The Vita Gaming Days are OVER!

That works if you like indie games. For me, indie games are boring and lose my interest so quickly..
That's a shame, there is such variety across the indie game scene. I absolutely love what is being released. Plus most release for $15 or less so its not so hard on the wallet.

People (including myself, an avid Vita fan), have been predicting the death of Vita for over a year now, and the roster keeps getting better.

If you see it not as what we thought it was gonna be (or what was promised to us), but as what it is and can be, the Vita is not only fantastic, but a great candidate for a legacy device as well.

Fact of the matter is, right now it may be easy to have both PS3/PS4 and a Vita, but the time will come when that won't be a reality.

Then, all the games that are cross-compatible will be played, I think, on Vita more than on home consoles (much like the GB and GBA are getting much more play time than NES and SNES).

Another thing that is interesting is that that announcement named "first-party games" support. And being honest, that was never the strong point of the Vita anyway.

Third party, medium sized developers are the life and soul of the Vita, with indies a close second. And to be quite honest, aside from a couple of exceptions (a new God of War, a new Uncharted), I really don't miss the AAA+ titles on my Vita. Simply because they appeal to a type of gamer different than myself.

I don't like multiplayer, and that's where the AAA+ bucks are going these days.

So, all in all, the Vita, if anything, is living far beyond the expectations of the industry and the market from a year ago.

And for me, as a recent(ish) adopter, I could not be happier with my device (been about 6 months).

My problem with the Vita has nothing to do about selection - I have a large Vita backlog. I have PS+ to back up my saves, so having a 16GB memory card that cost way too much isn't a problem for me either. I'm not even mad that remote play sucks for PS3 since the PS4 remote is good. I only have three problems with my Vita:

1. No ad hoc party app. This was on PSP, and it should have been made for Vita as well. I have Dynasty Warriors Next, and the online trophies are only obtainable by playing DW: Next on ad hoc with someone nearby. I have 2 friends with Vitas. Both of them live several hours away from me, and only one of them has DW: Next. At 26 years old, I don't foresee me looking for people on near who will play Dynasty Warriors with me.

2. PS Mobile is too complicated. When I go to the PSN store to by a game, I want to have it on my desktop ready to play. I shouldn't have to download extra BS to play the game, I should just buy the game and start playing.

3. WiFi is slow. I have a 70mbps cable connection at my house, and the router allows my smartphone to download 40-60mbps (I tested it with the Speedtest app). With this in mind, it should not take over an hour to download a large game. In 2014, I don't have time to babysit my Vita while it spends forever trying to get the digital copy of one of the 5 or 6 AAA titles on the platform.

If Internet rumors are true and PS Now allows us to stream our PSN purchases, then my Vita is going to be doing great for the rest of its lifetime. However, I think it still has some firmware issues that need to be addressed.

I completely understand your points. Having said that, I don't really share them, haha.

The cards, while expensive, I think are somewhat worth it. A Micro-SD card will konk out for sure. It has happened to me with brand-name MicroSD cards a lot on my PSP (with adapter) and my camcorder.

But I have a trillion-years-old Memory Stick from Sony that works great, so I didn't really think twice about pulling the trigger on the 32gb card. I like the reliability and convenience.

As for your points, I don't like playing with other people (except my GF who doesn't own a Vita, and Pokemon on the 3DS), so Ad hoc is not a problem for me. Don't care about trophies either.

PS Mobile is a fair point, but everything is so small, by the time I finish watching a Youtube video it's all ready to go.

As for the Wi-Fi, I agree it's too slow. That said, it might be to prevent errors, much like burning CDs at a slow speed will guarantee that they are not corrupt. I don't mind waiting 20min for a game that will give me 15hs of game play.

But! Like I said before, I love my Vita because it caters very specifically to my tastes as a gamer, which in most cases, go against the grain of the industry.

The cards, while expensive, I think are somewhat worth it.
PS Plus cloud storage made me not care so much about the cards.

As for your points, I don't like playing with other people (except my GF who doesn't own a Vita, and Pokemon on the 3DS), so Ad hoc is not a problem for me.
AdHoc Party is a PS3 app that allows PSP players to play ad hoc games online. Some games, such as Dynasty Warriors Next, do not allow for online multiplayer. They only allow you to connect with someone in your vicinity (ad hoc). Making an AdHoc Party app for PS3 / PS4 that connects to Vita would help this problem.

PS Mobile is a fair point, but everything is so small, by the time I finish watching a Youtube video it's all ready to go.
I expect better planning / coding from Sony. :D

As for the Wi-Fi, I agree it's too slow. That said, it might be to prevent errors, much like burning CDs at a slow speed will guarantee that they are not corrupt. I don't mind waiting 20min for a game that will give me 15hs of game play.
I don't buy that at all. If I can have WiFi download speeds of ~40-50mbps on a smartphone (and I do), then the Vita should be able to do at least 5mpbs. Honestly, it should be able to do 20mbps, but I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for 5mbps.

But! Like I said before, I love my Vita because it caters very specifically to my tastes as a gamer...
Yes! I agree with this wholly. Unfortunately, it doesn't cater to the tastes of the general public, so people like us are really the only ones who care about what it has to offer. It's a double-edged sword.

No denying that it's a double-edge sword! If anything, I wish the Vita didn't cater to me so fully, haha. I can't be a one man army that allows development for Vita games.

It definitely needs a more mainstream appeal. However, I think it's a bit late in its life cycle to do much about customer acquisition (although it's really picking up sales, specially in Japan).

I don't know... I wish I knew how to solve the Vita's problem, but I don't.

That said, what are the figures for Killzone Mercenary? Does anyone know? Because if my memory serves me right, that was about the last AAA+ we saw for the Vita. I'm curious to see if it made money, thereby encouraging further AAA+ Vita development (or not).

Agreed. I am abusing my PS+ cloud. Allows me to get away with using a couple of 8gb cards and the original 4gb. Would love to get a 32gb on sale, but even those prices are semi-ridiculous.

I buy a lot of digital games and prefer to have them all at all times. So it's more a matter of convenience, I think. But I don't regret the purchase. At the end of the day, it's the price of a game and a half, maybe two?

Expensive? Yeah. But for me, it was worth it.

That said, what are the figures for Killzone Mercenary? Does anyone know? Because if my memory serves me right, that was about the last AAA+ we saw for the Vita. I'm curious to see if it made money, thereby encouraging further AAA+ Vita development (or not).

Well from recent comments made, it looks like it didn't do very well and underperformed. Which is a shame, I thought Mercenary was by far, a much superior game than Shadow Fall.

The Vita sure has a lot of varied and interesting games, which apparently the general gaming public doesn't care for. The Vita is also my primarily platform for pinball gaming, so I'm never going to stop using the handheld anytime soon, along with those aforementioned 'varied and interesting games.' I honestly think it has a more diverse library than the 3DS with some genres that are just absent on that handheld. I'm lucky to have both handhelds :3

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oompa08
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"