Did this e3 sealed the deal for the vita?

chichi

PSLS Level: Bronze
I was hoping for the Vita/Sony to make a big announcement (FF Type-0)... any kind of announcement to pick up pace and sooner or later get on the path that made the PSP great, but Sony made sure to highlight how Vita is firstly a gadget, then, maybe...just maybe, a console.

"Vita is a very neat thing that everyone appreciate for Remote Play, so we're bringing Vita TV to the west! It does PS Now (only if you are a proud US citizen, that is)! It does Remote Play! and also play like a 100 games... i guess???" And that was it. A handful of remakes/indies announced, and please go and buy a PS4 if you haven't already.

A lot of the frustration comes from the idea that Sony hasn't tried to save Vita. There's no original God of War or Ratchet & Clank. Yes we have Drake and Kat and then what? There's nothing. Sony lost a lot more money on PS3 but they tried and successfully turned that thing around into making a healthy ecosystem. They haven't tried anything (western exclusives) with Vita. 3rd party support is almost nowhere to be found (except for Child of Light).
And as what @Borshay said, "they gave up once December 2012's sales rolled in", but are too chicken to admit it. Sega at least had the balls to say that they flopped and they were done with consoles.

Last edited:
I honestly think it's going to be a bit of a bloodbath at Gamecom. I doubt we'll see a title from SCEE's studios there. They tried with LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, Killzone, Tearaway but I just don't see them putting effort towards it anymore.

The question is, will SCEJ announce anything new? Gravity Rush 2 teaser didn't have a platform listed if I recall.

I honestly think it's going to be a bit of a bloodbath at Gamecom. I doubt we'll see a title from SCEE's studios there. They tried with LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, Killzone, Tearaway but I just don't see them putting effort towards it anymore.

The question is, will SCEJ announce anything new? Gravity Rush 2 teaser didn't have a platform listed if I recall.

if SCEJ doesn't announce anything at gamescon then i guess that will be a big nail to the coffin for vita.

That's really unfortunate as I was looking to get one, guess I'll hold off for awhile if not indefinitly.

That's really unfortunate as I was looking to get one, guess I'll hold off for awhile if not indefinitly.
If you really like the more niche Japanese titles and Indie games it is worth the investment.
Here is a list I've put together of every game that's yet to release this year. A little ways down is the games that have already released.

Keep an eye out for deals, I've heard of people getting them for as low as $100. However IF you ever do decide to get one, a memory card is a MUST

See, that's one of the reasons I'm holding off cause I'm really not into those said niche titles, I do find some of the indie titles and a select few JRPGs interesting but seems the vast majority not so much.

It won't be getting a full price drop for awhile. Sony is selling at a profit and its probably the biggest reason it hasn't been 'Dreamcasted' yet.

They did say that there are over 100 games in development for Vita if that means anything to you.

Not really, I have over 100 titles in my list alone. That doesn't count some of the early releases next year like Disney Infinity 2.0 or some of the Kickstarter indie games that have been funded.

There are games that I'm going to love a lot coming out, SAO, Disgaea 4 (fuck buying all that DLC seperate), Akiba'S trip, DANGANRONPA 2!! But when the platform holder is pulling this shit, and when it's sales are not good. Support is going run away from the thing. People are going to stop buying games and the Vita's bitchin' attach rate is going to drop. Which will end up hurting the indie support eventually.

I may be wrong but isn't Oreshika the only NEW announced title from SCE for the PS Vita this year? Not a qHD collection or a game finally getting released this year (Freedom Wars/SS Delta). A brand new game for the future.

(Fake Edit: From what I found Oreshika was, in fact, announced prior to 2014).

Last edited:
I saw this coming. They've been announcing Vita games and localizations for weeks leading up to E3, so I knew they would primarily focus on PS4 as a result. The Type-0 announcement was complete bullshit, though.

I saw this coming. They've been announcing Vita games and localizations for weeks leading up to E3, so I knew they would primarily focus on PS4 as a result. The Type-0 announcement was complete bullshit, though.
I don't personally care too much about few game announcements, its more that they didn't show the games they do have. Yay Tales of Hearts got a mention, um how about show a fucking trailer and show that fucking TV show off at Comic-Con. You know the market who is the primary target for the fucking thing.

I still can't believe Sony actually said these words:
"We’ve taken a more holistic view with our platforms. With Remote Play, Vita has now essentially become an extender or an enhancer for the main platform for other rooms in the house, or when someone else wants to use the main screen," says House, claiming that Sony is also hoping to market it to younger players in the future.

Then why aren't you selling it next to the fucking camera and controller? No, they have it in the game console section, because thats what it is.

Nothing here is surprising. The day the Vita is officially shut down, it will have started on E3 2012. Fucking Wonderbook, which I still think has had more air time at E3 2012 then the Vita's E3s 2012-2014 combined.

Sony chose to take no risk nor attempted to launch a competitive handheld gaming device.

I don't personally care too much about few game announcements, its more that they didn't show the games they do have. Yay Tales of Hearts got a mention, um how about show a fucking trailer and show that fucking TV show off at Comic-Con. You know the market who is the primary target for the fucking thing.

You might be right. They could have spent more time on Vita during the conference. But they will inevitably show off a lot on the show floor this week. Nintendo only mentioned 3DS during their digital event once, and it was to say Super Smash Bros is getting delayed for it. At this point, it's not going to set records, but it's sitting at, I'm guessing, 10 million worldwide units, which isn't great but isn't bad. The Borderlands 2 bundle sold out, so there is interest in the thing. If games aren't selling it, and no big western third party support, then maybe the "controller for your PS4 you can use on the go" approach is what they need to do. Whatever works at this point, right?

The Vita sales hit an all time low during the stretch Sony was pushing remote play the most (early this year) yet when Borderlands 2 came out sales spiked.

The Vita has 3 large problems, 1) Marketing; its been a problem for 3 years. 2) SCEA support; Uncharted was awesome... where is the follow up that is an improvement and give fans multiplayer?, 3) Memory Cards; <<< Memory Cards!!!

Vita has been praised many times for having a high attach rate. Meaning if you release a game, expect it to sell well for the install base that it has.

In a few days we'll have the numbers for the Vita in May, in April & March it was doing 10,000 units a month which is terrible. Supporting a platform is also showing your developers confidence in your product. When SCE is running from it scared, they will follow. Ubisoft publicly said they were happy with AC Liberation, yet we never got a follow up.

When Monster Hunter fell through, SCEJ said we have to get a replacement, they made Soul Sacrifice and Delta, plus Freedom Wars. People have been loving Toukiden. Once the chance at getting Titanfall on Vita fell apart, SCEA should have started funding these multiplayer shooters and action adventure titles. We have not seen 1 single follow up title from SCE's western studios, thats not a show of confidence.

Look at the Wii U and what Nintendo is doing with it. Both the Wii U and Vita were considered dying consoles and look at the difference now. Nintendo advertised the shit out of Mario Kart and they had a massive increase in sales.

Compared to Nintendo, look at what Sony is doing. No wonder the Vita looks like its dying. Hell they're even releasing the Vita TV under the name PSTV, rather than Vita

No one seems to realize March and April Vita numbers are low because they discontinued the 1000 model for the Slim. Store stock was all the available stock at the time. We will see how well Borderlands 2 ultimately did. If third parties see it did pretty good, and all of a sudden there are 1 million new units out there, then maybe they will support it. Memory card prices are a moot point now, they won't be changing much in the future. The best you will ever get is a bundled in 16gb card. Yes, marketing is the big hole here. But the catch-22 here is.. what are they going to advertise? Tales of Hearts R? Senran Kagura? Danganronpa or Disgaea? Gravity Rush 2 seems to be the kind of title that would warrant an televised advertisement campaign. Or some huge, third party game like a GTA Stories. But that kind of game needs to happen first.

Until then, like you mentioned, the attach rate is high for the console, and I can only imagine every Vita sold is guaranteed profit between the hardware being profitable and inevitable software sales, or as an accessory now, but they don't have a Mario Kart 8 to advertise as the huge game that can push consoles.

Vita also needs to stop with the console ports, they need to get busy with some really good vita exclusives, and i just don't see that happening in the west.

Vita also needs to stop with the console ports, they need to get busy with some really good vita exclusives, and i just don't see that happening in the west.

another thing i'm worried about is what will happen to sony's other gaming devices in the future. They're corroding the confidence of their fans on how they support their system. People are going to be very skeptical of any future handheld console they release (not to mention other hardware like their VR headset, which they could also just stop supporting if it doesn't sell well quickly).
They could get stuck in a shitty chicken/egg situation of: people not buying the console because of lack of games/ developers not wanting to make games for it because not enough people have bought the console/device.

another thing i'm worried about is what will happen to sony's other gaming devices in the future. They're corroding the confidence of their fans on how they support their system. People are going to be very skeptical of any future handheld console they release (not to mention other hardware like their VR headset, which they could also just stop supporting if it doesn't sell well quickly).
They could get stuck in a shitty chicken/egg situation of: people not buying the console because of lack of games/ developers not wanting to make games for it because not enough people have bought the console/device.

If they were gonna half ass the vita, then they should've just stuck with the psp At least that sold. the vita is more or less heading down the same path as the psp go, which went south.

Last edited:
If they were gonna half ass the vita, then they should've just stuck with the psp At least that sold. the vita is more or less heading down the same path as the ps go, which went south.
I bought a PSPgo. *sigh*

I truly think the headset is a waste. It's another gimmick to me. PS Move is another example of wasted accessories for their consoles.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"