Ben Affleck: Best Batman, or best Batman?

cigarley

PSLS Level: Silver
Alright, maybe it's too soon to tell... but I had to get your attention somehow, right? But to be honest, I've really put a lot of thought into the subject and I feel like Ben Affleck is really the best physical representation of Batman that we've gotten so far. At 6'4", he's the tallest Batman to date, and it doesn't hurt that he's the first Batman to actually have a cleft chin (seriously, look up "cleft chin" on Google and Ben Affleck is the first image that will pop up)... not to mention that Ben's wife reports that he's bulked up for the role and is currently sporting 17" biceps. All of these factors compound into the realization that Baffleck is the most imposing Batman to date, and I defy you to look at the picture below and disagree with me.

bats.jpg

I'm really liking the suit so far, most contemporary Batmen have the same problem where they look like they're wearing ceramic padding but this suit looks a lot more pliable. Everything from the cowl to the texture looks amazing, it's pretty much everything I ever wanted to see in a live-action Batsuit (except for the glowing eyes, but of course that would be very implausible). Not to mention that most of the design of the suit (right down to the Fat Bat emblem) is influenced by Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns", which has the fanboy in me internally squealing like a schoolgirl.

At any rate, these are just my observations based on Affleck himself and the recently revealed picture. For all I know the movie might turn out to be underwhelming (let's face it, Zack Snyder is always a gamble) or Affleck might turn in a terrible performance. But after seeing Ben Affleck really come into his own over the last few years as a decent actor and a fantastic director, I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and believe that he's learned a lot about subtlety. I think the "Daredevil" comparison doesn't really hold any water because that was a bad movie in general and it's been a decade since then. If Chris Evans was able to turn his bland Human Torch into a compelling Captain America, Affleck should deserve the same chance.

I will never second guess a performer again in a Batman movie. Heath Ledger still to this date is one of my favorite performances ever of a villain. His Joker was beyond perfect. So I will wait until I get more info on Ben Affleck as Batman before I pass judgement. All it took for me to be sold on Ledger as Joker was during one of the trailers when I heard the laugh of Joker.

I think I'd actually heard some rumors about Affleck as the next Batman a while ago, but never really kept on top of any developments for the next film. My dad (a Batman fan since the early days, comics and all) posted that pic above earlier today, which reminded me about it. I can't say I have anything to say about Affleck as an actor, one way or the other, but I think most people agree that Bale was a great Bruce Wayne, but fell a bit short for a Batman, which makes me curious about how Affleck will fare on both sides of the character.

I was never really that big into Batman, until the Nolan films came along, so it's a shame to see the departure of Nolan and Bale, but I think they definitely established a high bar for others to meet, which hopefully means any future Batman projects will try to deliver the goods more than some (many?) past films did. I'm not super-hyped about this, being almost completely unfamiliar with anyone involved in the project, but I'm willing to keep an optimistic and curious outlook on this. Will have to keep an eye out for further developments.

I don't see it, and sadly I don't have high hopes for it.

View attachment 629

This right here... I think this is a terrible casting choice and I am really tired of seeing people being double casted for different super hero roles. They did it with Ryan Reynolds, The guy who plays Captain America, and now they are going to do it with Ben Crapleck.

I think of ben afleck and then i think of batman and all that can come to mind is............ LMAO
I just can't picture it and keep a straight face.

That movie had a shitty writing though. Nobody could save that flaming pile of shit. Watch him in movies like The Town and tell me he can't act.
I can't get over how amazing Argo was, either. "Argofuck yourself!"

Bale was a great Bruce Wayne, but fell a bit short for a Batman
I've made this distinction before, as have many comic book fans. I really don't know how they let Bale get away with that fucking voice in the second and third movies when it was barely even present in the first.

"Good X, but bad Y" is a strange complaint, one almost exclusive to comic book movies. I still think Hulk is one of the weirdest ones, like saying Norton seems like a better fit for the Banner character, but Ruffalo's Banner in Avengers had far better writing behind it.

I've made this distinction before, as have many comic book fans. I really don't know how they let Bale get away with that fucking voice in the second and third movies when it was barely even present in the first.

"Good X, but bad Y" is a strange complaint, one almost exclusive to comic book movies. I still think Hulk is one of the weirdest ones, like saying Norton seems like a better fit for the Banner character, but Ruffalo's Banner in Avengers had far better writing behind it.

I disgaree on the argument that Bale made a bad batman. Yes his voice when Batman took some getting used to, but it was hardly that bad.

I disgaree on the argument that Bale made a bad batman. Yes his voice when Batman took some getting used to, but it was hardly that bad.
I should mention that the voice wasn't my biggest gripe, although it definitely is the easiest complaint to make. I just think that a trilogy based on the world's greatest detective should include some actual detective work. But that's both the appeal and the problem of the Nolan films, none of the characters seem to behave like the source material incarnations after Batman Begins.

I should mention that the voice wasn't my biggest gripe, although it definitely is the easiest complaint to make. I just think that a trilogy based on the world's greatest detective should include some actual detective work. But that's both the appeal and the problem of the Nolan films, none of the characters seem to behave like the source material incarnations after Batman Begins.
I'm thinking a Batman Arkham movie series would be in order!

Well I do agree that there should have been a bit more detective aspects to it, but that is a problem on the Director and not Bale. I do however think the series greatly improved over Batman Begins, which I can't force myself to watch again. I think the one thing that really hurt this series was the enemy casts. Outside of the Joker, you had boring enemies in the first movie and while I like Bane, I think the enemy choices in the 3rd movie were rather weak.

A couple of things my dad posted for this earlier:

Movie seems to officially be Batman vs. Superman.
Zqn5WS2.jpg

And a tidbit (supposedly) from Affleck himself:
zCuZuFB.jpg

A couple of things my dad posted for this earlier:

Movie seems to officially be Batman vs. Superman.
Zqn5WS2.jpg

And a tidbit (supposedly) from Affleck himself:
zCuZuFB.jpg
I was already not planning on seeing it but the whole Batman vs. Superman thing further cemented my distaste for it.. Fuck this movie right here and now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enzo0
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"