Drakengard 3 ... a mini rant

Lifewish

중재자
Staff member
So I am working on my review for Drakengard 3 and there is one thing I just don't understand. How is it that this late in the life of the PS3 and 3 games into this series, have they not figured out how to properly set up the camera? I mean seriously, I think almost all of my deaths in the game have been due to the camera going on shitty on me and causing me to lose my place in the world and get destroyed. I mean come on people, if I run up near a 3 story tall monster, how about the camera pan back a little to give me more view of the battlefield instead of zooming into his crouch and giving me a sight line like that of a pervert peeking through a hole in the wall, ala Porky's.

(See, her hands are around the camera, so you can't see anything!)
porkys.jpg

Other than that, all the mechanics in the game feel ancient and at times there just isn't enough there to satisfy the snob gamer that I am.

Oh Porky's, what an awesome movie. I haven't seen it in years..

Anyways, I know you are working on the review now, but would you recommend it as a quick yes or no? I vaguely remember enjoying the first or second game on PS2, and LOVE Nier, but am a bit put off by some of the issues I've heard about this game, from framerates to camera issues to it being RPG lite. I'm assuming it's okay to talk about since it officially came out today so I'm guessing any embargo is lifted now.

Last edited:
As a quick yes or no, I would actually lean towards yes, though I would warn it may be a better rental than purchase.

I have an extra $30 on PSN, Transistor and Watch Dogs both preordered and paid in full, so I don't mind too much spending $20 on it since I'm not interested in Wolfenstein. I don't mind supporting a dev when we can get more games out of them one day. Especially since Nier was a different dev but the same universe and I love that game to death.

I have an extra $30 on PSN, Transistor and Watch Dogs both preordered and paid in full, so I don't mind too much spending $20 on it since I'm not interested in Wolfenstein. I don't mind supporting a dev when we can get more games out of them one day. Especially since Nier was a different dev but the same universe and I love that game to death.

$20 for the game isn't a terrible purchase at all, though I would be hard pressed to rush to the store and spend the full amount.

I almost preordered this game several months ago whenever Square Enix sent out emails to everyone on the mailing list saying that it was coming out and had 3 tiers of pre-order bonuses. I'm kind of glad that I didn't.

I almost preordered this game several months ago whenever Square Enix sent out emails to everyone on the mailing list saying that it was coming out and had 3 tiers of pre-order bonuses. I'm kind of glad that I didn't.
I'm glad I preordered, the special edition is pretty good. But to be fair, Cavia's games are an acquired taste, and Drakengard 3 is as rough as any of them

I'm glad I preordered, the special edition is pretty good. But to be fair, Cavia's games are an acquired taste, and Drakengard 3 is as rough as any of them

Drakengard 3 is not Cavia, it is actually Access Games. This was due to the company's experience at developing action titles and the team's wish to address criticisms laid at the gameplay of previous titles, per Wikipedia. Which is funny because Drakengard 3 doesn't seem to address much and has some serious rough issues.

Drakengard 3 is not Cavia, it is actually Access Games. This was due to the company's experience at developing action titles and the team's wish to address criticisms laid at the gameplay of previous titles, per Wikipedia. Which is funny because Drakengard 3 doesn't seem to address much and has some serious rough issues.
Well I like to think of it as the remains of Cavia since a lot of the staff ended up there.

I think they did address some of the issues with the original Drakengard, just not in the best way possible. As mediocre as Drakengard 3's combat is, it's not as butt-numbingly dull like the first game was.

Well I like to think of it as the remains of Cavia since a lot of the staff ended up there.

I think they did address some of the issues with the original Drakengard, just not in the best way possible. As mediocre as Drakengard 3's combat is, it's not as butt-numbingly dull like the first game was.
the combat isn't my problem with Drakengard 3.. it is the horrible camera, framerate issues, and the extremely easy nature of the game. I mean I don't want throw your controller hard, but I also don't want play one handed easy boss battles.

I've been thinking of picking it up since I liked the PS2 games. I guess I could get it from gamefly and keep it if I like it.

I just got Ending C right now and I've been tasked with collecting EVERY.SINGLE.WEAPON in the game to unlock the true end. The spirit of Cavia rears its ugly head, but to be honest I can't wait to find out what happens. I just love the concept of alternate timelines in any video game that isn't Bioshock Infinite.

I just got Ending C right now and I've been tasked with collecting EVERY.SINGLE.WEAPON in the game to unlock the true end. The spirit of Cavia rears its ugly head, but to be honest I can't wait to find out what happens. I just love the concept of alternate timelines in any video game that isn't Bioshock Infinite.

The alternate timelines part is a huge bonus for the game and provides more bang for your buck for sure.

The alternate timelines part is a huge bonus for the game and provides more bang for your buck for sure.
I have to ask, did you play through Branch D? I didn't see any mention of it in your review, and for the most part it's finally giving the story all the closure it needed. But that last boss fight, man... I can understand wanting to reference the original Drakengard's infamous Ending E in what may possibly be the last entry in the franchise, but I am completely overwhelmed at how hard it is (or how bad my timing is, rather).

I've seriously been at it for about an hour and I'm just about ready to kill myself.

I have to ask, did you play through Branch D? I didn't see any mention of it in your review, and for the most part it's finally giving the story all the closure it needed. But that last boss fight, man... I can understand wanting to reference the original Drakengard's infamous Ending E in what may possibly be the last entry in the franchise, but I am completely overwhelmed at how hard it is (or how bad my timing is, rather).

I've seriously been at it for about an hour and I'm just about ready to kill myself.

No sorry I did not do Branch D.. I got about enough I could take of the game and had to get my review out.

No sorry I did not do Branch D.. I got about enough I could take of the game and had to get my review out.
well I don't blame you, but so far it's been the best part of the game. The payoff was worth it and pretty much every question about the Intoners and the flower has been answered.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oompa08
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"