Switch Opinions

Are you getting a Switch this year?

• Total voters

ahchurro11

PSLS Level: Bronze
With the Switch being released in about 2 weeks, I was curious on what the PSLS community thinks of it. Personally I am really hyped for it cause it is essentially a more refined version of what the vita originally was: a portable version of a console experience (I've even seen it nicknamed Vita 2.0 a few times across Internet HQ). There are a few things that bug me about it such as low internal memory, costs for accessories, battery life, etc, but I'm partially used to it (no) thanks to the vita itself (CURSE THOSE MEMORY CARDS). THe Joycons look pretty nice and comfy to me and the launch year so far looks pretty good (end looks like heaven in comparison to the Wii U Launch year). The motion control, while I may not care for it in the long run, seems OK. No real point in taking it out if its so cheap, phones do it all the time & it probably can lead to other styles of play controls that are unique in a way.

That's just my opinion though. What about all of you all?

If I'm being honest I'm really not sure. I mean the Switch has some interesting ideas and I like a lot of the games launching for it like Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey but Nintendo systems have poor battery life a lot of the time. So yeah I'm on the fence. It helps that I already have a PS4 so it doesn't matter that it doesn't have a lot of third party support.

Last edited:
Not likely.

I have such a deep backlog on PS4/PS3/Vita that it doesn't make sense to go out and buy another console with games I won't have time to play.

Glad to see it working out so far for Nintendo fans though.

I don't know if anyone is going to read this, but here's my opinion on the matter.

Nintendo is absolutely shit at game deals. You got some of the best Vita games free with playstation Plus, a PS Vita, and Vita t.v. do almost the same thing as the Switch, just that 4GB limit with a few loopholes struggles a bit. A playstation tablet would be a much better gaming device than a Switch because $90 of the $257 estimated cost is just the Joycons because of HD rumble, so Sony could make a more powerful tablet, using an extra $50 for power, and come out at the $250 Vita did at a profit.

A new Sony handheld would give you cloud storage, it would give you free games, and like I said some of the best Vita games were free with Plus, it would have backwards compatibility, so you'd have 1,000 games available, even if it's just the PS1, PSP, and PS TV supported games out of the box, and if they have it to where you can play PS4 games, that would utterly be a game changer.

All that said I did buy a Switch because I got a free game so roughly my Switch cost me $240. But the thing that makes the Switch sell is Zelda and Mario. They are better than I thought they would be, I don't know why Sega can't make games of that caliber. Mario has a spin roll dash mechanic, his hat throw mechanic is almost like a homing attack, I don't know why Sonic can't do that. Seems like a no brainer.

If you don't want to play Zelda, or worse if you've seen so many playthroughs of it online that nothing is new anymore, then don't get a Switch unless you absolutely need a Vita replacement and there's games you want on the Switch desperately. The $90 dock is bull, the joycons are over produced, and you'll need other 3rd party solutions such as the kinda junky d-pad on the Pro Controller for $70 (no pivot in the bottom so you can hit both the left and the right buttons at the same time) the motion control free Power A wired pad, or some of hte $40 pads. or you can buy a grip for the joycons for Mario cart and have these weird tiny little controllers...

I dunno the system is a bit of a mess. Sony COULD do better if they got their heads out of their asses which they won't. Nintendo is completely consumer unfriendly, and Windows 10 tablet, computing hybrid gaming is just non standardized in some ways and overly standardized in other ways and just a mess to be honest.

I think the Vita even with those overpriced memory cards (because companies were going to boycott it due to the digital discount of 10% on games they were offering, in Europe one of the big stores threatened a boycott) the PS Vita has so many games, at such a cheap price that it's a really nice option.

You could use a backup battery, and a $50 t.v. with a $50 PS TV, and have a really try hard to be a switch experience...

There was the Dekavita 7

https://c.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/dekavita7-1-820x420.jpg

There was this thing for Rasperry Pis

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FFAFMM0

So... I dunno what to say to be honest. What ever it is you want you can figure out a half assed way to accomplish it at a price, but... it would be nice to have a new Sony tablet I could use my PS4 controller on and play Patapon PS4 remaster on it.

But until then I have my switch with over priced games that hardly go on sale. I mean their black Friday deals were sub par compared to Best Buy Gamerclub deals ffs.

So I've been reading PSLS for a long while but checked the forum only now. And as both a PlayStation and a Nintendo fan, I have to disagree that “Nintendo is absolutely shit at game deals.” I bought a Switch bundle in 2018 which came with Super Mario Odyssey, a game-themed red case for the console, and a protecting film, and it costed slightly lower than the base console. Now, this was the special agreement with the retailer I bought it, I believe, but Nin has such agreements with quite a few retailers around the world. And Super Mario Odyssey is surely the greatest game I've ever played, I can't even compare the joy I get from it with any other game. What I am trying to say is that this bundle with one game provided me with dozens of happy hours with my wife, so it was worth every penny.

PS: Oh, I just noticed that it's an old thread. Well, now it looks like a short rant but I'll post it anyways. :(

I think I will buy the switch, there are a lot of games that interest me and I think it's worth it.

Last edited:
So I've been reading PSLS for a long while but checked the forum only now. And as both a PlayStation and a Nintendo fan, I have to disagree that “Nintendo is absolutely shit at game deals.” I bought a Switch bundle in 2018 which came with Super Mario Odyssey, a game-themed red case for the console, and a protecting film, and it costed slightly lower than the base console. Now, this was the special agreement with the retailer I bought it, I believe, but Nin has such agreements with quite a few retailers around the world. And Super Mario Odyssey is surely the greatest game I've ever played, I can't even compare the joy I get from it with any other game. What I am trying to say is that this bundle with one game provided me with dozens of happy hours with my wife, so it was worth every penny.

PS: Oh, I just noticed that it's an old thread. Well, now it looks like a short rant but I'll post it anyways. :(

Same here, I got Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild. It's a great system and it's quite consistant with releasing new titles, I mean right now there's Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 coming out next month, Link's Awakening in September and then Pokemon Sword/Shield at the end of the year so I'd say it's worth it.

Plus it's getting better at getting some of the high profile games like a couple of the Bethesda titles (I keep living in hope that Bethesda will remaster Fallout 3 for the Switch)

My only problem with the Switch is man does that screen attract a lot of dirt, I've got a screen protector and I swear I still get hairs stuck to the damn thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"