Final Fantasy Oddities (spoilers)

stolenxnametag

PSLS Level: Kraken
PSLS Ambassador
What is your favorite oddity / complaint / conspiracy theory about a Final Fantasy game?

Mine is the Squall is Dead theory from FFVIII.

squallsdead.png
There's a whole fucking website dedicated to it, and it's centered around how Squall was impaled at the end of Disc One in FFVIII and woke up woundless in Disc 2. The theory is actually well documented, and proposes that maybe the rest of the game was the world as Squall saw it flash before his eyes in the final moments of his life. This idea is just as good as any other, but I don't necessarily agree or disagree. It's just really interesting to me.

What do you guys think?

This is one of my own making so here we go.

Square Enix is purposely trying to sabotage Final Fantasy because they are tired of working on it. That is the only reason to explain the XIII trilogy and before that the rather lackluster XII. This approach explains why Final Fantasy XV, the game that EVERYONE has been asking for for the past 6 years has still not released. I mean really, outside of A Realm Reborn, the series has really been going downhill since Final Fantasy X.

That's my theory. Now talk amongst yourselves.

Square Enix is purposely trying to sabotage Final Fantasy because they are tired of working on it. That is the only reason to explain the XIII trilogy and before that the rather lackluster XII. This approach explains why Final Fantasy XV, the game that EVERYONE has been asking for for the past 6 years has still not released. I mean really, outside of A Realm Reborn, the series has really been going downhill since Final Fantasy X.

I also believe that there is a remake of FFVII kept severely red taped, complete with NDA statements wielding contingency plans that are nearly illegal (if you tell anyone, your houses belong to Square Enix and you'll owe us 1 million yen in fines) to keep from divulging the information. I also believe that it's being saved for the end of this console generation as the Magnum Opus of Square Enix, who will declare it THE Final Fantasy once it is released.

My rationale for this is based on statements from Yoichi Wada saying it wouldn't happen until they made a Final Fantasy game that surpassed the quality and sales of FFVII. If not the end of the console cycle, maybe they'll announce a release date at E3 2016 or 2017 to make a strategic release after KH3 and FFXV have run their first year of sales cycles.

FFVIII has a couple of 'em. With quite a few plot holes, fans had plenty to work with for speculation and idea-crafting, heh. The big one I remember always seeing around, before I found the "Squall's Dead" one, was that Rinoa ultimately becomes Ultimecia, and Squall becomes her GF, as Griever. I believe the idea was ultimately shot down, due to various factors working against it, but I always thought it was a pretty neat idea (and somewhat less farfetched than Squall being dead and the last three discs being a dying dream, IMO).

If anyone sabotaged 13 I think it was Microsoft. The game was 4 discs as it was on DVD. They put a lot of time and effort. Fact is good games can't be made properly on the Xbox 360 because 10 GB discs are just too small for a lot of good graphics and texturing, and they said they cut out like half the content in the game. That also explains the extreme linearity. Every time you go back to a place, you have to have the texture data for that place. So the more backtracking necessary later on the more redundant data is stored on the disc itself.

If Square Enix hated Final Fantasy so much why would they do the concerts, the ports to android and IOS, the remakes, the sequels, so on and so fourth. Problem is making games with amazing graphics, amazing story, and amazing gameplay takes a long ass time. Plus Final Fantasy 13 isn't a bad game. It's just a polarizing game. People don't like change and there were a lot of changes. You also have to remember that these games are made with the Japanese market in mind too.

So there's your theory debunked in a nutshell. Talk amongst yourselves.

If anyone sabotaged 13 I think it was Microsoft. The game was 4 discs as it was on DVD. They put a lot of time and effort. Fact is good games can't be made properly on the Xbox 360 because 10 GB discs are just too small for a lot of good graphics and texturing, and they said they cut out like half the content in the game. That also explains the extreme linearity. Every time you go back to a place, you have to have the texture data for that place. So the more backtracking necessary later on the more redundant data is stored on the disc itself.

If Square Enix hated Final Fantasy so much why would they do the concerts, the ports to android and IOS, the remakes, the sequels, so on and so fourth. Problem is making games with amazing graphics, amazing story, and amazing gameplay takes a long ass time. Plus Final Fantasy 13 isn't a bad game. It's just a polarizing game. People don't like change and there were a lot of changes. You also have to remember that these games are made with the Japanese market in mind too.

Looks at Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag, GTA V, Skyrim, Tomb Raider......
Yeah, those games look pretty damn good for when they were released (some are quite older, Mass Effect in particular), and most of them (except GTA V) were on one disc. To blame a gaming company for the developer being lazy is ridiculous.

They would make all the remakes, sequels and the other things that you mentioned because they like money, like all gaming companies. It is needed to make that next game, and hopefully Final Fantasy XV soon, I've been waiting forever!!! :p

Looks at Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag, GTA V, Skyrim, Tomb Raider......
Yeah, those games look pretty damn good for when they were released (some are quite older, Mass Effect in particular), and most of them (except GTA V) were on one disc. To blame a gaming company for the developer being lazy is ridiculous.

They would make all the remakes, sequels and the other things that you mentioned because they like money, like all gaming companies. It is needed to make that next game, and hopefully Final Fantasy XV soon, I've been waiting forever!!! :p

No it's perfectly fine to blame Microsoft for using DVDs instead of HD DVDs in their console in order to have enough room for gigantic RPGs. Microsoft also has rules on games and how many discs they can be and they don't like to make exceptions because every time a game comes out on 2 discs instead of 1 it makes them look bad.

Microsoft is EXTREMELY anal about appearances. Games have to be on 1 disc because Microsoft won't let them publish easily on 2 discs and it makes development costs and debugging a pain in the ass. It's not something to get upset with. It's math. The question is how much do you compromise? Do you degrade the graphics everyone has been waiting for? Do you cut content?

Black Ops was burned right to the edge of the disc. 10GB isnt' very much at the end of the lifecycle. Even Halo required an install, and Assassin's Creed, and GTA. You can't tell me that sacrifices weren't made for the 360. It's math.

Again Microsoft has a lot of rules about having their games not look to be inferior.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-slammed-by-sony-for-xbox-360-publishing-rules

No it's perfectly fine to blame Microsoft for using DVDs instead of HD DVDs in their console in order to have enough room for gigantic RPGs. Microsoft also has rules on games and how many discs they can be and they don't like to make exceptions because every time a game comes out on 2 discs instead of 1 it makes them look bad.

Microsoft is EXTREMELY anal about appearances. Games have to be on 1 disc because Microsoft won't let them publish easily on 2 discs and it makes development costs and debugging a pain in the ass. It's not something to get upset with. It's math. The question is how much do you compromise? Do you degrade the graphics everyone has been waiting for? Do you cut content?

Black Ops was burned right to the edge of the disc. 10GB isnt' very much at the end of the lifecycle. Even Halo required an install, and Assassin's Creed, and GTA. You can't tell me that sacrifices weren't made for the 360. It's math.

Again Microsoft has a lot of rules about having their games not look to be inferior.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-slammed-by-sony-for-xbox-360-publishing-rules
Tbh I'm not even sure HD DVD was the norm when the 360 originally released (could be wrong, not sure though). If they were so against games not being on more than one disc then please explain games like Mass Effect 3, Lost Odyssey, GTA V, etc. the list goes on and on LINK. Then you say that it's bad to have multiple discs. I could care less if a game comes with multiple discs, as long as it's good (Lost Odyssey was one of the best RPG's last gen, and out did many huge series, including Final Fantasy). I had no issue with multiple discs on PS1 and don't now. As for the install thing with the 360, most games on all consoles require some sort of install now (which is part of the reason they come with HDD's now). At the end of the day it seems that you want to blame Microsoft for everything. Yet most companies are doing the same things that you complain about them for (HDD installs just being one of them). You will never like Microsoft, I get it. But to blame them for everything is a bit ridiculous.

Plus Final Fantasy 13 isn't a bad game. It's just a polarizing game. People don't like change and there were a lot of changes. You also have to remember that these games are made with the Japanese market in mind too.

Even the Japanese market didn't like FF13, so it does not matter who the game was made for. The Final Fantasy series has been a series that has always translated well to Western audiences until the 13 series. I will give you that 13 wasn't a terrible game in general, but it was a terrible FF game and the two that followed deserve to be burned on a fire similar to how the Nazi's used to burn books.

oh and on the top of Microsoft and Square Enix, I do agree that the 13 series suffered due to Microsoft. Square Enix was forced to really tone down some things to make the series the same across the platforms and their focus shifted from making the best FF game to just making something they could market to a wider audience.

Alright, so diverging from the topic of Final Fantasy XIII and who screwed it up....

How about the theory that FFX and FFVII are in the same universe, as evidenced by the Shinra character in FFX-2? The speculation goes a lot deeper than that, (just Google Final Fantasy X prequel to VII) but what are everyone's thoughts on this theory?

Edit: I guess it's not technically a theory, as it was basically confirmed in an interview, but what other things evidence the tie between X and VII?

Alright, so diverging from the topic of Final Fantasy XIII and who screwed it up....

How about the theory that FFX and FFVII are in the same universe, as evidenced by the Shinra character in FFX-2? The speculation goes a lot deeper than that, (just Google Final Fantasy X prequel to VII) but what are everyone's thoughts on this theory?

I think it is very plausible. As plausible as A Realm Reborn being the latest age in Ivalice and XV being the new world Lightning helps usher in during the XIII series.

There is one major flaw I see in all these speculations about the Spira-Gaia connection. That being everyone assumes Shinra, Yuna and gang all leave Spira in their lifetimes. They don't have that tech yet. Those characters would have been long dead before Spirans gained that technology, traveled to Gaia, and become the Cetra.

I think it is very plausible. As plausible as A Realm Reborn being the latest age in Ivalice and XV being the new world Lightning helps usher in during the XIII series.

Is XV really linked to XIII? Please tell me this is just a rumor. I don't want a reason to have to play Lightning Returns.

Edit: I guess it's not technically a theory, as it was basically confirmed in an interview, but what other things evidence the tie between X and VII?
Dammit. Those sneaky bastards at Squeenix tied stuff together to see if we would pay attention - as if a Biggs, Wedge, and Cid in every game wasn't enough!

Is XV really linked to XIII? Please tell me this is just a rumor. I don't want a reason to have to play Lightning Returns.

I feel like it is part of Nova Crystalis. I mean Lightning's mission was to garner all the souls needed to create a new world. And I truly believe XV is that world. We probably won't see any familiar faces though. Maybe some unconscious shop signs or the like indicating past personalities.

I feel like it is part of Nova Crystalis. I mean Lightning's mission was to garner all the souls needed to create a new world. And I truly believe XV is that world. We probably won't see any familiar faces though. Maybe some unconscious shop signs or the like indicating past personalities.
Originally XV was going to be Final Fantasy XIII Versus.

Also on the note of Final Fantasy games in general. Square Enix basically said all the games are in the same universe. At least that's their reason for allowing cross overs in the MMO. However don't expect to see like Aeris or anything. They don't want to break too much Cannon with XIV since XIV is supposed to be a tribute/love letter to Final Fantasy.

Speaking of which next patch we get Golden Saucer and 2 or 3 mini games in FFXIV.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enzo0
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"