Has owning a Vita delayed your purchase of a PS4?

Big Head

PSLS Level: Bronze
It has for me. I really wasn't interested in any of the PS4 launch titles, and there have been just a handful that have made me think about it so far. With MLB 14 coming out, I'm usually one to get it on PS3 & Vita, and was leaning heavily towards nabbing a PS4 before the game launched, but now I'm thinking I may just stick with the Vita.

The Vita games have been so good lately, and with several more slated for 2014, I'm starting to doubt that I may purchase a PS4 before 2015.

It has for me. I really wasn't interested in any of the PS4 launch titles, and there have been just a handful that have made me think about it so far. With MLB 14 coming out, I'm usually one to get it on PS3 & Vita, and was leaning heavily towards nabbing a PS4 before the game launched, but now I'm thinking I may just stick with the Vita.

The Vita games have been so good lately, and with several more slated for 2014, I'm starting to doubt that I may purchase a PS4 before 2015.
So is the Vita your go to for video games overall? Over any console?

So is the Vita your go to for video games overall? Over any console?

Yes, for the most part. My last PS3 purchases were GTA 5 and NHL 14. More and more, I fire up my PS3 solely for NHL Gamecenter and now (thankfully) MLB.tv, but I have a Roku 3 and Apple TV for those as well.

It seems like most of the indies that have been released have been PS4 and Vita cross-buys. If I can have them on Vita, I don't really have a need to plop down $400+ for the same thing.

I'm kinda with you Big. The Vita is my go-to console. Its not even close honestly. However a Vita didn't delay my purchase of my PS4, which I bought at launch. (Bought my Vita on its launch as well.)

I bought a PS4 in part because I own a Vita. While the inability to customize controls really hinders the experience, I still really enjoy using it for Black Flag, NBA2K and Infamous.

I've always described it like this: I bought my "casual" gaming experiences on the PS4 (Assassin's Creeds, Sports Titles, Multiplayer Games), and I buy my more "hardcore" gamer stuff on the Vita, the more niche stuff like Disgaea, Danganronpa, Dragon's Crown, Persona, Ys, Tearaway.

Don't get me wrong: I'll end up buying a PS4, but my Vita has definitely thinned my need to get one any time soon. There are a few import PS3 games I may buy, but I'm not really sitting on a must have game for PS3 either.

Every game I'm excited about is either coming out on Vita exclusively or is a cross-buy, so it's not like I need to have the console version.

Don't get me wrong: I'll end up buying a PS4, but my Vita has definitely thinned my need to get one any time soon. There are a few import PS3 games I may buy, but I'm not really sitting on a must have game for PS3 either.

Every game I'm excited about is either coming out on Vita exclusively or is a cross-buy, so it's not like I need to have the console version.
Since I've bought Infamous on PS4 and I've easily put in 4x as much time into FFXhd on the Vita. If it wasn't for Assassin's Creed I probably would have delayed getting my PS4... but I really really do love my Assassin's Creed games lol.

Not really, owning a PC and a PS3 has. Every major upcoming game up until Destiny is available as a multiplat, and Sony has been suspiciously quiet about first-party exclusives. KZ: Shadowfall doesn't really look that great to me, and I say this as a huge fan of KZ2 and Mercenary. That just leaves inFamous and even though inFamous 2 is one of my favorite games of the 7th gen, I can't see how I'd want to spend so much money on a console that is just going to be sitting on my shelf until PS3 stops getting games.

I'm willing to wait until the end of the year to get one, but I'm fairly certain that I don't want to play The Phantom Pain and Guilty Gear Xrd on PS3. If either of those get release dates then my PS4 purchase will come shortly after.

Quite the opposite for me. Owning a Vita helped me purchase the PlayStation 4. I traded it towards it. Why you might find yourself asking? Well, for my personal tastes, the Vita did not offer much. Remote play didn't interest me in the slightest. It was primarily a Classics machine for me. But at the time I could do that, and preferred to, on my PS3. Which I also traded towards the PS4. I traded them both because I had foolishly assumed we would have our entire PSN library available in one form or another on PS4. I was gravely mistaken. Yet, I do not find myself regretting trading in the powerful little handheld. There are more entertaining games for me on my 3DS. I do, however, slightly regret trading in my PS3. And I am currently saving for and hunting down a backward compatible model so as I may retire the good ol' PS2. A certain local store seems to always have a backward compatible 80gb PS3 on hand.

While others love and adore the Vita, I was just unimpressed. And the lack of must-have software for it really helped drive the decision to trade. I admit and acknowledge the power and potential behind it. I just feel like it isn't really supported at the level it needs to be.

Last edited:
Nope. Day 1 PS4 purchase, just like my Vita. My PS4 gets substantially more use, as my Vita only gets dusted off for events and to check out random releases. I am slowly chipping away at FFXHD on the Vita, but before that, the last game I really cared to play was Symphony of the Night, and I had already beaten that on the PSOne and PSP.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enzo0
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"