WildStar

Phoenix8387

PSLS Level: Bronze
So I'm finally allowed to talk about this. They revealed the the release ate today, which is June 3rd. Also dropping the NDA, so I can finally say that I've been playing the game since late last year.

For those unfamiliar with it, it's an action oriented MMO. Similar to Guild Wars, Neverwinter Online and [I suppose] ESO. The company originated with a lot (~50) MMO veteran developers many of which worked on vanilla WoW.

So I'm finally allowed to talk about this. They revealed the the release ate today, which is June 3rd. Also dropping the NDA, so I can finally say that I've been playing the game since late last year.

For those unfamiliar with it, it's an action oriented MMO. Similar to Guild Wars, Neverwinter Online and [I suppose] ESO. The company originated with a lot (~50) MMO veteran developers many of which worked on vanilla WoW.

Nice. What do you think of it so far compared to some of the other MMO's on the market?

Nice. What do you think of it so far compared to some of the other MMO's on the market?
For me, WildStar has been the most fun MMO I've played since WoW. My general approach to MMOs has been to play to max level, then quit. SWTOR finally broke that trend which had me stick around for roughly a year thanks in part to my guild (Shot First on Krayt Dragon/Shadowlands, if anybody played). Guild Wars 2 is probably the game it plays the closest to, just adding the holy trinity into the mix.

I think the largest hitch WildStar is going to get hung up on is the sub fee. The market for sub-based games is shrinking, even more so for a new IP.

For me, WildStar has been the most fun MMO I've played since WoW. My general approach to MMOs has been to play to max level, then quit. SWTOR finally broke that trend which had me stick around for roughly a year thanks in part to my guild (Shot First on Krayt Dragon/Shadowlands, if anybody played). Guild Wars 2 is probably the game it plays the closest to, just adding the holy trinity into the mix.

I think the largest hitch WildStar is going to get hung up on is the sub fee. The market for sub-based games is shrinking, even more so for a new IP.

A very valid point. I hadn't known about a sub and, honestly, that turns me off of it. I thought it b2p like Guild Wars 2. It looks fun as hell, but I have enough subs right now. I'm not tacking on more.

A very valid point. I hadn't known about a sub and, honestly, that turns me off of it. I thought it b2p like Guild Wars 2. It looks fun as hell, but I have enough subs right now. I'm not tacking on more.

Well I got in the beta two weeks ago. It didn't seem too innovative to me. I like the visual style of it and the assortment of character customization options. However, the gameplay seemed only marginally different from what we've seen in any other mmo. It still left me with the sense of a traditional mmo, despite its free aim mechanic. The story didn't grab me whatsoever.

Right now, it needs to do a lot more to take my attention away from DCUO. FFXIV: ARR, (hopefully) ESO, and Destiny.

I'm really debating pre-ordering this, anyone started playing with the Early-Start today?

I'm really debating pre-ordering this, anyone started playing with the Early-Start today?

I played the beta just before early access. You can see my thoughts above. It just needs to do more to shine through the rest of the MMOs out there. I just don't think it will accomplish that at this point in time.

I've pre-ordered but won't be staying up until head start (3 AM EST, ugh). I'll be playing a good portion of the day tomorrow though and pretty much all day Sunday. Server is currently undecided as I'm waiting to hear from some people that the SWTOR guild I co-lead are going to be playing on. But I will have a few characters on the Caretaker server at the very least.

Edit: Just heard back, my main server will be Caretaker with Avatus or Stormtalon being secondary.

I played the beta just before early access. You can see my thoughts above. It just needs to do more to shine through the rest of the MMOs out there. I just don't think it will accomplish that at this point in time.
Just curious, how far did you get? The game doesn't shine until around 15-20, specifically once you have access to Dungeons and to a lesser extent Adventures. And to your story point from the previous post, the real story wasn't in the beta and doesn't start until level 30. What was in beta was just the small zone stories and some very small overarching stuff.

Last edited:
I've pre-ordered but won't be staying up until head start (3 AM EST, ugh). I'll be playing a good portion of the day tomorrow though and pretty much all day Sunday. Server is currently undecided as I'm waiting to hear from some people that the SWTOR guild I co-lead are going to be playing on. But I will have a few characters on the Caretaker server at the very least.

Just curious, how far did you get? The game doesn't shine until around 15-20, specifically once you have access to Dungeons and to a lesser extent Adventures. And to your story point from the previous post, the real story wasn't in the beta and doesn't start until level 30. What was in beta was just the small zone stories and some very small overarching stuff.

Then it was a horrible test. I hit 17, if I'm not mistaken. May have been 18. When I test it is to do so on all aspects and provide feedback for each of them. I wanted to press on but it just didn't hold me enough to do so. If they give me a free trial weekend of sorts, then I might delve back in and see what they withheld from me during testing.

I ended up pre-ordering this afterall since I had a bunch of Best Buy RWZ Certificates. But I only ended up getting a 1-day head start due to not getting my code from Best Buy in a timely manner. I Played about 4 hours yesterday and made it up through level 6. I am enjoying it so far, I just wish it was B2P like GW2 was. Not sure I want to keep 2 mmo subs going.

Name: Vinomen
Server: Caretaker
Race: Mordesh
Class: Engineer
Path: Explorer

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member