What qualifies / quantifies a platinum trophy?

stolenxnametag

PSLS Level: Kraken
PSLS Ambassador
After the Metal Gear Solid V: GZ debacle, I started reading around and can't find what makes a game worthy of holding a platinum trophy. Is this public knowledge or a proprietary secret?

After the Metal Gear Solid V: GZ debacle, I started reading around and can't find what makes a game worthy of holding a platinum trophy. Is this public knowledge or a proprietary secret?

I don't believe I have ever seen a concrete answer and we probably never will.

I don't think there is a definitive answer behind this. You look at games like MGS: GZ (No Platinum) and then at a game like Plants vs. Zombies on Vita (has Platinum). It honestly just doesn't make sense. I know people don't want to admit it, but lack of a Platinum trophy bothers people. Not sure if I would say that it hurts sales, but people definitely complain about it (myself included). Maybe if we could get an outline on the guidelines of what a game had to do to earn a Platinum trophy, it would end all the confusion.

I don't think there is a definitive answer behind this. You look at games like MGS: GZ (No Platinum) and then at a game like Plants vs. Zombies on Vita (has Platinum). It honestly just doesn't make sense. I know people don't want to admit it, but lack of a Platinum trophy bothers people. Not sure if I would say that it hurts sales, but people definitely complain about it (myself included). Maybe if we could get an outline on the guidelines of what a game had to do to earn a Platinum trophy, it would end all the confusion.
I am not sure why it bothers you so much. It's not like you are going for them anyway. :p

I am not sure why it bothers you so much. It's not like you are going for them anyway. :p
I'm at 10 now. Double digits!!! :p
Granted I'm nowhere near a trophy whore by any means, but for the games I truly enjoy (most recently being inFAMOUS: SS) I might go for the Platinum. I'm not a very diverse gamer with my games. I like my sports titles, wrestling games, and open world games. If those titles have ridiculous trophies that I'm not going enjoy playing, then I won't get the Platinum (I'm looking at you Madden Ultimate Team, WWE Online trophies).

I'm at 10 now. Double digits!!! :p
Granted I'm nowhere near a trophy whore by any means, but for the games I truly enjoy (most recently being inFAMOUS: SS) I might go for the Platinum. I'm not a very diverse gamer with my games. I like my sports titles, wrestling games, and open world games. If those titles have ridiculous trophies that I'm not going enjoy playing, then I won't get the Platinum (I'm looking at you Madden Ultimate Team, WWE Online trophies).
Then why does it matter if games you will never platinum anyway have a platinum trophy or not?

Then why does it matter if games you will never platinum anyway have a platinum trophy or not?
Because there have been games that I have played in the past that should've had more to them trophy wise. Most people look at a game that has gotten 100% and go "Oh no Platinum, doesn't matter". It's just the way a lot of people are now. I'm not saying that it phases me much from a gaming perspective, but it bothers me as a gamer (not sure that made sense). Considering some of the crappy titles that have Platinum trophies, it's annoying when better games (MGS:GZ the most recent) don't get the treatment it deserves.

Though I have been thinking of going back and improving some of those crappy trophy percentages I have, though doubtful considering my backlog.

Because there have been games that I have played in the past that should've had more to them trophy wise. Most people look at a game that has gotten 100% and go "Oh no Platinum, doesn't matter". It's just the way a lot of people are now. I'm not saying that it phases me much from a gaming perspective, but it bothers me as a gamer (not sure that made sense). Considering some of the crappy titles that have Platinum trophies, it's annoying when better games (MGS:GZ the most recent) don't get the treatment it deserves.

Though I have been thinking of going back and improving some of those crappy trophy percentages I have, though doubtful considering my backlog.
I don't really think Platinum trophies are based on "quality" of the game. I think it is more based on if the dev thinks it is a "full" game or not. MGS:GZ is considered by most to be a demo so I can see why it has no platinum. GT Prologue would fall under the same category.

I don't really think Platinum trophies are based on "quality" of the game. I think it is more based on if the dev thinks it is a "full" game or not. MGS:GZ is considered by most to be a demo so I can see why it has no platinum. GT Prologue would fall under the same category.
I think that's what's wrong with things. The game can take anywhere from 8-10 hours to complete everything. The same can be said for Mirror's Edge, Heavenly Sword, Resistance: Burning Skies, etc. I wonder if people sit around and decide if it is considered a "full game" or not, like that is their only job :p

I think in order for a game to qualify for a platinum trophy it has to have a certain amount of trophies, 40+ I think , but I'm not 100% sure on that. why platinum's are so important to so many people though, is something I will never understand.

I think that's what's wrong with things. The game can take anywhere from 8-10 hours to complete everything. The same can be said for Mirror's Edge, Heavenly Sword, Resistance: Burning Skies, etc. I wonder if people sit around and decide if it is considered a "full game" or not, like that is their only job :p
In my opinion the GT:prologue and MGS:GZ games are clearly demos. I don't think amount of content goes into it. GT:prologue had more content than most "full" games but it is still a demo at the end of the day. You can spend way more than ten hours doing everything in a beta for some games but they still aren't "full" games.

I can see your side of it though. You paid $30 for the game and feel like it has enough content to warrant that purchase as a "full" game.

I think in order for a game to qualify for a platinum trophy it has to have a certain amount of trophies, 40+ I think , but I'm not 100% sure on that. why platinum's are so important to so many people though, is something I will never understand.
This is what I am thinking as well. MGS:GZ only has 15 trophies. 1 Gold, 1 Silver and 13 Bronze trophies. it would be hard to add a Platinum to that list unless they changed all the Bronze trophies to Gold.

I don't think this is the case. There are tons of games with less than 40 trophies and they get a platinum. I don't think it has anything to do with the rest of the trophies, but the actual content of the game itself. But that still doesn't make sense, because, as the case has been made above, a game like Plants vs. Zombies gets a Plat but MGS GZ doesn't? Weird. I know it's coming from Sony's end though, not the devs.

The Last of Us, Ratchet and Clank into the Nexus and many other games all have less than 40 trophies and have a plat. I think what makes a game have a plat trophy is replay value(new game plus etc) and I guess luck/random trophies. Games that qualify for a plat cant be plat in a day. Plants v Zombies vita was a pretty time consuming plat

I don't think this is the case. There are tons of games with less than 40 trophies and they get a platinum. I don't think it has anything to do with the rest of the trophies, but the actual content of the game itself. But that still doesn't make sense, because, as the case has been made above, a game like Plants vs. Zombies gets a Plat but MGS GZ doesn't? Weird. I know it's coming from Sony's end though, not the devs.

I wasn't to sure, that's why I said "I think"
a friend of mine told me awhile back that 40+ trophies was requirement for a platinum.

This is what I am thinking as well. MGS:GZ only has 15 trophies. 1 Gold, 1 Silver and 13 Bronze trophies. it would be hard to add a Platinum to that list unless they changed all the Bronze trophies to Gold.
That's what they did with the Xbox One version. The achievements were pretty high in gamerscore number.

A game receiving a platinum has nothing to do with the other trophies on the list. The devs are told by sony if they "qualify", and then the list is made.
From everything ive ever read about this topic, it seems like the amount of content in the game is the main factor. But then you get anomalies like farming simulator which has a plat on vita but not ps3; which makes no sense whatsoever. So really it seems likeits up to sonys discretion.
As far as sales of games with plat vs. without, im sure it helps a little. I wont skip a game i really want to play if its missing a plat, but i will buy one im mildly interested in if its a quick plat.

"The reason GZ doesn't have Platinum Trophy in PS4 is due to SONY's regulation. They won't allow us to have them for non-full price game." - @HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN

This is obviously not the case because there are tons of games with platinum trophies that are not full price. Kojima clearly doesn't want to reveal the real reason for not having a platinum trophy.

"The reason GZ doesn't have Platinum Trophy in PS4 is due to SONY's regulation. They won't allow us to have them for non-full price game." - @HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN

This is obviously not the case because there are tons of games with platinum trophies that are not full price. Kojima clearly doesn't want to reveal the real reason for not having a platinum trophy.
But I seriously wonder what reason that could be.

Yeah, this is something I've never been able to figure out either. It just seems so random a lot of time. You get games like Plants vs. Zombies which doesn't have a platinum on the PS3, but still is very time consuming to achieve, but the Vita gets a platinum. And to be completely honest I think that Plants vs. Zombies can pull a platinum trophy off well.

I guess I just wish Sony had clear guidelines for what qualifies for a platinum or not. Either that or get rid of the needing their approval and leave it up to the developers, but have certain guidelines for what they have to do for what they choose. No just having a game with all golds and a platinum or something like that. Have like a minimum of 25 trophies or something if they decide to go for a platinum.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enzo0
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"