Cheap HDDs for upgrading PS3/4

I was at Best Buy yesterday looking at HDDs, actually. I have a 1tb Seagate SSHD in both my PS3 and PS4, and I am considering a performance upgrade for my laptop at the moment. I can't justify buying an actual SSD, but the 1tb SSHDs are like $100 at my local store. I just wish I could buy one at a larger capacity.

I was at Best Buy yesterday looking at HDDs, actually. I have a 1tb Seagate SSHD in both my PS3 and PS4, and I am considering a performance upgrade for my laptop at the moment. I can't justify buying an actual SSD, but the 1tb SSHDs are like $100 at my local store. I just wish I could buy one at a larger capacity.
You mean the hybrid drives?

From what I've heard the Hybrid drive in the consoles are minimal performance boosts.

Tom's Hardware did a write up about 9 months ago about drives.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ps4-hard-drive-upgrade,3695-4.html

I would personally (based on this information) give up on trying to get load times as fast as possible, and instead just invest in the 2TB drive for the PS4, take the 1TB Hybrid SSHD you have in the PS4, throw that into your laptop.

With an SSD the fastest times you seem to get on the PS4 tend to be a matter of 5-10 seconds from title screen to game. It's just not worth it. Capacity for PS4, hybrid for laptop. SSD for your actual computer.

You mean the hybrid drives?

From what I've heard the Hybrid drive in the consoles are minimal performance boosts.
Agreed. The SSHD's performance comes from time investment in the product. For first impressions, it does barely anything.
We can actually make a case for Seagate's 1 TB SSHD, though. At $120, the drive is affordable. It also delivers somewhat SSD-like performance, even as it doubles the console's stock capacity. In many cases, the speed-up you get will be difficult to feel. But at least you can fit a lot more content onto the SSHD without sinking a ton of cash in an upgrade.
Seagate's hybrid drive works buy caching the most used data onto the 8gb of flash memory for faster load times. If you buy a digital time-sucker (Skyrim for PS3 comes to mind), then load times become less bothersome while you still have the added space you wanted to have. It isn't a PC, so I don't expect theoretical transfer speeds of 6gbps or anything like that. It's just a small investment with a short premium. :D

Agreed. The SSHD's performance comes from time investment in the product. For first impressions, it does barely anything.

Seagate's hybrid drive works buy caching the most used data onto the 8gb of flash memory for faster load times. If you buy a digital time-sucker (Skyrim for PS3 comes to mind), then load times become less bothersome while you still have the added space you wanted to have. It isn't a PC, so I don't expect theoretical transfer speeds of 6gbps or anything like that. It's just a small investment with a short premium. :D
Yeah but that's based off of what you do a lot. The console will boot up faster, but If you play Battlefield that 8GB isn't going to do much, and if you play a different game every day of the week it's not going to do much.

It's not like on a PC where the O.S. has to boot up, and your chats have to boot up, and drop box, and everything is much faster. Granted I actually have a 250GB SSD...

Final Fantasy XIV on the PS3 actually recommends an SSD. XD

If someone only wanted to play like 10 games, and they were all open world games on the PS3 with an SSD I would recommend getting the SSD. You know Skyrim and that one gun game with open world stuff where you can jump over benches and had really good A.I. allegedly. I forget what it's called. That was did wonders on SSDs.

But I really honestly think a 2TB HDD is better in the long run than an SSHD. I think the load times are just so negligible in the long run because I don't think you boot up most games often enough and small enough to see much performance boost.

In Infamous they capped your speed at the pace of pop in which made pop in way less noticable.

All of this talk got me thinking about upgrading the HDD in my laptop. I can't justify the cost of a 500gb+ SSD, and I need at least 300gb for all of my stuff. My laptop supports SATA III, but it's running a 5400rpm SATA II HDD. I guess you know what that means... :D

All of this talk got me thinking about upgrading the HDD in my laptop. I can't justify the cost of a 500gb+ SSD, and I need at least 300gb for all of my stuff. My laptop supports SATA III, but it's running a 5400rpm SATA II HDD. I guess you know what that means... :D
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-500GB...c&ie=UTF8&qid=1420850310&sr=1-23&keywords=ssd

Grab it used for $380 or just grab an SSHD.

The price is actually reasonable at that point. Well compartively. Those drives used to be over 1k. Now they're sub $500. How bad a condition can a used SSD be in anyway as long as there wasn't a power spike or used for a server. XD

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"