What would YOU like to see on the Vita?

May just be me, but none of them. I don't want to see any existing IP head to the Vita. I want people to really innovate with the handheld and pump out some awesome new IPs. I don't want to see it rise to glory via dropping IP names. I want to see it earn that right through blood, sweat, and tears.
Did the PSP rise to glory because of New IPs? No it didn't.
Did the DS rise to glory because of New IPs? No it didn't.
Did the 3DS rise to glory because of new IPs? No it didn't.

Hand helds don't rise to glory because of games no one has ever heard of. People are stupid. You have to give them games they are already excited about.

Do you know what the best selling Vita game early on was? Call of Duty.

It was probably the worst retail Vita game to date, terrible scores from reviewers, but not only was it the highest selling title, people gave it 9s.

People are stupid, you can't win against stupid.

May just be me, but none of them. I don't want to see any existing IP head to the Vita. I want people to really innovate with the handheld and pump out some awesome new IPs. I don't want to see it rise to glory via dropping IP names. I want to see it earn that right through blood, sweat, and tears.
Also the second round of problems with that comment is that what about games like Mod Nation Racers that aren't technically a new I.P. When they released it on the Vita about maybe 1 or 2 years later is that still a "New I.P."? How do you quantify "New I.P." exactly?

Cross-buy games? Are those ok? When you say you only want New I.P. it kinda muddies the waters. Do you mean you don't want to see the same games over and over again? What if they made Tower Fall Portable? Is it not ok for Monster Hunter, but it would be ok if they had Demon Hunter on the Vita where it is mostly the same game by the same developer but with a darker story?

There are tons of awesome new I.P. constantly coming out. People just don't want to risk $200 on a hand held and then not be sure if they will like or if any of the games will be good. People will want a Vita because of Borderlands, Minecraft, Persona, Monster Hunter, etc.

They won't get it because of Gravity Rush. Not because it's not a great game, but because, they aren't too sure if it's for them.

They won't get it because of Gravity Rush. Not because it's not a great game, but because, they aren't too sure if it's for them.
The PS2 is really the only successful system that I can think of that didn't rely on existing IPs from the previous generation.
I'm all for new exclusive installments in existing IPs (Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Killzone, LBP) as well as the new (Gravity Rush, Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice, Tearaway, Unit 13, Sound Shapes, Dragon's Crown).

Again though this topic isn't about what necessarily other people want to see but what you as an individual want out on the PS Vita. Some people want a Monster Hunter because it'd bring in more sales but I honestly have 0 interest in it even if it came to the platform.

The PS2 is really the only successful system that I can think of that didn't rely on existing IPs from the previous generation.
I'm all for new exclusive installments in existing IPs (Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Killzone, LBP) as well as the new (Gravity Rush, Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice, Tearaway, Unit 13, Sound Shapes, Dragon's Crown).

Again though this topic isn't about what necessarily other people want to see but what you as an individual want out on the PS Vita. Some people want a Monster Hunter because it'd bring in more sales but I honestly have 0 interest in it even if it came to the platform.
Did you see the sales of PS2 games?

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas - 17 mil
Gran Turismo 3 - 15 mil
Gran Turismo 4 - 12 mil
Grand Theft Auto Vice City - 10 mil
Grand Theft Auto 3 - 8 mil
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of LIberty - 7 mil
Final Fantasy X - 7 mil
Final Fantasy XII - 5.2 mil shipped
Kingdom Hearts - 6 million if you include Final MIx and Ultimate Hits
God of War 4.6 mil
Dragon quest 8 4.4 mil
Madden 2005 4.3 mil

God of War is the only new I.P. unless you count Kingdom Hearts, which is a compilation of Disney and Final Fantasy so I don't know if that counts.

My point is, you get get games that people are familiar with, and that leads to the sales, which encourages and enables the unique stuff.

Also the second round of problems with that comment is that what about games like Mod Nation Racers that aren't technically a new I.P. When they released it on the Vita about maybe 1 or 2 years later is that still a "New I.P."? How do you quantify "New I.P." exactly?

Cross-buy games? Are those ok? When you say you only want New I.P. it kinda muddies the waters. Do you mean you don't want to see the same games over and over again? What if they made Tower Fall Portable? Is it not ok for Monster Hunter, but it would be ok if they had Demon Hunter on the Vita where it is mostly the same game by the same developer but with a darker story?

There are tons of awesome new I.P. constantly coming out. People just don't want to risk $200 on a hand held and then not be sure if they will like or if any of the games will be good. People will want a Vita because of Borderlands, Minecraft, Persona, Monster Hunter, etc.

You need to brush up on some knowledge if you don't know what it means to be a new intellectual property.

Secondly, the Vita isn't launching to success right now with established IPs. All logic fails from those two posts. This topic isn't about what is selling on the Vita. It specifically asked what I would like to see on it. I really think you're missing the entire point of the thread.

Lastly, you can't take expired data and use it as indicative of anything regarding why the PS2 was successful. Literally none of the games you listed above as "reasons" were out before the PS2 was successful. It was quite successful before all of those releases.

You need to brush up on some knowledge if you don't know what it means to be a new intellectual property.

Secondly, the Vita isn't launching to success right now with established IPs. All logic fails from those two posts. This topic isn't about what is selling on the Vita. It specifically asked what I would like to see on it. I really think you're missing the entire point of the thread.

Lastly, you can't take expired data and use it as indicative of anything regarding why the PS2 was successful. Literally none of the games you listed above as "reasons" were out before the PS2 was successful. It was quite successful before all of those releases.
The PS2 was successful because of the affordable DVD playback. That is the reason it was successful and a huge factor as to why people decided to hold off on buying a Dreamcast to get a PS2. Not the ONLY reason why the Dreamcast failed and the PS2 flew, but a huge factor.

I know what the definition of new I.P. is though I just don't know how strictly to apply it.

I know I was sort of derailing the thread a bit, but his post was just really negative. If the Vita ends up succeeding it is going to be because of Borderlands 2 and Minecraft. Not because a bunch of games no one has ever heard of. How many Vitas wouldn't have gotten sold? Assassin's Creed Liberation and Black Ops Declassified are like the 2 biggest sellers on the Vita.

My points aren't wrong.

Again sorry for derailing the topic, it's kinda what I do. I'm the crazy uncle of the forums. Some people like me, and some people just sort of walk out of the room for a bit when I get there. XD

The PS2 was successful because of the affordable DVD playback. That is the reason it was successful and a huge factor as to why people decided to hold off on buying a Dreamcast to get a PS2. Not the ONLY reason why the Dreamcast failed and the PS2 flew, but a huge factor.
Thats pretty much what I was saying when I say the PS2 didn't rely on existing IPs. New IPs didn't drive it... hell gaming barely drove its sales at first. Although this discussion is more for 'save the vita' thread, the Vita really needs both. More importantly it needs quality games in notable franchises. ACL and BODeclassified are some of the Vita's biggest sellers. One was a glitchy mess at release, and CoD was a massive rush job. Obviously just having titles with big IP names on it won't be enough.

Back on topic....
Another item I'd like to see on the Vita is micro SD support (yes I'd buy a new model for it), and a video out option. I would love to be able to show others what they're missing out on with the Vita.

Thats pretty much what I was saying when I say the PS2 didn't rely on existing IPs. New IPs didn't drive it... hell gaming barely drove its sales at first. Although this discussion is more for 'save the vita' thread, the Vita really needs both. More importantly it needs quality games in notable franchises. ACL and BODeclassified are some of the Vita's biggest sellers. One was a glitchy mess at release, and CoD was a massive rush job. Obviously just having titles with big IP names on it won't be enough.

Back on topic....
Another item I'd like to see on the Vita is micro SD support (yes I'd buy a new model for it), and a video out option. I would love to be able to show others what they're missing out on with the Vita.
Final Fantasy X did release 1 year after the PS2 launched. I'm just saying that they did get a big boost from previous I.P.s but it's kinda pointless to argue about it unless we make another thread.

Micro SD support didn't occur because of hacking and to give retailers something to make a margin on. Retailers were worried that people would buy a Vita, and a cheap memory card, and then they would buy the games digitally because they are released at a lower price (some at least) and so they would have all these physical games taking up shelf space while people bought games digitally. I heard that from some reliable inside sources in the gaming industry and numerous ones at that. I wouldn't mind this happening, but I'm fairly certain you don't want to hold your breathe. Just trying to tell you why I'm not holding mine.

Video out you can get with a modded Vita though. Torgo from PS Nation uses that for his Vita game captures for reviews. I think you can send your vita in to get modded. It is possible if you have the extra cash to do it with. But yeah having a Vita Port to HDMI would be great.

Her'es a video done with this method from the podcaster I was talking about.

To be honest though I'd much rather have the PS4 be able to play Vita games. I'm hoping they can do that eventually. I mean there's the touch pad, and Vita Second Screen, so if they can emulate it, it shouldn't be an issue.

Even just the Vita T.V. coming out in the U.S. would be nice.

Last edited:
I do understand why they decided against microSD, hell I even have the 64gb imported but it is a bitch to try and get someone interested in a Vita when you gotta tack on the memory prices.
I'd jump on the VitaTV in a heartbeat. I think the obvious solution to some of the games not being compatible (like Tearaway), is allow the Vita itself to be a controller for the VitaTV. Or you could have something like "Hold L2 and use the Touch Pad on the Dual Shock 4" to emulate the rear touch pad on the Vita.

Sadly I doubt SCEA will ever bring it to the states. They seem to rarely ever acknowledge the Vita's existence. That E3 2012 after its release will probably be the worst Sony E3 i've seen.

About the PS2, I feel like I'm doing a piss poor job explaining myself so I gotta keep that talk going. I was failing to say that the PS2 was getting extreme hype before it launched and was looking to be a big success. Than once it was released the games kinda blew the whole thing open. GTA was a good franchise during the PSone days, but damn did Rockstar nail it with GTA3. You already mentioned FFX (loving it on Vita as I type this =), Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec is still the only GT that I've bought. Twisted Metal Black? Game fucking rocked. TimeSplitters remains to be my favorite FPS. It absolutely had awesome new installments in existing franchises. Tekken Tag Tournament is still my favorite. Loved the bowling in that game! I'm not a Metal Gear guy but I can't deny the success of MGS2.

I feel like you need existing IPs to kind of set your platform's install base, than you can grow it with new ones. I'm sure a good portion of people did buy Vita's to play CoD on the go. Sadly the game was trash and only had 1 installment. I bought the Vita on launch for a new IP (Gravity Rush), expected Sony's existing IPs and hoped for japan's existing and new IPs. When rumors started popping up about some AC3 thing on the Vita I was super stoked.

Well that was long way to say I agree with you Makai =) You take away FF, MGS, Twisted Metal, GTA, Gran Turismo. I probably wouldn't have been interested in the PS2. They pulled me in with the big franchises and I was able to discover the Ratchets, Metal Arms Glitch in the System, Maximo, TimeSplitters, ATV Offroad Fury, Jak and Daxter.

I do understand why they decided against microSD, hell I even have the 64gb imported but it is a bitch to try and get someone interested in a Vita when you gotta tack on the memory prices.
I'd jump on the VitaTV in a heartbeat. I think the obvious solution to some of the games not being compatible (like Tearaway), is allow the Vita itself to be a controller for the VitaTV. Or you could have something like "Hold L2 and use the Touch Pad on the Dual Shock 4" to emulate the rear touch pad on the Vita.

Sadly I doubt SCEA will ever bring it to the states. They seem to rarely ever acknowledge the Vita's existence. That E3 2012 after its release will probably be the worst Sony E3 i've seen.

About the PS2, I feel like I'm doing a piss poor job explaining myself so I gotta keep that talk going. I was failing to say that the PS2 was getting extreme hype before it launched and was looking to be a big success. Than once it was released the games kinda blew the whole thing open. GTA was a good franchise during the PSone days, but damn did Rockstar nail it with GTA3. You already mentioned FFX (loving it on Vita as I type this =), Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec is still the only GT that I've bought. Twisted Metal Black? Game fucking rocked. TimeSplitters remains to be my favorite FPS. It absolutely had awesome new installments in existing franchises. Tekken Tag Tournament is still my favorite. Loved the bowling in that game! I'm not a Metal Gear guy but I can't deny the success of MGS2.

I feel like you need existing IPs to kind of set your platform's install base, than you can grow it with new ones. I'm sure a good portion of people did buy Vita's to play CoD on the go. Sadly the game was trash and only had 1 installment. I bought the Vita on launch for a new IP (Gravity Rush), expected Sony's existing IPs and hoped for japan's existing and new IPs. When rumors started popping up about some AC3 thing on the Vita I was super stoked.

Well that was long way to say I agree with you Makai =) You take away FF, MGS, Twisted Metal, GTA, Gran Turismo. I probably wouldn't have been interested in the PS2. They pulled me in with the big franchises and I was able to discover the Ratchets, Metal Arms Glitch in the System, Maximo, TimeSplitters, ATV Offroad Fury, Jak and Daxter.
I'm actually the oddball. I was gonna get an Xbox because I wanted Shenmue 2. Played the first one 2 or 3 times. I went to a gamestop and I tried the demo unit and they had a game called Devil May Cry. I had never felt such fluid controls. When I pressed the buttons with different timings I did different attacks. I could dash, and strafe and I was thinking "Wow, I have to play this. I'll figure out what the other games I want to play are later"

For me wanting the Vita, I just needed a tax refund check and cross-buy titles to make me want he thing. I wanted a Dreamcast because of Sonic the Hedgehog. So my reasons for wanting a console vary by console. If not for Devil May Cry I'd probably have bought an Xbox and a 360.

I wish they would make a Time Splitters HD collection on Vita so bad. Games were very unique. Funny writing tons of challenges and extras. I'd also love to see another Sonic Adventure, but only if they use the Vita for expanded gameplay stuff. Mini games I can earn coins on for buying stuff, Chaos I can raise... What I want for my Vita is it to be a companion hardware piece. I don't need Vita only exclusives, just give me good remote play options and some cross-buys and i'll be happy.

I'd also love to see another Sonic Adventure, but only if they use the Vita for expanded gameplay stuff. Mini games I can earn coins on for buying stuff, Chaos I can raise... What I want for my Vita is it to be a companion hardware piece. I don't need Vita only exclusives, just give me good remote play options and some cross-buys and i'll be happy.

I've got my fingers crossed for that TimeSplitters Rewind. They're expecting to release on the PS4 last I heard. As for Sonic Adventure... I would gladly sacrifice a SCEA executive or two to get a new one made for the Vita. Chao raising was awesome. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle pretty much justified my Gamecube purchase. The Gamecube was the first console I bought for myself back when I was like 14 or 15. Chao Raising greatly enhances Sonic's re-playability. Its hard for me to justify a $60 purchase for a short platformer (which probably won't be the greatest with Sega's recent record), chao raising and the A-E ranking system really gives you reasons to go back through and play the levels again.

I'd totally support a SEGA Dreamcast Collection on the Vita. Even if it was just the games that they've released on PSN. I'm always silently praying for the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection to be released on Vita... but I know its just a dream.

I've got my fingers crossed for that TimeSplitters Rewind. They're expecting to release on the PS4 last I heard. As for Sonic Adventure... I would gladly sacrifice a SCEA executive or two to get a new one made for the Vita. Chao raising was awesome. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle pretty much justified my Gamecube purchase. The Gamecube was the first console I bought for myself back when I was like 14 or 15. Chao Raising greatly enhances Sonic's re-playability. Its hard for me to justify a $60 purchase for a short platformer (which probably won't be the greatest with Sega's recent record), chao raising and the A-E ranking system really gives you reasons to go back through and play the levels again.

I'd totally support a SEGA Dreamcast Collection on the Vita. Even if it was just the games that they've released on PSN. I'm always silently praying for the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection to be released on Vita... but I know its just a dream.
they had a Sega Genesis Classics on the PSP.

they had a Sega Genesis Classics on the PSP.
Yeah... but it didn't have Shining Force on it. >< Its kinda sad that they still haven't released an actual "Ultra" Genesis Collection. the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection was just about perfect, but it lacked Sonic 2 & Knuckles and Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

I wish they'd kinda just release a 'virtual' Genesis that is an app you download. Than from that app it lets you purchase individual titles.

Yeah... but it didn't have Shining Force on it. >< Its kinda sad that they still haven't released an actual "Ultra" Genesis Collection. the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection was just about perfect, but it lacked Sonic 2 & Knuckles and Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

I wish they'd kinda just release a 'virtual' Genesis that is an app you download. Than from that app it lets you purchase individual titles.

I have a sneaking suspicion we'll see Genesis titles released on the Wii U Virtual Console in the future. But if you don't have a Wii U you can't play, obviously.

The Sega Genesis Collection on the PS2 had the ability to lock the games and play those. The argument that they would have to drop the bonus games to put that in has to be fallacious.

The Sega Genesis Collection on the PS2 had the ability to lock the games and play those. The argument that they would have to drop the bonus games to put that in has to be fallacious.
I've never heard an actual reason why the Sonic2/3 & Knuckles weren't apart of the PS3 collection. I remember them being on the old Sonic Collection for the Gamecube.

Would be kind of cool to see a Ultimate Sega Saturn or Dreamcast Collection

I've never heard an actual reason why the Sonic2/3 & Knuckles weren't apart of the PS3 collection. I remember them being on the old Sonic Collection for the Gamecube.

Would be kind of cool to see a Ultimate Sega Saturn or Dreamcast Collection
Yeah but the issue there is that the games are up to 1GB each. Sure many of them are way lower than that but still. It wouldn't happen on a 360. No room. they'd only be able to put on like 5 games if they had Space Channel 5.

Sonic games are already on there. So what games would they put on? Powerstone 1 and 2? Some fighting games? The boxing game?

What I'd REALLY want to see, is a "Sega Imports Collection"

There they could have Ikaruga, Rivals Highschool (old fighting game with school kids and team mechanics), and a lot of other games that didn't make it over here to begin with.

Sega should bring over Shining Force III. Would love to finally get a chance to play it.
I'd be happy with just 4 or 5 key Dreamcast or Saturn games on the Vita (I don't have any interest in the last gen consoles.) Although that is more than I actually care about. I really just want to play Nights, Shining Force 3 & Sonic Adventure 2 on my Vita.

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII would be nice. Even the damn PSP version, but it's not on the store. Still don't get why.

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII would be nice. Even the damn PSP version, but it's not on the store. Still don't get why.
I read awhile ago that it was because of copyright issues due to the ending song "Why"
I'd love a PSP Essentials (q)HD pack for Vita. Have FF7Crisis Core/KH Birth By Sleep be the first Vol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enzo0
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"