Bad Gamers Ep. 74 - E3 2014 Breakdown (Extended Edition)

stolenxnametag

PSLS Level: Kraken
PSLS Ambassador
Last week on Bad Gamers, @Dan Oravasaari, @Chandler Wood, and their special guest, @D'yani talked about everything that happened at E3. They had so much fun talking, that the podcast clocked in at a little bit over 2 hours. Good job, everyone, and thanks Dan and Chandler for suffering in the floor near that mechanical blizzard machine that called for the breath of Northrend as the fair maidens took their rest in comfort during Days 0 - 3 of E3 2014.

BG-E3-Edition.png

Day 0:
Day 0 was the big conference day, while Days 1-3 mostly involved the staff running back and forth to different booths at E3 to check out what a number of studios / publishers had setup to show to the press.

MS Conference
They didn't really make it to the conference on time, but later they looked online to see what it was that they missed. Standout features were:
- Sunset Overdrive?
- Tomb Raider games

Devs Listening to BG
Our Bad Gamers took a moment to honor the game developers who take the time to listen to BG every week, and noted that many of their concerns were addressed in press releases, tweets, and other random musings by devs. Coincidentally, these addresses tend to always come not shortly after Bad Gamers airs. In the spirit of this, our staff at PSLS demanded Battlefield Godzilla for PS4. On the other hand, I'm still looking forward to The Last of Us: Blood Dragon. Ubisoft and Naughty Dog need to get together and make this happen, or at least license all of their stuff to Santa Monica Studios and let them do it. I'll be waiting.

EA Conference
Chandler was given an EA invite at the last minute, but he should've given it to D'yani so she could watch The Sims 4 trailer. Chandler was annoyed at how they tried to play it safe with The Sims 4 ($70 for digital deluxe), Sports titles, and Battlefield: Hardline, though they did open up the Battlefield beta signups to the public during the conference, which was kind of cool. PSLS Staff have also badly declared that their souls are for sale, so you can inquire within the site.

Ubisoft
First things first - Aisha Tyler and Joel McHale are bad gamers. Aisha Tyler was incredibly excited about being herself, but showed that she didn't know her audience during the presentation at all.

The Just Dance performance to show off the new mobile / social features was okay, but they hated it. Dan and Chandler only liked the Assassin's Creed Unity dancers and The Division's dancers. They were suited up in period costumes, both French Revolution and post-modern, respectively.

The Kinect Fitness game for Xbox One was showed off, and they said it drug on forever. I thought it looked pretty cool, and I would totally buy it if I had an Xbox One.

Assassin's Creed Unity showcased a bitching UI of over 900 sentient beings at once, and you could pretty much jump, swing, climb, and roll everywhere. The AI seemed to realize when your character was around, and didn't act like generic NPCs as the demo was shown.

The Division's time-lapse trailer featuring the Snowdrop Engine was phenomenal when it came to reconstructing last few moments of an instance of the game's history. Not too much could be said about it at this point, except that it looked badass.

Sony
Before Sony's conference, Chandler was starstruck by Troy Baker, who was just as cool in-person as he is in character for all of the games he does. He made a quip about not being the next Nolan North since Nolan North is still Nolan North. Good one!

Sony talked a lot about a tv show that was going to be shown only on PlayStation, which is based on a comic book called Powers. Since this was a gaming convention, we really don't care, but it should be noted that PS Plus subscribers get to watch it for free.

A huge surprise announcement from the conference was LittleBigPlanet 3. Previously, we were told by MediaMolecule that they were not presenting at E3 2014, so nobody expected it. However, MediaMolecule have released the helm to Sumo Digital for development of this game. This game will be out during the holiday season this year with full backward compatibility! PSLS shitty levels - coming soon!

lbp3psls.png

Bloodborne is like dating a body builder; you have to give it all of your attention.

The Order: 1886 looked alright, but the huge amount of buzz is starting to make it harder and harder to live up to the hype. We're all becoming incredibly cautious on this one.

Dead Island 2's trailer was fucking awesome, so the hopes are that it ends up being a much better game than what the first game ended up being. Watch this fool get his kicks jack'd here:

Destiny is going to be launched with cold-white PS4. You decide the cold synonym.

Entwined was launched that day, and it was available via PS app. Pat your head, rub your stomach, combo dragon style!!

No Man's Sky was finally announced as a (maybe-timed) PS4 console exclusive!!!! It's going to have some procedurally-generated bastard monsters roaming across the universe, and is pretty much Spore done right. Oh, did we mention dinosaurs? Join the PSLS Marauders when it comes out, and D'yani is planting missile flowers on her planet to keep you off of her lawn.

The staff forgot to mention ABZÛ, but it's happening. At least me and @BigPete7978 were excited!

Uncharted 4: Sleeping Drakes should've been the name of the newest game in the series because the trailer was boring. Winter is coming.

PlayStation TV is the new branding for the Vita TV, and it's coming to the West for $99 this fall. Get ready to play your PS4 on two tv's at once and play Vita games on your tv. I know what I'm buying my friends for Christmas this year. ;)

Day 1:
I'm only going to be doing lists for the Days 1-3, and highlighting things that matter to me.

Activision
- COD: Advanced Warfare
- Destiny (see above)

EA
- Uber VIP vs VIP? WTF??
- The Sims 4
- Sports
- Titanfall
- Dragon Age: Inquisition had some advanced AI, but it felt like the graphics seemed sub-par, and everything felt really last-gen.
- Battlefield: Hardline

Konami (maybe Kojima Productions?)
Dan talked about MGSV: The Phantom Pain, and D'yani thought that a horse gets shot? The cardboard box is back and seriously useful with its new kinds of mechanics attached to it. It drops shit from Amazon and gives you camouflage, which doesn't work so well in real life (D’yani is a confirmed box lurker). The subtle puns from GZ aren’t as subtle in TPP. You can capture goats and use them. D’yani says that Metal Gear games are man soap operas, but this one sounds interesting to her. You can smoke e-cigars to waste in-game time and watch guard patterns. All of that sounds cool, even though I'm not a big fan of the franchise. Perhaps I'll watch some streams before diving in completely.

Nordic Games
Nordic Games didn't show anything about Darksiders, or any of the other properties that they inherited from THQ except for MX vs. ATV Supercross (SuperX?), which was cool for its lot of dirty particle effects. You can wear down some dirt as a mechanic for added strategy in the game. They're making it for PS3 and Xbox 360, but we don’t know about current gen consoles as of now.

The Bethesda Party
- Chandler got mad drunk and flailed around like a Nintendo character. :D

APC Transport

- SOUNDS FUCKING AWESOME!!!
- There might be a commercial floating around in the future featuring the PSLS crew for Call of Duty or something.

Day 2:

Sony Online Entertainment
- H1Z1; Coming to PS4 maybe, but not officially announced or in development yet? There will be a paid early-access beta, but the game itself will be free.
- Planetside 2; runs awesome, looks awesome, and is awesome (according to Dan).

2k Games
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel takes place on the moon of Pandora, so you can do MOOOONN JUMMMMPINGGG! No word on moon cheese yet, but I’m scouring the Internet for that. New weapons, weapon types, ice, etc.

Borderlands-pre-sequel-preview.png

- Evolve; missed it, triple unfortunately.

Deep Silver
- Homefront: Revolution; you can blow shit up with a remote control car carrying C4 (maybe like the rc car mission in Duke Nukem Forever?), but that was it. Still an early build, so not much to see there.
- Dead Island 2 (see above)
- Metro: Redux was playable, but it was a new old Metro. Again, nothing new but shinies.

Techland
Dying Light. If you like zombies and parkouring and FPS, then please check out Dying Light. This game seems to have much better combat than most other games in the genre, and the collateral damage is done right.

ExtraLife
Chandler and D’yani visited the founder and interviewed him about the charity, which allows gamers to raise money for kids. He was really interested in changing gamer stereotypes and demonstrating their passionate and selflessness as affluent donators.

Gaijin Entertainment

- War Thunder VR. Dan played it on Oculus Rift. Dan was the only one who could properly land it at the show. Everyone else sucked.

Sony
Chandler did an interview with Brohei Broshida (formerly known as Shuhei Yoshida prior to E3). You can read more about that here. I'm super jealous, and I think it would be a lot of fun to hang out with him for a day, or like 10 minutes. That would be cool, too.

Watch the interview and cover the right side of the screen. It’ll appear that the Glacier White PS4 w/ a hand is doing the interview with Brohei.

Day 3

Ubisoft
-Far Cry 4; they got to play with elephants and it felt pachydermic. You can play a limited co-op mode with actually owning the game.
- Rainbox 6: Siege; they missed it because there was a separate booking for it. Dan began to ragequit after that.

nDreams
- The Assembly is a Project Morpheus game for PS4, and was Chandler’s first VR experience. It’s a click adventure where you go to pick things up, but that’s just the early build. Dan says they’re looking forward to adding more stuff to it.
- D’yani wants The Sims on Morpheus, and I have to agree. It would be like living in real life, but with money cheats!

TellTale Games
Tales from the Borderlands; they’re taking the Borderlands universe and expanding it through an all-new story that adds more to the universe instead of re-skinning The Walking Dead or The Wolf Among Us with Borderlands stuff.

So did I miss anything?

Last edited:
soulforsale-295x300.jpg

You forgot the beer. =). But you did a great job recapping everything! How long did that take?

Then the recap will be easier! I'll already know what to write (kind of) beforehand.
Just write as we talk! Hahah Dan and I will talk when we record today and we'll get with you about having you on sometime soon. We usually record Tuesday evenings, so we'll have to find a time that works for you.

Just write as we talk! Hahah Dan and I will talk when we record today and we'll get with you about having you on sometime soon. We usually record Tuesday evenings, so we'll have to find a time that works for you.
I'll be practicing my Bobcat Goldthwait character impression. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"