I want to play a good racing game. Help!

stolenxnametag

PSLS Level: Kraken
PSLS Ambassador
I haven't played a solid racing game in forever, so what would you recommend?

I prefer a simple, straight-to-the-point racing game. No missions, no carjacking, and no 250 layers of customization to build a car that is slightly better than stock. Anyone have a suggestion?

Oh, and Sega GT (Xbox), Mario Kart 64 (N64), and F-Zero (SNES) are my favorite racing games of all time, with Road Rash III (Sega Genesis) being an honorable mention.

One game that also deserves mention is Burnout Paradise. Probably the best racing game of last gen, but it is an open world racer.

I still highly recommend the original Need for Speed Most Wanted. When you tuned your car in that one, it actually made a difference. I loved that I beat the game with a RX-7. If you're talking something more recent, Rivals may interest you. Pretty straight forward with races littered throughout the map. Cops can get in the way so if you want none of that chaos, steer clear of the game.

Blur and Split/Second were great, it's a shame they didn't perform that well at retail.
And if you haven't played Sonic All stars Racing Transformed yet, I'd suggest you get on that ASAP. I haven't enjoyed a kart racer that much since Diddy Kong Racing

Blur and Split/Second were great, it's a shame they didn't perform that well at retail.
And if you haven't played Sonic All stars Racing Transformed yet, I'd suggest you get on that ASAP. I haven't enjoyed a kart racer that much since Diddy Kong Racing

Yes! Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed dethroned Crash Team Racing as my all time favorite arcade style kart racer. Still don't like racing as Danica though. That was just an odd choice of celebrity.

Yes! Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed dethroned Crash Team Racing as my all time favorite arcade style kart racer. Still don't like racing as Danica though. That was just an odd choice of celebrity.

I quite enjoyed the inclusion of Wreck-it Ralph though.

Burnout Paradise and Definitley Sonic, and its fairly challenging as well. But seriously WTF is EA thinking about by not following up Burnout Paradise, instead they made criterion save all of their crappy games. Just give me a true followup to Burnout Paradise.

Burnout Paradise and Definitley Sonic, and its fairly challenging as well. But seriously WTF is EA thinking about by not following up Burnout Paradise, instead they made criterion save all of their crappy games. Just give me a true followup to Burnout Paradise.

Save? Personally I feel Criterion only hurt the NFS franchise. I'm hoping Ghost Games can remedy that. Criterion put too much Burnout into Need for Speed. Just excessive. They made it more about exploding than actually racing. And if I want that kind of nonsense, I'll put in Burnout.

Save? Personally I feel Criterion only hurt the NFS franchise. I'm hoping Ghost Games can remedy that. Criterion put too much Burnout into Need for Speed. Just excessive. They made it more about exploding than actually racing. And if I want that kind of nonsense, I'll put in Burnout.

No, I agree with you. EA wanted Criterion to Save them instead of putting them to bed where they belong. Although i will say Most Wanted was decent and that only because it had so much of Burnout Paradise in it.

I will say Rivals on PS4 is ok, i thought it was going to be terrible. But its also the only racing option. And I will say that I get much more out of Forza 5 though, which was my main reason for even buying an XBone in the first place.

No, I agree with you. EA wanted Criterion to Save them instead of putting them to bed where they belong. Although i will say Most Wanted was decent and that only because it had so much of Burnout Paradise in it.

I will say Rivals on PS4 is ok, i thought it was going to be terrible. But its also the only racing option. And I will say. I get much more out of Forza 5 though, which was my main reason for even buying an XBone in the first place.

I just can't get behind driving sims. I drive all the time. Literally. I don't want to play a game where I do the same thing as I usually do throughout my everyday life. Thus, I go to the arcade or arcade/sim titles. Need for Speed just provides that for me like nothing else can. I get up to 100 all the time, I don't need the false thrill of driving a few dozen mph faster than that in a simulator. I want the excitement of hitting near 200 and leaping off a bridge or hitting "turbo" and zooming past opponents. But I don't want over the top, slow-mo explosions either.

Very much looking forward to The Crew at this point though. That game is looking remarkable. And I'm almost completely unenthused about Driveclub at this point.

I just can't get behind driving sims. I drive all the time. Literally. I don't want to play a game where I do the same thing as I usually do throughout my everyday life. Thus, I go to the arcade or arcade/sim titles. Need for Speed just provides that for me like nothing else can. I get up to 100 all the time, I don't need the false thrill of driving a few dozen mph faster than that in a simulator. I want the excitement of hitting near 200 and leaping off a bridge or hitting "turbo" and zooming past opponents. But I don't want over the top, slow-mo explosions either.

Very much looking forward to The Crew at this point though. That game is looking remarkable. And I'm almost completely unenthused about Driveclub at this point.

I go between both. Forza to me is a bit in between as its not super-sim in my eyes. Yeah you are racing on real tracks, but you can change all of the settings to make it easier or more difficult based on your skills. But I do find that i get burned out much faster than I used to. I usually just do a few races every time I turn it on and then change genres completely.

I am a Car guy so I love Cars and Driving and I was always more into Gran Turismo/Forza's in the past. However Burnout Paradise was the only Arcade Racer other than Kart Racers that I really really enjoyed. So much so that I completed the game on PS3 and 360, i even have 100% completion on PSN including all DLC, and the communities are still alive.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enzo0
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"