Best Gaming Laptop?

BigPete7978

PSLS Level: Silver
I was just wondering what the best gaming laptop there is out there. I have my Macbook Air and it works fine, but have been thinking about getting a gaming laptop for in the future. Granted, I am just doing research now, but am curious as to what is considered the top brand in gaming laptops. Would it be Alienware or Razer?

I just worry about with laptops used for gaming that the fans will kick into high gear and you basically have the sound of a hair dryer coming from your laptop.

I used to play games on an old Sony VAIO. Truth be told, unless you're looking to play games on Ultra settings you can generally go with a medium to high end laptop rather than an often overpriced 'gaming' laptop from the likes of Razer or Alienware.

I used to play games on an old Sony VAIO. Truth be told, unless you're looking to play games on Ultra settings you can generally go with a medium to high end laptop rather than an often overpriced 'gaming' laptop from the likes of Razer or Alienware.
Yes but how loud does the fan get? I currently only have a Macbook Air with Windows installed via Bootcamp, and the fan kicks into high gear as soon as I load into games.

Yes but how loud does the fan get? I currently only have a Macbook Air with Windows installed via Bootcamp, and the fan kicks into high gear as soon as I load into games.
It would run somewhat loud, but you kind of have to expect that from a laptop. A 'gaming' laptop is probably going to be even louder. More powerful components output more heat, which requires a larger and often louder fan to maintain a suitable temperature.

What game(s) caused your fan instantly jumping to top gear in? It's becoming more and more common for games to have an unlocked frame rate, which could easily cause your fan to jump into high. Check that you have it locked to 60, or even 30.

It would run somewhat loud, but you kind of have to expect that from a laptop. A 'gaming' laptop is probably going to be even louder. More powerful components output more heat, which requires a larger and often louder fan to maintain a suitable temperature.

What game(s) caused your fan instantly jumping to top gear in? It's becoming more and more common for games to have an unlocked frame rate, which could easily cause your fan to jump into high. Check that you have it locked to 60, or even 30.
I've even had the fan kick into high gear on YouTube videos. I've had the Macbook Air since 2012 or so.

I've even had the fan kick into high gear on YouTube videos. I've had the Macbook Air since 2012 or so.
Damn dude!!! My fan never even makes a noise during every day use. It just sits there blowing out cold air onto my leg. You can hear it when gaming but it isn't that loud to be honest. Every console I have owned in the last decade has done the same thing.

Damn dude!!! My fan never even makes a noise during every day use. It just sits there blowing out cold air onto my leg. You can hear it when gaming but it isn't that loud to be honest. Every console I have owned in the last decade has done the same thing.
Yeah I know. My MacBook Pro was completely different. Never heard the thing. So maybe it's just the MacBook Air.

I bought my wife a Dell XPS for Christmas last year. Her old laptop had compatibility issues with some of The Sims 3 expansions because of her integrated graphics. The one I got her kind of costs a lot, but it has a small (maybe 250gb?) SSD, Intel Core i7 (not sure what speed, but it's a quad core processor), 3 gb gddr5 dedicated graphics card, and 16 gb ram. She doesn't play anything heavier than The Sims, but with The Sims 4 coming out next week I'm hoping they'll actually have support for 64-bit platforms this time.

As far as the fan goes, that thing never makes any noise. It's thin and runs everything smoothly. She had fun learning to use Windows 8 with the touchscreen, but I would totally recommend it for people not trying to run everything on Ultra settings. Again, the only issue is cost. It was maybe $1200 when I got it last year? I elected to purchase one without a cd/dvd/bd drive since she could download all of her registered games / expansions from the Origin store, so that probably helped to shave the cost and heat.

I was just wondering what the best gaming laptop there is out there. I have my Macbook Air and it works fine, but have been thinking about getting a gaming laptop for in the future. Granted, I am just doing research now, but am curious as to what is considered the top brand in gaming laptops. Would it be Alienware or Razer?

The problem with macs is a game won't work on it unless there is a mac version

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"