Bye-Bye Vita. Hello PS4. Then what?

SNOWMANFLURRY

PSLS Level: Newbie
On August 21, I sold my PSVita to Gamestop. On September 12, I'll be getting a PS4/Destiny Bundle. I was wondering if I should actually get another PSVita the next time I have the money to. But the question here, is what should I do when I have that money to get it, should I actually get it? I am a HUGE Pokemon fan, and dat Greninja is calling my name. So, should I get a Vita or a 3DS XL? Sound off below!

if you get a vita, wait til some vita exclusives actually start to come out, or import them your games. cuz right now all it has is ports of console games and indie after indie.
if none of that is appealing, get a ds

I have a Vita and enjoy the free games I get from Plus. I would have never bought most of the games I find myself playing on the Vita. On the other hand, the 3DS has some great games that I am jealous I cannot play. Pokemon would most likely consume my life and all of the old school games on the Eshop are very enticing. It comes down to a matter of personal preference, I would never sell my Vita, but if someone offered me a 3DS with a bunch of games as a trade, I might entertain the idea of switching. Who am I kidding, the Vita is amazing! I wouldn't switch to 3DS if you are buying a PS4. You will be sad that you did, the functionality between the two is only going to get better. Hope that helps!

I personally don't like the 3DS games but there are more of them then there are Vita games. It really just depends on what kind of experiences you want to have.

I own both.

Vita: Fantastic device, great graphics, delightful performance. I love my Vita and have been playing a lot of it. If you have PS+ or have played all of the AAA titles on it though, the PS4 will probably have 90% of the upcoming Vita titles available for it (as most are indies / AA / ports). I don't own a PS4 or a TV , so I'm happy with playing smaller releases on my vita. However, that may not be the case for you. That said, the Vita has GREAT game sales quite often, so you might still grab a few games for it quite cheap and enjoy them on the go.

3DS XL: I absolutely love this thing as well. It has tons of positives going for it: backwards compatibility with the DS physical roster (which is huge), a great library (which is quite varied). Dual screens are quite big. The graphics are not as bad as they may seem on Youtube Videos, and first party support by Nintendo is HUGE. On the negative side, most games never go on sale, and the few that do are always the same. The indie / eShop side of it is almost non-existent, so you're stuck with AA and AAA games (with all the positives and negatives of that).

Vita games I'm looking forward to: The Vita can have (and does have) weird games, like Akiba's trip, the ever-fantastic Persona 4 Golden (I haven't finished it), as well as the upcoming Freedom Wars and a slew of indies.

3DS XL games I'm looking forward to: The Pokemon remakes! Pokemon X/Y completely revamped the breeding system allowing for easier breeding of competitive Pokemon. Wonder Trading is fantastic. Wi-Fi battles are stable and tons of fun. All of these mechanics will probably carry over to the upcoming remakes. Also, there's Smash coming to 3DS in October, which looks amazing. If you haven't owned a 3DS before, you also have Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D (the remake of the beloved N64 classic), and of course, Zelda a Link Between Worlds (which is my favorite Zelda game of all time). And of course, you have Donkey Kong Country Returns, New Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario 3D Land, etc etc etc.

So: If you've played the Vita up-to-date and haven't owned a 3DS XL before, I'd recommend the 3DS if you have the funds to pay up for the near-retail-to-retail price of its games.

If you're behind on Vita titles like Uncharted, P4G, Gravity Rush, Tearaway, Killzone, etc, the Vita might still be a good investment, specially if you're interested in indies on the go.

It's up to you.

I own both.

Vita: Fantastic device, great graphics, delightful performance. I love my Vita and have been playing a lot of it. If you have PS+ or have played all of the AAA titles on it though, the PS4 will probably have 90% of the upcoming Vita titles available for it (as most are indies / AA / ports). I don't own a PS4 or a TV , so I'm happy with playing smaller releases on my vita. However, that may not be the case for you. That said, the Vita has GREAT game sales quite often, so you might still grab a few games for it quite cheap and enjoy them on the go.

3DS XL: I absolutely love this thing as well. It has tons of positives going for it: backwards compatibility with the DS physical roster (which is huge), a great library (which is quite varied). Dual screens are quite big. The graphics are not as bad as they may seem on Youtube Videos, and first party support by Nintendo is HUGE. On the negative side, most games never go on sale, and the few that do are always the same. The indie / eShop side of it is almost non-existent, so you're stuck with AA and AAA games (with all the positives and negatives of that).

Vita games I'm looking forward to: The Vita can have (and does have) weird games, like Akiba's trip, the ever-fantastic Persona 4 Golden (I haven't finished it), as well as the upcoming Freedom Wars and a slew of indies.

3DS XL games I'm looking forward to: The Pokemon remakes! Pokemon X/Y completely revamped the breeding system allowing for easier breeding of competitive Pokemon. Wonder Trading is fantastic. Wi-Fi battles are stable and tons of fun. All of these mechanics will probably carry over to the upcoming remakes. Also, there's Smash coming to 3DS in October, which looks amazing. If you haven't owned a 3DS before, you also have Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D (the remake of the beloved N64 classic), and of course, Zelda a Link Between Worlds (which is my favorite Zelda game of all time). And of course, you have Donkey Kong Country Returns, New Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario 3D Land, etc etc etc.

So: If you've played the Vita up-to-date and haven't owned a 3DS XL before, I'd recommend the 3DS if you have the funds to pay up for the near-retail-to-retail price of its games.

If you're behind on Vita titles like Uncharted, P4G, Gravity Rush, Tearaway, Killzone, etc, the Vita might still be a good investment, specially if you're interested in indies on the go.

It's up to you.

I would own both, but I am just a high schooler who only can work in the summer, so that is why I can have one, and with your explanation, the 3DS XL is seeming mighty alluring. I loved my Vita, but after the Gamescom no-show, and before, it was mainly used for YouTube.

If it weren't for imports i would've sold my vita a long time ago. The price for it's memory cards are ridiculous, the games are all ports or indies, next to no exclusives and overpriced.

3ds is just more appealing in all ways but imports

If it weren't for imports i would've sold my vita a long time ago. The price for it's memory cards are ridiculous, the games are all ports or indies, next to no exclusives and overpriced.

3ds is just more appealing in all ways but imports

As I said, I'm gonna go 3DS XL.

But I plan on getting a PSVITA later on for remote play.

Oh, for sure! I'm not saying you should own both. I'm just giving background for my experience with both devices.

I would agree, the 3DS XL is a better fit for you.

I would own both, but I am just a high schooler who only can work in the summer, so that is why I can have one, and with your explanation, the 3DS XL is seeming mighty alluring. I loved my Vita, but after the Gamescom no-show, and before, it was mainly used for YouTube.
I will say, the Vita wasn't shown at all at Gamescom but there are still some solid titles on the way.

All the Vita games I'm buying these days are all games that literally get no advertising. They just show up unexpectedly in the store without me knowing anything about them beforehand. All these games aren't available physically. The 3DS is a very good handheld, of course, but the Vita has a greater variety of genres IMO.

When you're deciding which handheld to get, always look at the digital game list too and not just the physical side, because then you could be totally missing out on games that you'd probably like if you don't know they exist. Some people just look at the physical games and conclude there's nothing they want, when perhaps all the genres they want are available digitally. Just looking at Gamescom isn't enough.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"