy of the game as I feel like I would probably trade it in after completing it, but this review gave me a new perspective. Thanks!

ahchurro11, are you part of the PR team for this game? You really made it scream "play me." I am still keeping a lookout for a physical copy of the game as I feel like I would probably trade it in after completing it, but this review gave me a new perspective. Thanks!
Uuhhh nope. though with how much i talk about it on twitter i may as well be. XD

I knew my bias shined through in the end. -_-

The reason its like that is cause 1)this was my first real RPG, not counting the paper mario games. 2)i prefer an unserious story with jokes and running gags than a serious story filled with emotions. This game covers that perfectly. 3) every aspect was unique to me, again mostly due to it being my first RPG, so i was given positive impressions.

I can say this though: This is probably the highest point of this series so far. I do plan on reviewing the other games at some point (specifically the vita titles), but each subsequent or previous title has either more problems or have existing problems only worse.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"