Wouldn't it be neat

so I was at best buy today with a friend checking out the gaming section, when we were approached by an employee (duh). we began talking about the ps4 and games in general, when she mentioned she could only ay certain types of games because she could only use one hand.

wouldn't it be neat if gaming companies started to make controllers and accessories that could make it easier for people who have physical disabilities to play? I think it would be awesome. if it were done right, it could work out really well.

so I was at best buy today with a friend checking out the gaming section, when we were approached by an employee (duh). we began talking about the ps4 and games in general, when she mentioned she could only ay certain types of games because she could only use one hand.

wouldn't it be neat if gaming companies started to make controllers and accessories that could make it easier for people who have physical disabilities to play? I think it would be awesome. if it were done right, it could work out really well.
This is actually a really good idea. So that everyone is able to enjoy the hobby that is gaming.

I was hanging out in reddit one day and noticed a post similar to this. Turns out some guy took it upon himself to do this. I haven't watched the full video so I'm not sure of the content but the teaser seemed interesting enough. One day when I have a bit more time. It would be nice if first parties took it upon themselves to cater to the disabled but I can see why they wouldn't :rolleyes:.

Btw, How does your local Best Buy look in terms of stock/organization?

well when I was there the woman said that they actually had 1 ps4 in stock, that they usually get a couple in but they disappear within a week or less. they had a whole bunch of xbox one consoles though lol

the ps3 game section was torn up, in other words they were practically selling out of all ps3 games new and used and the vita games were kinda spread out. not making much money on the vita end.

I was hanging out in reddit one day and noticed a post similar to this. Turns out some guy took it upon himself to do this. I haven't watched the full video so I'm not sure of the content but the teaser seemed interesting enough. One day when I have a bit more time. It would be nice if first parties took it upon themselves to cater to the disabled but I can see why they wouldn't :rolleyes:.

There is a non profit that tries to help developers and stuff that want to be accessible get someone to help them become accessible.

There are gaming products that allow for extra accessibility.

For the most part accessibility is largely helped just by button mapping options. A guy on my friends list is disabled and he has 86 platinums level 32. He's got a dwarfism I believe, and a arm that's extra short in a wheel chair. So... yeah... It's not impossible to game. Especially with so many indie games using so few buttons.

well when I was there the woman said that they actually had 1 ps4 in stock, that they usually get a couple in but they disappear within a week or less. they had a whole bunch of xbox one consoles though lol

the ps3 game section was torn up, in other words they were practically selling out of all ps3 games new and used and the vita games were kinda spread out. not making much money on the vita end.
Are there places that are sold out of Xbones?

I don't even think we saw a rush when Titanfall came out.

Are there places that are sold out of Xbones?

I don't even think we saw a rush when Titanfall came out.

doubt it lol

they are in abundance over here it's the ps4's that are selling out, and the ps3's were picking up as well. I only saw 3 ps3's at best buy they were the "the last of us" bundles. gamestop didn't have much to offer excpt for a whole bunch of unsold xbox systems and games.

doubt it lol

they are in abundance over here it's the ps4's that are selling out, and the ps3's were picking up as well. I only saw 3 ps3's at best buy they were the "the last of us" bundles. gamestop didn't have much to offer excpt for a whole bunch of unsold xbox systems and games.
At the Target I work at we don't have any Sony Products except we had some clearance PS2s. XD No idea where the hell they pulled those out of.

The PS3s, PS4s, and Vitas sold out. I had to have them hold my PS4 for 5 hours while I worked because it would have sold if they didn't hold it for me.

At the Target I work at we don't have any Sony Products except we had some clearance PS2s. XD No idea where the hell they pulled those out of.

The PS3s, PS4s, and Vitas sold out. I had to have them hold my PS4 for 5 hours while I worked because it would have sold if they didn't hold it for me.

but to think of the things that could be done, if this idea was done right. it could be a big step for gaming.

but to think of the things that could be done, if this idea was done right. it could be a big step for gaming.
The problem is you don't know how big that audience is, you don't know how many people will benefit, you could make parts of the game worse trying to be too accommodating. The really small developers can't afford it, and the really huge developers probably wouldn't see the bottom line boost to justify it to their shareholders.

To quote from Final Fantasy XI

"Impossible to Gauge"

The problem is you don't know how big that audience is, you don't know how many people will benefit, you could make parts of the game worse trying to be too accommodating. The really small developers can't afford it, and the really huge developers probably wouldn't see the bottom line boost to justify it to their shareholders.

To quote from Final Fantasy XI

"Impossible to Gauge"

I think the audience and the amount of people who would benefit from it, is larger then one thinks. if done right, the games would be fine. game developers should have no problem with it, because if they want the customers they will do it. something like this would mean, more gamers, more gamers means more money and clients, something I don't think shareholders would have a problem with. it's also an untapped market.

I think the audience and the amount of people who would benefit from it, is larger then one thinks. if done right, the games would be fine. game developers should have no problem with it, because if they want the customers they will do it. something like this would mean, more gamers, more gamers means more money and clients, something I don't think shareholders would have a problem with. it's also an untapped market.
It's actually not an untapped audience. There are controllers where you can remap buttons without developers having to be conscious of it. You really need to have like a Kickstarter. Wasn't there a feature where people could petition Sony?

You say that there's a huge untapped group but... unless you get enough of them to make themselves known, the culture won't change. Sony would have to have an accessibility department.

It's actually not an untapped audience. There are controllers where you can remap buttons without developers having to be conscious of it. You really need to have like a Kickstarter. Wasn't there a feature where people could petition Sony?

You say that there's a huge untapped group but... unless you get enough of them to make themselves known, the culture won't change. Sony would have to have an accessibility department.
I have heard of those types of controllers however they extremely expensive. Too me however I think there is always a market for that type of control setup it is a question of the developers taking the time to program the game controls to recognize
them just like all those Kinect hacks on the PC for games like Skyrim all they have to do is try.

I have heard of those types of controllers however they extremely expensive. Too me however I think there is always a market for that type of control setup it is a question of the developers taking the time to program the game controls to recognize
them just like all those Kinect hacks on the PC for games like Skyrim all they have to do is try.

Here's the thing though. Morpheus isn't being designed to be ghetto rigged into existing games. That's why the other one is a bad idea. The idea is to make stuff that is specific to the platform. The goal isn't to just jam some code into Borderlands 2 and say "Have fun". It's more like "Here's Walking With Dinosaurs the Experience." or "Made by the developers of Heavy Rain, and that other game, here is a new I.P. designed to work with Morpheus"

I really don't mind having a head mounted gaming screen. Right now my wife is watching a horror movie while I play the Vita. I'd like to have that instead of trying to add ANOTHER screen to my desktop.

You either want to build a new experience from the ground up, or you want to just have it be another way to view content. You don't want to try and jam old content in by mapping X Y controls into a gyroscopic mapping.

That's why the other one gives people motion sickness. Because it's being added to stuff after the fact and your mind is trying to construct a reality based on what it senses. You are tricking your mind into making this a new reality, but when there's a delay, or things don't quite work properly, your reality gets broken and that jars you into that nausea. Hacking the motion controls into a game is the exact wrong thing to do.

Last edited:
Here's the thing though. Morpheus isn't being designed to be ghetto rigged into existing games. That's why the other one is a bad idea. The idea is to make stuff that is specific to the platform. The goal isn't to just jam some code into Borderlands 2 and say "Have fun". It's more like "Here's Walking With Dinosaurs the Experience." or "Made by the developers of Heavy Rain, and that other game, here is a new I.P. designed to work with Morpheus"

I really don't mind having a head mounted gaming screen. Right now my wife is watching a horror movie while I play the Vita. I'd like to have that instead of trying to add ANOTHER screen to my desktop.

You either want to build a new experience from the ground up, or you want to just have it be another way to view content. You don't want to try and jam old content in by mapping X Y controls into a gyroscopic mapping.

That's why the other one gives people motion sickness. Because it's being added to stuff after the fact and your mind is trying to construct a reality based on what it senses. You are tricking your mind into making this a new reality, but when there's a delay, or things don't quite work properly, your reality gets broken and that jars you into that nausea. Hacking the motion controls into a game is the exact wrong thing to do.

I fail to see how VR factored in to the topic. I can say from experience and from what I've seen, trying harder to be more helpful to a gamer with problems would be a big plus.

I fail to see how VR factored in to the topic. I can say from experience and from what I've seen, trying harder to be more helpful to a gamer with problems would be a big plus.
I think I got confused what topic i was replying to and saw the "Kinect PC" hack comment.

XD

I think what would really help is if the indie games that used small amounts of buttons had Playstation Nav controller options.

There's a game called Earth Bound and you could play pretty much the entire game 1 handed. Which is magnificent since you needed the other hand for all the crazy insane archaic puzzles put into the game...

There's like 2 or 3 times where the answer to progressing is to not touch anything for a given amount of time. XD

I think I got confused what topic i was replying to and saw the "Kinect PC" hack comment.

XD

I think what would really help is if the indie games that used small amounts of buttons had Playstation Nav controller options.

There's a game called Earth Bound and you could play pretty much the entire game 1 handed. Which is magnificent since you needed the other hand for all the crazy insane archaic puzzles put into the game...

There's like 2 or 3 times where the answer to progressing is to not touch anything for a given amount of time. XD

I've heard of people learning to play with their feet (kinda hard to believe, but hey where there's a will there's a way), and others with prosthetics playing ddr and getting high scores. if there was a way to make it easier it would just be epic, companies just have to get off their butts and try to make it happen.

I've heard of people learning to play with their feet (kinda hard to believe, but hey where there's a will there's a way), and others with prosthetics playing ddr and getting high scores. if there was a way to make it easier it would just be epic, companies just have to get off their butts and try to make it happen.
Like I said though they have to make themselves heard. They're not going to do it for hypothetical people with a variety of problems that make it hard to mass produce a single solution. The issue with accessibility is that not everyone has the same issues. Some might have no feeling in their thumb. Some might have only one good hand. Some might not have 2 legs. The problem is knowing who you're making it accessible for and for what issues and for what games.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"