Hatsune Miku Project DIVA F (PS3/Vita)

ahchurro11

PSLS Level: Bronze
(I am new to the whole reviewing scene so I hope I do this well. Any comments will be appreciated. )

Hatsune Miku Project DIVA F - The vocaloids' stage show in the Western world

Hatsune Miku is the walking definition of a virtual star. Her video game line up on PSP and PS3 have been some successful and addicting games in the rhythm genre, and now the West has a taste of the rhythm action. Some might overlook the game either because of its graphical style or the very concept of it. But there is a difference between seeing a game and actually playing it.

Hatsune Miku Project DIVA F consists of about 3 major modes: Rhythm Game, DIVA Room, and Edit Mode. There are also some minor modes such as a photo mode and records that will be explained later.

Rhythm Mode is the major part of the game and the place where you will most likely spend your time in. As per standard with most rhythm games, there are 4 difficulties for each song, with 38 songs in the game (6 being DLC for the Vita). Now normally a rhythm game having only 38 would be a bad thing in most rhythm games, but I don't mind it in this case. The reason for that is because each song has not only a custom video to play in the background, plus an accompanying costume, or module, to go with it. You can even change the costumes or add accessories to either fit with the song or completely go against the song's tone. Each difficulty also feels different enough to warrant playing through each one at least once. You unlock songs by playing previously unlocked songs and unlock the next difficulty of a song by playing the previously unlocked difficulty, with normal and easy being unlocked for each song by default. This is the only real major issue I have with this mode. Whether or not it is for newcomers or for padding, but it is a dumb decision to lock out higher difficulties, especially for veterans of the game.

The rhythm gameplay is actually complex to the first timer. To summarize, notes can appear on any part of the screen, usually following a pattern that goes all over. You hit the corresponding circle, cross, square, or triangle button when the note and the marker line up. There are two exceptions to this: the arrow notes in which you hit both the button and the arrow on the d-pad which mirrors the face buttons and the star notes which are triggered by either flicking the control sticks or moving your thumb over the touch screen in a scratching motion (former for PS3, latter for Vita). Each song also has two gameplay sections mixed in: technical zones and chance times. Technical zones are simple in concept: play through a given section of a song without screwing up, get bonus points toward your rank. Chance time is where the points given are increased, along with a star meter that you fill up by playing accurately. There is a giant star note at the end of every chance time that can also change the video background if you hit it when it is colored. At the end you are given a rank based on how accurate you are throughout the song. The ranks you can get include drop out, standard, great, excellent, and perfect. There are also items that you can choose before the song starts to either help you beat it or give you a harder time.

2014-09-12-090457.jpg
This game can be quite hard.
2014-09-12-092959.jpg
Luckily there is a detailed tutorial on how to play...

2014-09-05-224548.jpg
...And help items to make things easier (or harder with the challenge items).

The DIVA Room is where you go to hangout with Miku and her friends when they aren't singing away. You can change their costumes, give them gifts, customize their rooms, play a rock, paper, scissors game, and grow a "bond" with them in the communication mode. To be honest, this is my least favorite part of the game as a whole. The idea of watching the vocaloids is actually kind of creepy, even if they are not real, with the communication mode making it worse. What makes this worse is that a lot of the trophies in the game are based on the DIVA room, meaning that if you wish to platinum the game, then you have to to spend a lot of unnecessary time in it. The only redeeming factors of this mode are the cutscenes you get with certain furniture items and gifts and the ability to customize the rooms themselves. If you are a fan of sim games, then you might get an enjoyment in this mode, otherwise avoid it unless you want that platinum trophy.

2014-09-05-225040.jpg
This feels extremely awkward for me.

2014-09-05-225105.jpg
Hey there buddy. What'cha doin?

2014-09-12-095425.jpg
Miku's Chibi Shelf of Happiness!

2014-09-05-225242.jpg
At least you gave it your best Miku. That's what counts.

The edit mode is basically similar to Little Big Planet's level creator, only for rhythm games. Yo get to create your own videos, add your own note patterns, choose your own difficulty, etc. You can even upload it to the internet to show it to the world and use your own music. To be honest I haven't spent too much time in this mode, but that is because it is super complex to understand. I you do manage to learn how to use it, then it can potentially add a TON a of replay value to the game. The only problem with this mode has to do more with the online uploading feature: you can only upload three at a time. Other than that, this part of the game has the most depth added to it when time is invested.

2014-09-12-091143.jpg
In Edit Mode, you can make a music video to any song (game or not),...

2014-09-12-091327.jpg
...Add a target note pattern to it (for game play, of course),...

2014-09-12-095727.jpg
...Then upload it for the world to see what you've made! (or not. Your choice)

The other modes include include a photo mode, a shop, a records database, and the settings. The photo mode lets you watch some exclusive songs in live stage form (or via AR using a specific Hatsune Miku AR card) or make/take photos with Miku and her friends. The shop is where you go to buy the various costumes, accessories for the characters, and the furniture for the DIVA room. The records tab lets you see your general play information, specific song information, and see your title list, which are built in achievements (some of which are also trophies). The settings are rather self explanatory.

Overall, Hatsune Miku Project DIVA F is a an amazing game for fans of either rhythm games, vocaloids, or both.for people who are not a fan of either or are hesitant about getting it, try the demo and see if that appeals to you. If it doesn't then the game is probably isn't for you. The game successes with it's addicting rhythm gameplay, heavy amount of customization, and deep edit mode. Unfortunately it falls on its face with the DIVA room and its heavy amount of trophies involved with it, high learning curve for edit mode, and poor online execution.

Score 8.5/10

Last edited:
Not a huge fan of rhythm games but this does sound pretty interesting. Nice review.
Thanks man, appreciate the comment. This game might not appeal to you then, seeing s it is mostly a rhythm game. There is a demo for each platform, so I'd recommend seeing that first and see where it goes. It's definitely for those looking for a challenge or for something different.

Thanks man, appreciate the comment. This game might not appeal to you then, seeing s it is mostly a rhythm game. There is a demo for each platform, so I'd recommend seeing that first and see where it goes. It's definitely for those looking for a challenge or for something different.
Oh I didn't even realize there was a demo, so I will def. at least give this shot.

Thanks

I've owned Project Diva f on PS3 for a while, never bothered to touch the other features besides the songs themselves. At least now I know what they are, good job going into detail.

I got the platinum for this game just a week or so after getting it (would've gotten it sooner had i not been working). It is the easiest platinum i have ever gotten and the sequel i got from the japan psn store is even more fun

I got the platinum for this game just a week or so after getting it (would've gotten it sooner had i not been working). It is the easiest platinum i have ever gotten and the sequel i got from the japan psn store is even more fun
It didn't take that long with me either, but some trophies were tedious, such as the art book or leveling up everyone's affinity. Plus I had to do it twice because I own both versions.

I had a lot of fun playing this on Vita. I never went back and grinded out all of the trophies for it, but this is definitely one of the best rhythm games I've ever played that did not require a non-standard controller. The extra features are mostly throwaway features to me (seriously, why do I need to go to Miku's room and poke her in the head?), but the AR mode was fun. I thought it was hilarious to have Miku in my kitchen smacking my refrigerator with leeks.

Edit: Good review!

I had a lot of fun playing this on Vita. I never went back and grinded out all of the trophies for it, but this is definitely one of the best rhythm games I've ever played that did not require a non-standard controller. The extra features are mostly throwaway features to me (seriously, why do I need to go to Miku's room and poke her in the head?), but the AR mode was fun. I thought it was hilarious to have Miku in my kitchen smacking my refrigerator with leeks.

Edit: Good review!

Yeah, the rhythm game is what you really go for in this game, though I'd be lying if I said I didn't have fun decorating the room thematically or watching the event cutscenes. Never really used the Photo mode other than to use the profile icons I use online (including this one) and I still can't figure out how to use the edit mode other than the notes and their layout. Still, some people do have a lot of fun with these features.

Thanks for the compliment. Makes me feel proud about making the review,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"