Throw in a 1TB HDD first thing?

MakaiOokami

PSLS Level: Bronze
I'm curious what the thoughts are about throwing in a 1TB HDD first thing.

With the PS4 streaming stuff, data management is way easier. You can play games without waiting for an hour to install some fo them.

But... my PS3 is full to capacity and data management is hard at 500GB.

I'm not sure how well 500GB will work on the PS4... want to upgrade to 1TB right away, but 2TB might be cheaper by the time I fill up 500GB. Plan on doing lots of recording, editing, and uploading to Youtube.

I am at the same dilemma, I had to delete like 12gb of data on my PS3 last night which has a 500gb drive. So i know it needs to be upgraded to 1TB, but i would also like to upgrade my PS4 to at least 1tb but it doesn't really need it due to the things you mentioned and the PS4 also downloads a hell of a lot faster than the PS3.

Ooh I'd get 2 TB, but it'd have to be a hybrid hard drive no matter whether I go with 1 or 2 TB.A quick Google search shows results that speak for themselves. I currently have a 500 GB Hybrid Seagate in my laptop, and my boot times/app load times are lightning quick!

For anyone who may not know, a hybrid hard drive is a traditional spinning platter hard drive that also has a small portion (8 GB or so) on a solid state drive. A microcontroller figures out which files you often use and pre-loads them onto the SSD portion, decreasing load times across the board.

I just put a 1TB Hybrid Seagate in my PS4 last night. It was kind of a pain re-installing 200GB of stuff. I would suggest doing it as soon as you open the PS4 as it will need the firmware update anyway. I would have liked a 2TB but I got my 1TB for $89 so I couldn't pass on it.

My PS3 also has a 1TB drive. :)

I just put a 1TB Hybrid Seagate in my PS4 last night. It was kind of a pain re-installing 200GB of stuff. I would suggest doing it as soon as you open the PS4 as it will need the firmware update anyway. I would have liked a 2TB but I got my 1TB for $89 so I couldn't pass on it.

My PS3 also has a 1TB drive. :)
Nice, I'll probably save up for the 2TB and get it down the road. No reason as of now. But once it fills up I will be upgrading the HDD immediately.

Nice, I'll probably save up for the 2TB and get it down the road. No reason as of now. But once it fills up I will be upgrading the HDD immediately.
I don't know. I already have over 200GB on mine. That 500GB will go quicker this gen than last.

I bought a 1tb SSHD for my PS3 sometime early last year, so I made sure to buy one as soon as I got my PS4 as well. Don't wait until you fill up your 500gb on the PS4, just buy a SSHD so it'll be waiting for the arrival of your PS4. Every game has a mandatory install anyway, and the performance of these things is sweet.

I installed a 1TB SSHD in my PS4 last week. Loving it. My fast internet speeds downloaded and installed everything in no time. I haven't tested it out on everything, but the SSHD seems to boot my games up faster. And the 1TB upgrade was definitely warranted. I was down to just about 100GB left on my factory HDD before I upgraded. But, I download all sorts of games and have quite a number of disc-based games.

If you manage your data and delete game data (not save data) that you don't play often, 500GB should be fine for awhile. But if you are like me and keep all your games and visit them often, then you will probably want to upgrade as soon as possible. I just couldn't justify the pricetag on a 2TB SSHD, or a 1TB SSD. I don't care how fast the load times are for SSD right now, they just aren't worth the cost of a freakin' console.

I installed a 1TB SSHD in my PS4 last week. Loving it. My fast internet speeds downloaded and installed everything in no time. I haven't tested it out on everything, but the SSHD seems to boot my games up faster. And the 1TB upgrade was definitely warranted. I was down to just about 100GB left on my factory HDD before I upgraded. But, I download all sorts of games and have quite a number of disc-based games.

If you manage your data and delete game data (not save data) that you don't play often, 500GB should be fine for awhile. But if you are like me and keep all your games and visit them often, then you will probably want to upgrade as soon as possible. I just couldn't justify the pricetag on a 2TB SSHD, or a 1TB SSD. I don't care how fast the load times are for SSD right now, they just aren't worth the cost of a freakin' console.
How much are the 2TB SSD's going for right now? I didn't even know they made those.

It is 1.5TB SSHD for the 2.5mm slot. And those were near $200. SSD 500GB go for like $400. Which is ridiculous.

The 1TB SSHD I got for my PS4 is normally $150. I got it on sale with a coupon for $89. @Arthur Sataine is correct. With a fast internet connection you can download and install stupid amounts of data in a short period of time. I downloaded/installed a little over 200GB in one evening.

The 1TB SSHD I got for my PS4 is normally $150. I got it on sale with a coupon for $89. @Arthur Sataine is correct. With a fast internet connection you can download and install stupid amounts of data in a short period of time. I downloaded/installed a little over 200GB in one evening.
I don't have fast internet though. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"