Favorite Game Soundtracks/Composers

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Chalryn, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Chalryn

Chalryn PSLS Level: Bronze

PSN:
    Chalryn
    Simple topic: Share some of your favorite video game soundtracks. If you follow specific composers often involved in gaming, then give some shoutouts. If you'd like, share some of your favorite tracks, too. Give as many (or few) details as you want to. =p

As for myself, I'll wait a bit to share mine, seeing as I just finished typing up a huge list of other artists elsewhere on the forum. ^^; Figured I'd at least get a thread started, though.

2. chichi

chichi PSLS Level: Bronze

PSN:
    chino6891
    for a classic game

for modern game

Arthur Sataine likes this.
  3. Lifewish

Lifewish 중재자 Staff Member

PSN:
    lifewish
    Great thread.. for me the Persona games, espcially 3 and 4 have had the best music of any game, hands down. Here are two of my favorites.

Persona 3 Opening

Persona 4 Opening

chichi likes this.
  4. Arthur Sataine

Arthur Sataine PSLS Level: Bronze PSLS Ambassador

PSN:
    ArthurSataine
    Love Nobuo Uematsu. (sp?) Has to be my favorite game composer. Love all his works. Every single bit of them. Especially across the Final Fantasy series.

And on game will always have my love for an opening cinematic/theme song. Thank you Namco.

Soul Blade:

5. chichi

chichi PSLS Level: Bronze

PSN:
    chino6891
    persona music is so good, the live concerts in japan gets sold out every single time.

6. Chalryn

PSN:
    Chalryn
    Well, since Nobuo Uematsu (yes, you spelled it correctly, @Arthur Sataine) is an inevitable mention, I still think FF VIII has my favorite soundtrack out of the series. Case in point:

(Sorta cheating, using a live, fully-orchestrated version. =p)

On an older note, props go out to the Donkey Kong Country series. Especially DKC2.

And for something more recent/modern, I've found Deus Ex: Human Revolution's soundtrack to be quite enjoyable. Have totally just zoned out to its soundtrack on several occasions.

Plenty more, but I'll just post up more over time, rather than doing a big list all at once.

7. Lifewish

PSN:
    lifewish
    Another one I really liked was the Shatter soundtrack on PSN

stolenxnametag likes this.
  8. Jacky

Jacky PSLS Level: Silver

PSN:
    ScoobyPup01
    the music for sengoku basara and the original devil may cry games

9. Chalryn

PSN:
    Chalryn

MAY MY FISTS UNITE ALL!

10. Jacky

Jacky PSLS Level: Silver

PSN:
    ScoobyPup01
    ieyasu = goody two shoes

11. Chalryn

PSN:
    Chalryn
    Lord Happy.

I grabbed The Swapper not too long ago, from a Humble Bundle, not initially knowing what it was or anything. Upon checking a trailer, it seemed kinda neat, so I loaded it up, and I have to say, what a lovely soundtrack it has. Been listening to it when I go to bed lately.

And since I'm on the note of sleep music, here's a couple of other favorites from games that I've used for bedtime over the years. ^^

This was like the "original" sleepy tune for me. Pretty much what got me started on listening to soundtracks and whatnot at bedtime. Always kinda bugged me how Yoko Shimomura didn't seem to get much attention until the Kingdom Hearts games, 'cause she did some great stuff long before them.

12. cigarley

cigarley PSLS Level: Silver

PSN:
    cigarley
    DKC2 has got to have one of my favorite soundtracks, I'm really glad that David Wise came back to DKC for the Returns series.

Here's a great cover of one of my favorite DKC2 songs, I subbed to these guys waiting for them to upload more stuff but it never came ;_;

13. Chalryn

PSN:
    Chalryn
    Seriously, DKC for the win.

Pretty sweet cover, though. I swear, I hear the bubbling lava sound from the original, just from being so used to it. xD (Plus the occasional sound effect of bouncing off a croc head.)

14. cigarley

cigarley PSLS Level: Silver

PSN:
    cigarley
    Uematsu seemed like the most popular choice, so instead I'll give a shout out to my other favorite video game composer; Yasunori Mitsuda. I've been a huge fan of his ever since I first played Chrono Trigger almost two decades ago

Keiichi Okabe also deserves a mention, I'm really looking forward to hearing the full Drakengard 3 soundtrack

15. Chalryn

PSN:
    Chalryn
    This. This right here.

But yeah, Yasunori Mitsuda is usually the first name tossed out there after Uematsu, lol. Definitely does some great stuff as well. (Recently pointed out his involvement in Arc Rise Fantasia, elsewhere on the forum.) I loved the world map theme(s) in Chrono Cross as well -- particularly the Another World theme.

A quick shoutout to the Mana Khemia games for some great battle tracks. Given the BGM change option in Atelier Totori, I pretty much immediately downloaded and used nothing but MK battle themes through the whole game. Because why not, when you've got music choices like these?:

(They had some other great tunes aside from battle themes, as well.)

cigarley likes this.
  16. Lifewish

PSN:
    lifewish
    I also really like the Tales of the Abyss opening song.

17. stolenxnametag

stolenxnametag PSLS Level: Kraken PSLS Ambassador

PSN:
    arithrottle
    I like these because they're catchy and require only your voice. The lyrics are printed in-game, too, so you can read the ones that have lyrics you couldn't understand before.

This, too. This so much.

I think this is more inspired by games than actually for games, but it's still good.

18. SightfulRage

SightfulRage PSLS Level: Bronze

PSN:
    Sightful_Rage
    My thunder has been stolen :oops: DKC2 had an amazing soundtrack. But since Hot Head Bop was already thrown out, I'll present my number 2

Is it a cheat to say that Guitar Hero 2 and 3 had awesome soundtracks as well? :p

stolenxnametag likes this.
  19. stolenxnametag

stolenxnametag PSLS Level: Kraken PSLS Ambassador

PSN:
    arithrottle
    That's definitely cheating - but Warriors of Rock had the best soundtrack for any Guitar Hero game. :-D

SightfulRage likes this.
  20. Untraditional

Untraditional PSLS Level: Bronze

PSN:
    Jong_Lohnson

I GIVE MY LIFE! NOT FOR HONOR, BUT FOR YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!