Tutorial: Using a DualShock 4 to Play PC Games

Dan Oravasaari

PSLS Level: Bronze
Staff member
The DualShock 4 has to be one of the most well designed controllers ever, so finding a way to use it to play games on my PC was a must. Given that it took me some time to figure out how exactly to set it up, and that there seems to be interest into how to do this, I've decided to write this short-ish tutorial. It has been a while, so if there are any issues, please let me know and I will update this as needed.

1. This only works for titles that use Xinput. A feature that allows the Xbox 360 controller to be used.
  2. Download XBOX 360 Controller Emulator 2.1.2.191 (X360ce.exe) and x360ce Libraries 32bit 3.4.0.848 (xinput1_3.dll)
  3. Connect the DualShock 4 to your PC and it should install automatically.
  4. Find a PC game that has controller support. On Steam, this is usually listed as a feature on the game details page.
  5. Find the folder containing the .EXE file that starts up the game. If using a shortcut, one method is to simply right click, and select 'open file location.'
  6. Copy and paste X360ce.exe and xinput1_3.dll from the downloaded files into the folder you just opened (containing the .EXE).
  7. Run X360ce.exe. It will ask you if you want to create a .INI file, say yes. Select yes to automatically find the proper settings for the controller. If this doesn't work, select the preset 'Logitech Wireless Rumble Pad 2' and click save.
  8. Play your game, but do note this doesn't change button prompts to match the DS4.
  9. You will also need to copy X360ce.exe, xinput1_3.dll and the .ini file you just created to any other game's .EXE folder, if you want to use your DS4 controller.
I hope this helps you guys out, and hopefully I remembered all of the steps correctly. Cheers!

Last edited:
Wonder if it's possible to do on a Mac.......
It should be. PS4 controllers are direct input. Shouldn't be an issue to use it on a Mac. The Octodad peeps said that it works if you plug it in, no drivers needed. Maybe give it a try and see if it works before tweaking.

Like I said it's supposed to be direct input (which is what most PC games used to support) what Linux offers up is X-input support (which is for games that support 360 controller instantly plug and play capabilities)

It should be. PS4 controllers are direct input. Shouldn't be an issue to use it on a Mac. The Octodad peeps said that it works if you plug it in, no drivers needed. Maybe give it a try and see if it works before tweaking.

Like I said it's supposed to be direct input (which is what most PC games used to support) what Linux offers up is X-input support (which is for games that support 360 controller instantly plug and play capabilities)
I'll try it later tonight after work and see how it does. Will update here. ;)

Well, we can chalk Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn off as one that doesn't work with the program. It can natively read a 360 controller, and supposedly PS3 controllers, but the Dual Shock 4 just wouldn't register. It's all good. I'm hopping on over to the PS4 version when it comes out anyway.

Well, we can chalk Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn off as one that doesn't work with the program. It can natively read a 360 controller, and supposedly PS3 controllers, but the Dual Shock 4 just wouldn't register. It's all good. I'm hopping on over to the PS4 version when it comes out anyway.
That's weird. It being able to read a Dual Shock 3 should allow for the 4 as well.

I can't seem to get the DS4 to work in many Steam games. Basic functionality works like the sticks but the buttons are all wonky...any word?

DS4 works well on a Mac out of the box (bluetooth and usb). I use it for OpenEmu and Dolphin usually. Steam games should work, but I haven't tested much (as most of my steam games don't run on OSX). App Store games should also work easily.

I can't seem to get the DS4 to work in many Steam games. Basic functionality works like the sticks but the buttons are all wonky...any word?

Can you let us know a bit more about what set up you are using? Are you using an emulator for Xinput? Are the games you are trying game pad compatible normally?

What I find weird is that Tera Online natively reads and acknowledges the Dual Shock 4. However, A Realm Reborn (a game releasing for PlayStation 4) will not. Must be some sort of oversight.

Can you let us know a bit more about what set up you are using? Are you using an emulator for Xinput? Are the games you are trying game pad compatible normally?
I am running Vista 64 Ultimate (don't hate me) and have the x360 controller software installed and the xinput program that fakes it into thinking the PS4 controller is an x360 controller. I have tried HL2, and all episodes, Portal, Portal 2, L4D, & L4D2...some games don't recognize the triggers as triggers and instead as shoulders and in L4D specifically it will not even pick up the control sticks and the character just spins. In Portal 2 you can move but not aim. Am I doing something wrong here?

When
I am running Vista 64 Ultimate (don't hate me) and have the x360 controller software installed and the xinput program that fakes it into thinking the PS4 controller is an x360 controller. I have tried HL2, and all episodes, Portal, Portal 2, L4D, & L4D2...some games don't recognize the triggers as triggers and instead as shoulders and in L4D specifically it will not even pick up the control sticks and the character just spins. In Portal 2 you can move but not aim. Am I doing something wrong here?

Since you are using Vista 64, I am not sure about if it comes with the normal Windows Xinput drivers, so you may need to download and install them first. Also, one thing to note, is that many PC games are designed around 32bit, so it makes me wonder if that could be the root of your problem. Sorry, I can't give you specifics, but hope I can at least give you a place to start looking.

Lastly, before you go messing with more files, I would make sure you go through Step 7 again and make sure you have the controller configured correctly and saved, just in case it was something simple like that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"