Facebook acquires Oculus Rift

Is this a good thing or bad thing

• Awesome news. Just what the industry needed.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • This is a nail in the coffin for VR. Facebook will ruin the best hope we had and no one will care.

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

PolarBearTC

PSLS Level: Newbie
Facebook buys Oculus VR for $2 Billion. A week after GDC and Sony's announcement of Project Morpheus, Virtual Reality gets another huge boost in publicity with the very big news that you will soon be able to play Farmville in virtual reality.

Press Release
http://newsroom.fb.com/news/2014/03/facebook-to-acquire-oculus/

oculus-team-photo_530.jpg

Oculus VR Team (courtesy of Polygon)

Comments from Mark Zuckerberg
I'm excited to announce that we've agreed to acquire Oculus VR, the leader in virtual reality technology.

Our mission is to make the world more open and connected. For the past few years, this has mostly meant building mobile apps that help you share with the people you care about. We have a lot more to do on mobile, but at this point we feel we're in a position where we can start focusing on what platforms will come next to enable even more useful, entertaining and personal experiences.

This is where Oculus comes in. They build virtual reality technology, like the Oculus Rift headset. When you put it on, you enter a completely immersive computer-generated environment, like a game or a movie scene or a place far away. The incredible thing about the technology is that you feel like you're actually present in another place with other people. People who try it say it's different from anything they've ever experienced in their lives.

Oculus's mission is to enable you to experience the impossible. Their technology opens up the possibility of completely new kinds of experiences.

Immersive gaming will be the first, and Oculus already has big plans here that won't be changing and we hope to accelerate. The Rift is highly anticipated by the gaming community, and there's a lot of interest from developers in building for this platform. We're going to focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games. Oculus will continue operating independently within Facebook to achieve this.

But this is just the start. After games, we're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences. Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face — just by putting on goggles in your home.

This is really a new communication platform. By feeling truly present, you can share unbounded spaces and experiences with the people in your life. Imagine sharing not just moments with your friends online, but entire experiences and adventures.

These are just some of the potential uses. By working with developers and partners across the industry, together we can build many more. One day, we believe this kind of immersive, augmented reality will become a part of daily life for billions of people.

Virtual reality was once the dream of science fiction. But the internet was also once a dream, and so were computers and smartphones. The future is coming and we have a chance to build it together. I can't wait to start working with the whole team at Oculus to bring this future to the world, and to unlock new worlds for all of us.

So what, will we get to virtually post messages to our timeline through the matrix? I think FB will ruin this and I don't see the point in the purchase.

Wow did not see this one coming. Wondering how they will use the purchase. Should be interesting. Granted I don't play a lot of Facebook games, I'm still curious what they will do with their purchase.

Doesn't have to be "Facebook" games, but as a service and platform, Facebook will definitely help get it into the mainstream. Not that the two groups (Facebook gamers and OVR gamers) overlap too much....

I don't see Oculus Rift really working too well. Too much variability on PCs.

Consoles will do it way better. The hardware is standard so you don't have to worry about someone using an i3 or an i5 or an i7 or a bulldozer, or an outdated i7 with less hyperthreading capabilities etc.

plus the Project Morpheus uses the camera for motion input. I hear that Oculus rift has a slight delay and they keep releasing updated hardware while people are developing for it, and it's messing up development by trying to keep cramming in all the new features asap. I also hear it craps out when you try and do 360 degrees and the tech demos aren't ready for primetime.

Meanwhile Sony has stuff peopel already want to buy as a demo, they say it works basically flawless, and it starts messing with their ability to differentiate the experience from reality.

So I"m voting for option 3. Sony will do it better.

I think the Oculus Rift will actually benefit from Facebook taking over. I dont' think they can do any worse to it. They dont' have a solid vision, they aren't following through, and they don't have the money for the proper development of software. Facebook can do all of that.

So what, will we get to virtually post messages to our timeline through the matrix? I think FB will ruin this and I don't see the point in the purchase.
The point is Mark Zuckerberg is a geeky kid, who has billions. That's the point. I mean we're talking about the same guy who thinks in billions, and threw 17 billion at a messaging app that's never made any money with a company of 50 employees.

I think facebook will ruin the Oculus, not VR itself. Now I'm looking to Sony more than ever to pioneer this advancement in the gaming sector.

I think facebook will ruin the Oculus, not VR itself. Now I'm looking to Sony more than ever to pioneer this advancement in the gaming sector.
The Oculus seemed ruined already. Without a standardized hardware attempt, people won't know if it works on their computer properly until after they've thrown up.

Sony is doing something right - I like the idea of it being HDMI and USB (with a breakout box to split it to a TV). It's simple and doesn't require a battery pack or external power supply. Oculus should DEFINITELY be able to make a more consumer friendly version quicker, not just because of the money that Facebook just dumped into it, but also the people. They've been scooping up big names from the industry, most recently the top guys at Valve who were working on their own VR headset. I think that basically killed any chance Valve had at making it to market.

Its between Sony and Oculus/Facebook now, IMO. Microsoft has their plans, but this new CEO and Xbox's new chief might want to stay out of that business and stick with what they know. Gaming isn't their 1st priority with the One, and VR is pretty much only for gaming.

I believe that Facebook will be able to bring mass appeal to Oculus by funding it very well, and in turn will make Sony's VR solution all the more popular.

I think the people on the internet are over reacting to this story. Lets just wait and see what will happen before we judge it. Remeber, Occulus Rift is also designed for general PC use (VR tours of Mars and Paris) not just gaming use. and if ever occulus fails the gaming community we still have project morpheus.

but personally i still don't like the idea of vr head set.

I think the people on the internet are over reacting to this story. Lets just wait and see what will happen before we judge it. Remeber, Occulus Rift is also designed for general PC use (VR tours of Mars and Paris) not just gaming use. and if ever occulus fails the gaming community we still have project morpheus.

but personally i still don't like the idea of vr head set.

That is why I think facebook will ruin Oculus as a gaming peripheral. They will use it to browse webpages and see those annoying game invites even closer to your face. Not to mention the ads. Granted, they may have actually done some planning for additional content. To me, Google would have been a better option. Seeing locales on my Wii U with the Gamepad was pretty awesome. Imagine them doing that for Google Earth with a VR headset.

That is why I think facebook will ruin Oculus as a gaming peripheral. They will use it to browse webpages and see those annoying game invites even closer to your face. Not to mention the ads. Granted, they may have actually done some planning for additional content. To me, Google would have been a better option. Seeing locales on my Wii U with the Gamepad was pretty awesome. Imagine them doing that for Google Earth with a VR headset.
Why do people assume that Mark Zuckerberg has rhymes or reasons?

He doesn't. He's young, he's rich, he buys shit he thinks is cool. Oculus Rift for 2 bil, instagram for 1 bil, what's app for 17 bil.

This is why the Google founders had someone run the company for the first 5 years or how ever long it was. Mark is just a kid in a candy store and money is no object. I give it another 5 years before Facebook is gone.

Why do people assume that Mark Zuckerberg has rhymes or reasons?

He doesn't. He's young, he's rich, he buys shit he thinks is cool. Oculus Rift for 2 bil, instagram for 1 bil, what's app for 17 bil.

This is why the Google founders had someone run the company for the first 5 years or how ever long it was. Mark is just a kid in a candy store and money is no object. I give it another 5 years before Facebook is gone.
Facebook is public now though. Zuck has to answer to a board of directors and investors. This is so much more than just Zuck tossing around money. It's turning into an investment capital business. If they can play their cards right, they could get into business along the likes of other large venture capital businesses that invest in promising companies in hopes of improving them and turning a profit. It's an investment. Instagram is doing great still, Facebook is still very alive and well, and What's App has been improving with it's massively increased investment. It's strategic business.

To me it seems that Facebook is just trying to diversify their brand. I don't think they want the future of the company dependent on a single social media website.

Facebook is public now though. Zuck has to answer to a board of directors and investors. This is so much more than just Zuck tossing around money. It's turning into an investment capital business. If they can play their cards right, they could get into business along the likes of other large venture capital businesses that invest in promising companies in hopes of improving them and turning a profit. It's an investment. Instagram is doing great still, Facebook is still very alive and well, and What's App has been improving with it's massively increased investment. It's strategic business.
They are doing great but are they turning a profit? Billions in profit?

Companies waste time all the time. Share holders, stock, none of that means a damn thing. The only thing it does mean, is that companies are legally allowed to screw us, and are financially culpable if they don't. What's App is 50 employees. They could have gotten 1 billion or half a billion and been fine. Instead they got a total of 2 dollars for every person on this planet or so. Before the buy off they have never been popular. Are they going to average 2 dollars a person in the world? I mean they have half a billion users. They need 36 dollars per person worth of monetization per user just to break even...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"