All Time Favorite Game

How could you possible like 8 more than 7 or 9?

*Just trying to get you to rant and rave about it*
Draw system + Junction system.

Analog controls without chibi-ish characters (the characters in FF9 were bloody annoying). Last time I tried to revisit FF7, I couldn't get past the lack of analog support. The whole Shakespeare backdrop of FF9 was cool, but the characters severely limited its effectiveness for me.

The summons / GFs felt like they actually belonged instead of being something you could totally ignore. In FF7 and FF9, you could mostly ignore the summons. I mean, seriously - how many times did you summon Knights of the Round and sigh out loud? It was everytime except for the first for me.

Triple Triad.

Also - Ragnarok. There isn't a better airship then Ragnarok. Period. The ship looks cool, and it's a space ship being used as an airplane. Oh, and it's name is cool.

The protagonist characters in FF8 were best to me, too. Being a kind of antisocial teen with only a handful of friends, Squall was relatable. Zell was like that annoying guy I went to school with. Rinoa was that dicktease ex-girlfriend I had. Irvine was my best friend's alter-ego. Selphie and Quistis were throwaway characters for me, but there are people like that in my life as well. I'll admit that there weren't any iconic villains in FF8, but I was okay with the enemy being a collective of Sorceresses. That stopped the villainy from being characterized by a single set of manners in one character, much unlike FF7 with Sephiroth and FF9 with Kuja. Also, it was good to not have any overpowered optional characters like Beatrix, although she was my favorite character in FF9.

If you need more, please say so. :-D

My number one game of all time would have to be Sonic Adventures 2 for the Dreamcast. I could play that game over and over hours on end just tending to the Chao, and replaying levels over and over for the platforming prowess and fidelity that game has let me experience. On top of the incredible boss battles, puzzles, and experiences that game gave me (namely the ending with SUPER SAIYAN SONIC), I would have to say it was one of the best in the time period. Sadly, I no longer own a copy for the Dreamcast or Gamecube. Nowadays its all about FRAME RATE and Visual Prowess. Developers have lost their way to innovate games. Sega gave me something new whenever I believed it could, sadly, there's not much new today that I haven't seen somewhere else in another game.

Analog controls without chibi-ish characters (the characters in FF9 were bloody annoying). Last time I tried to revisit FF7, I couldn't get past the lack of analog support. The whole Shakespeare backdrop of FF9 was cool, but the characters severely limited its effectiveness for me.

The summons / GFs felt like they actually belonged instead of being something you could totally ignore. In FF7 and FF9, you could mostly ignore the summons. I mean, seriously - how many times did you summon Knights of the Round and sigh out loud? It was everytime except for the first for me.

Triple Triad.

Also - Ragnarok. There isn't a better airship then Ragnarok. Period. The ship looks cool, and it's a space ship being used as an airplane. Oh, and it's name is cool.

The protagonist characters in FF8 were best to me, too. Being a kind of antisocial teen with only a handful of friends, Squall was relatable. Zell was like that annoying guy I went to school with. Rinoa was that dicktease ex-girlfriend I had. Irvine was my best friend's alter-ego. Selphie and Quistis were throwaway characters for me, but there are people like that in my life as well. I'll admit that there weren't any iconic villains in FF8, but I was okay with the enemy being a collective of Sorceresses. That stopped the villainy from being characterized by a single set of manners in one character, much unlike FF7 with Sephiroth and FF9 with Kuja. Also, it was good to not have any overpowered optional characters like Beatrix, although she was my favorite character in FF9.

I couldn't have said it better myself. If I could like this post more than once I would. Great post!

My number one game of all time would have to be Sonic Adventures 2 for the Dreamcast. I could play that game over and over hours on end just tending to the Chao, and replaying levels over and over for the platforming prowess and fidelity that game has let me experience. On top of the incredible boss battles, puzzles, and experiences that game gave me (namely the ending with SUPER SAIYAN SONIC), I would have to say it was one of the best in the time period. Sadly, I no longer own a copy for the Dreamcast or Gamecube. Nowadays its all about FRAME RATE and Visual Prowess. Developers have lost their way to innovate games. Sega gave me something new whenever I believed it could, sadly, there's not much new today that I haven't seen somewhere else in another game.

It's cool, man! Sony and Sega have your back. :-D

sonicadventure2psn.png

Triple Triad.

I do need... No... demand more. This is no where near enough information to justify your favoritism towards this game.

I really need to replay all 3 though. Because I don't remember Rinoa being a dick tease. I saw her more as the hot stalker type that knew what she wanted and would stop until she got it. Squall was by far my favorite lead in any ff game because I totally relate to the way he goes about his business. Doesn't say much but just gets stuff done. I didn't find Zell annoying. I felt what Squall lacked in personality, it was more than made up for with him. Always felt that if something were to go down, he would be the first one in to help. I usually went with a sausagefest line up of Squall/Zell/Irvine. Liked his weapon of choice. Selphie was definitely a throw away and Quistis had this weird vibe going on where she was the matured motherly figure that was nearly the same age as everyone else.

Ragnarok was a cool ship. I just wish I got more time to explore in that than the garden.

It took me a while for my simple mind to understand how to play triple triad (Mainly because I don't like to read instructions). But once I understood it, going through all the side quests to obtain ever card was really enjoyable. Especially with the card club in the garden.

I would use Knights of the Round as often as I could. Just throw that bad boy on and go make a sandwich or go for a pee break.

The biggest hooks for me were the whole garden aspect and the Squall + Rinoa story line. Those two things I could go on for hours about ;)

I do need... No... demand more. This is no where near enough information to justify your favoritism towards this game.

I really need to replay all 3 though. Because I don't remember Rinoa being a dick tease. I saw her more as the hot stalker type that knew what she wanted and would stop until she got it. Squall was by far my favorite lead in any ff game because I totally relate to the way he goes about his business. Doesn't say much but just gets stuff done. I didn't find Zell annoying. I felt what Squall lacked in personality, it was more than made up for with him. Always felt that if something were to go down, he would be the first one in to help. I usually went with a sausagefest line up of Squall/Zell/Irvine. Liked his weapon of choice. Selphie was definitely a throw away and Quistis had this weird vibe going on where she was the matured motherly figure that was nearly the same age as everyone else.

Ragnarok was a cool ship. I just wish I got more time to explore in that than the garden.

It took me a while for my simple mind to understand how to play triple triad (Mainly because I don't like to read instructions). But once I understood it, going through all the side quests to obtain ever card was really enjoyable. Especially with the card club in the garden.

I would use Knights of the Round as often as I could. Just throw that bad boy on and go make a sandwich or go for a pee break.

The biggest hooks for me were the whole garden aspect and the Squall + Rinoa story line. Those two things I could go on for hours about ;)
Looks like you did my work for me!

I saw her more as the hot stalker type that knew what she wanted and would stop until she got it.
I think you misinterpret. People like Squall can be tough nuts to crack, so to speak. If one has an interest in befriending them, and especially if one has a romantic interest in them, persistence is essential. Without it, you'll (probably) never get them to open up.

...Or, at least, that's how I see it, in hindsight, after seeing the topic brought up now. ^^;

Believe me when I say I would love to join in on the FF VIII talks, but at least for tonight, I'll have to just say I agree with much of what has been said in its favor, and save further comments for another time. I need to get to bed soon, heh.

Different strokes for different folks? Although i haven't beaten FF8 yet, I had it for quite awhile and it didn't really give me insentive to go back and do it. For the most part i don't like Squall, i think he's lame, annoying, and so japanese stereotypical cool "pfft friends? Who needs those?!?!" then again i haven't played it to the end to understand it, but i'm not a fan of that attitude. Where as i feel everyone in FF9 has a lot more personality and wonderment to them. I haven't finished that game either, and you can disagree, but every character has some sort of past and mysteries in 9 that seem more engrained in how actual people would be. I guess i just like happier, more realistic characters. For FF8 i'd say i really like Laguna, and for the FF7 full story i like Zack. I think a lot of people look past some real tones in 9 just because the way it looks and how characters act/interact. Though i feel it encounters some real inner conflicts. "Where do i come from?" "Why am i here?" "Is this the right thing to be doing?" "Do i truly have any will of my own?"

As far as the battle systems and stuff go, I also like 9's better. It's really simple but deep, unlike 8's which is all deep and complex. Not to say its bad, but you definitely have to devote some time into it to figure it all out.

Now this isn't to say i don't like 8 at all, cause i do. It just hasn't been all that appealing to me.

Not that you guys should really care anyway. its just my opinion, feel free to refer to my sig :)

Well played!

;)

I think you misinterpret. People like Squall can be tough nuts to crack, so to speak. If one has an interest in befriending them, and especially if one has a romantic interest in them, persistence is essential. Without it, you'll (probably) never get them to open up.

...Or, at least, that's how I see it, in hindsight, after seeing the topic brought up now. ^^;

Believe me when I say I would love to join in on the FF VIII talks, but at least for tonight, I'll have to just say I agree with much of what has been said in its favor, and save further comments for another time. I need to get to bed soon, heh.

To be fair, I was 13 when I last played ff8 completely and I'm going on vagueish remembrance of what my skewed little mind had going back then. I understand that viewpoint completely, though. I'm sure if I played it again, I would see things differently. My visual comprehension skills weren't really up to par back then.

You rest up, though. You'll need to conserve your strength for the coming ff conversations.

Different strokes for different folks? Although i haven't beaten FF8 yet, I had it for quite awhile and it didn't really give me insentive to go back and do it. For the most part i don't like Squall, i think he's lame, annoying, and so japanese stereotypical cool "pfft friends? Who needs those?!?!" then again i haven't played it to the end to understand it, but i'm not a fan of that attitude. Where as i feel everyone in FF9 has a lot more personality and wonderment to them. I haven't finished that game either, and you can disagree, but every character has some sort of past and mysteries in 9 that seem more engrained in how actual people would be. I guess i just like happier, more realistic characters. For FF8 i'd say i really like Laguna, and for the FF7 full story i like Zack. I think a lot of people look past some real tones in 9 just because the way it looks and how characters act/interact. Though i feel it encounters some real inner conflicts. "Where do i come from?" "Why am i here?" "Is this the right thing to be doing?" "Do i truly have any will of my own?"

As far as the battle systems and stuff go, I also like 9's better. It's really simple but deep, unlike 8's which is all deep and complex. Not to say its bad, but you definitely have to devote some time into it to figure it all out.

Now this isn't to say i don't like 8 at all, cause i do. It just hasn't been all that appealing to me.

Not that you guys should really care anyway. its just my opinion, feel free to refer to my sig :)

Finally someone from the 9 side of the tracks. I've been waiting for someone to help me understand the mystique of that game being that I just glanced over it. Of the big 3, this is one I really need to play again but the art style is throwing me off. It's not that I don't like it. Only that I can't relate to it. But that's just me judging a book by its cover. Reading what you have to say, there seems to be more under the surface.

Damn you all! I am on the brink of impulse buying ff7-9 so I have more to add to this conversation then my hazy recollection from my early teens :oops:

I couldn't stand the rejected Midgets from the Willow movie that made up the cast of FF9. FYI, this could probably do with its own thread if someone wants to make it.

I couldn't stand the rejected Midgets from the Willow movie that made up the cast of FF9. FYI, this could probably do with its own thread if someone wants to make it.
I'll reply to your post in that new thread :D

*disclaimer*
This message is not meant to be seen as a reply. It is merely an acknowledgement that a new thread will be started.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"