Bad Gamers Ep. 79 – Hate Mail, Gender Swaps and a Sniper Elite 3 DLC Giveaway

stolenxnametag

PSLS Level: Kraken
PSLS Ambassador
On this week's early episode of Bad Gamers, @Dan Oravasaari, @Chandler Wood, and @D'yani talk about making mistakes look scary, making mistakes against your fans, and making mistakes against the ancient Norse people.

Bad-Gamers-79.png

^^Is that Chandler?

Media Molecule's Mistakes and Inventions
I'm pretty sure that the mistake video was the beginning of an HD remaster of Polybius for PS4. Get ready to have your nightmares wrecked and your lives crushed at 4K definition and 120fps - only on PlayStation 4!

The Arctic Facebreeze looked genius as well. I'm preordering mine after Gamescom when it's announced for $12.99 for PS Plus users on the Sony website.

Square Enix Baffles Fans Again
After we heard that Final Fantasy Type 0 was being fansubbed in a patch for PSP on a semi-official basis, Square Enix said, "You know what? We really don't like our fans," again by threatening lawsuits and stuff if the creator of the patch didn't remove all traces of from their website before the official August 8 release. Square Enix, I hate that I like some of your games.

No Selectable Female Characters in AC Unity
I don't care. I can play Child of Light or Tomb Raider instead. I can create a female character in Destiny. As @Dan Oravasaari mentioned, having a female lead in a game about the French Revolution doesn't actually make sense because of the perception of women during that time period. Games with girls exist, and @D'yani nailed it - this argument should be for another game.

nogirls.jpg
Maybe we'll get Mulan as a character in Assassin's Creed: Rise of the Shogun

Fanmail of Destiny

Best segment ever! You guys should have a weekly giveaway for featured emails, whether they're rooted in hatred or praise.

Destiny Beta
I've been having a good time playing the beta. A fireteam of 6 would be pretty sweet. Hopefully Bungie listens to this podcast and takes that into consideration. Have you guys encountered any of those random events where a ship shows up and starts dropping giant enemies out in the middle of nowhere? That happened to me when I was doing a quest yesterday.

Sniper Elite 3 DLC
You should accept emails from people who are prove that they're bad gamers, like if they confuse Radec with Raiden (MK or MGS).

Crimsonland
Chandler's review for Crimsonland made it seem really fun. I kept watching the blood splatters and the crazy weapons and started remembering being a little kid with this shitty, yet addictive game called Loaded back in the PS1 days (and then Dan mentioned this during the podcast; I'm glad someone else remembers that game and its sequel, Re-Loaded).

A lack of online playability is certainly halting my immediate purchase of the game. My IRL friends don't play games with me at my house, and I remember the multiplayer being the best part in Loaded. :(

I would have embedded Chandler's video here, but I don't think the forums will let me. :(

SDCC
Have fun in your PSLS costume, Dan!

Shoehorning Social Justice Into Fiction
My wife thought that I was lying when I told her that the son of Odin was now a daughter. She argued with me for like 30 minutes about this before I could show her an official statement. Why? Because you don't alter a centuries-old pagan religious canon by redirecting gender to include a new demographic into your comic series. Thanks Marvel!

ihateyoumarvel.png
Kotaku's deduction about Thor being a Disney Princess is the best way to talk about this for me.

Also, fuck you @Chandler Wood for spoiling the next Avengers movie. :D

Hahah sorry, I thought it was a widely known rumor... it might not even happen, I just heard it a while ago. Feeling sheepish now. lol

Hate mail can be funny or annoying depending on how it's written or what the topic is.

I wonder if anyone who got a code emailed them back a "fuck you" instead of a "thank you"? hahaha
Not a single one!

Gender swaps: highly common in both games and conventions
Common sure, but perhaps not for the better. Females should take their own role, rather than being shoehorned in to fill a role that once was a man's. Thor for example. It's easy to create female heroes. Why not create a new female hero? Why does Thor have to lose his identity as a male to become a female?

I'm all for gender equality and more/better representation of women, but I think gender swapping existing characters just for the sake of "female representation" is the absolute wrong way to go about it and can ruin the creativity, lore, and story of the original work.

The exception to this is conventions. I think it is cool that women feel comfortable cosplaying as a male character, you don't see that nearly as much on the male side.

Not a single one!

Common sure, but perhaps not for the better. Females should take their own role, rather than being shoehorned in to fill a role that once was a man's. Thor for example. It's easy to create female heroes. Why not create a new female hero? Why does Thor have to lose his identity as a male to become a female?

I'm all for gender equality and more/better representation of women, but I think gender swapping existing characters just for the sake of "female representation" is the absolute wrong way to go about it and can ruin the creativity, lore, and story of the original work.

The exception to this is conventions. I think it is cool that women feel comfortable cosplaying as a male character, you don't see that nearly as much on the male side.

I've seen guys dress up as women in otakon. Saw one dude dressed up as the katamari ball. People were sticking things to the giant foam ball he was wearing. And i see alot of women dress as men.

As for games, it gets on my nerves a little about being forced into a certain rule but then again it's a game. Something not meant to be taken seriously. The only thing i find annoying is the reaction guys tend to have when they realize the person they've been playing with online is a girl. One guy actually left my game because of it.

Females should take their own role, rather than being shoehorned in to fill a role that once was a man's.
^^ This (see below)
Aye! That's what I really appreciate about some Final Fantasy games. You're not forced to be a male character or female character for the duration of the game. You take the roles of multiple characters and get to learn all about who they are and why they are important / relevant in the story.

For instance: in Final Fantasy VI, you start the game as Terra, who is controlled by the mech she is riding. Later, you play as Cyan, this guy who looks like Mercenary Tao from Dragon Ball. You even get to play the game as a feral child named Gau. While most of the game is about how their lives intersect each other, you still are tasked to play through their stories to learn what it is that makes them hate Kefka so much.

This is exactly what games need - sequences where you play as multiple characters that and don't make a big miff out of genders. Assassin's Creed: Unity would not be a good choice for that. If you consider the period of time where the game takes place, women were not exactly treated well, even when they were in the limelight. Marie Antoinette, for example, is still demonized for several pieces of misinformation (come to think of it, Barack Obama seems to be in a similar situation now; odd). Charlotte Corday is probably the second most famous woman from the era, and her claim to fame was assassinating the leader of the political faction who eventually murdered ALL of the leaders in a political group for whom she was a sympathizer. One assassination, however, wouldn't really be plausible enough to make a whole game after her character, and crossing her story with the main character's would only work for like one mission.

tl; shoehorning women into roles where they can't accurately fit into a historical context is an awful idea, and it could cheapen the context for the sacrifices made by women during certain time periods.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enzo0
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"