PS4 Disc versus Digital.

MakaiOokami

PSLS Level: Bronze
So on the PS4... I'm not sure how discs really work. Are discs even read off of after installation? Should I bother buying discs to take up room and have percieved ownership? Or is it really speedy or tangible to keep buying discs?

I work at Target so I get a discount on both games and PSN cards, so if there's a substantial difference between the 2 the cheaper will probably win out.

Just in general though, what's your preference? Does it matter? Is there a tangible benefit to owning the disc? How does it work specifically.

If I am not mistaken, the disc will always install data. However, the license is physically present on the disc. So there is no perceived ownership, you do indeed own that game and can use the disc anytime to play it. Online or not. My understanding is the disc installs the majority, if not all, of the data onto the HDD. You then use the disc to read the license information and some of the game data (if it is partially installed).

I prefer the physical disc so that I can easily install the games. The disc takes mere moments to install a game and boot it up. Downloading an entire game for reinstall would take considerably longer. But I do both. For me it really just depends on if I want to get up and go buy the game, or buy it from my couch.

The disk and digital versions are basically identical. The disk installs its data to the HDD and is treated as a digital version with a disk check.

I too prefer disk. They don't offer anything more than a 5 Mb (~600 kbps) connection in my area. so digital can be somewhat of a pain. Add to that a 150 GB data cap and it's just dumb for me to even attempt (though I can skirt around this with my phone, Unlimited!). The initial disk installs are so fast and continue in the background while you play so you're usually in the game and playing within a minute, often far less. It's also handy to have the disk for data management.

I went the disk method again for this generation for all 3 consoles. Although with the PSN Sales and Amazon also selling Sony digital content is does make going digital easier. Xbox is only just now testing cheaper prices on digital content, but like usual is way behind.

I like the tangible goods, I don't trade in my games but do occasionally sell them if they become rare or i somehow duplicate it via Digital or re-release. I also enjoy having the games and cases as putting them on display. Plus I hate how digital content is visible to me. I feel like with all the PSN and XBLA games (150+ of each) with no good ways to sort or organize as I want and I always forget what I even have. If they Ever have a proper online digital shelf (similar to Steam/GOG) I would be much more satisfied.

I used to be a staunch supporter of disc over code, however on the PS4 I have started to ease off that policy and started getting more codes. Granted I have yet to buy a huge game on the PSN, however I am getting a lot more review codes versus copies.

I'm for whatever is cheapest. I have both digital titles and physical copies. At the end of the day, saving money is the best option. Usually if it's the same price I will just get the disc version of a game.

I'm for whatever is cheapest. I have both digital titles and physical copies. At the end of the day, saving money is the best option. Usually if it's the same price I will just get the disc version of a game.
I agree with this, whatever is cheapest is the way I go. I do trade in games, at the moment it's really my best way to continue this hobby. That said it still comes down to price. Until digital becomes a much cheaper method, I'll stick with mostly disc.

disc: can be taken anywhere used for anything and replaced if damaged
digital: way to risky

disc: can be taken anywhere used for anything and replaced if damaged
digital: way to risky

Digital isn't really risky though.

Most of my friends are just getting PS3s or Vitas. They won't be buying PS4s any time soon.

If I buy a disc do I have to put the disc in every time I play it?

It would be better for me if they installed the key data, but they only allowed 1 licence active at a time. I really hate looking for my discs. It's as bad as looking for digitals, except if I"m in a lot of pain from being on my feet all day I have to look all over the house because I don't have room for all the physicals.

Digital isn't really risky though.

Most of my friends are just getting PS3s or Vitas. They won't be buying PS4s any time soon.

It would be better for me if they installed the key data, but they only allowed 1 licence active at a time. I really hate looking for my discs. It's as bad as looking for digitals, except if I"m in a lot of pain from being on my feet all day I have to look all over the house because I don't have room for all the physicals.

@MakaiOokami
everyone has their preferences
and both have their pro's and con's

I guess it is in the eye of the beholder I suppose

I generally flip between digital and retail depending on the title and the amount of use I will get out of it. If it is a FPS game that I know will end up being played over the span of months with random friends, it makes more sense for me to go digital. As instead of having to always swap out the disc to go back to playing a certain title over and over again, I can just run it off of my HDD. For retail games, I usually only prefer to go this route for games that I would actually collect, like Metal Gear or Uncharted.

I generally flip between digital and retail depending on the title and the amount of use I will get out of it. If it is a FPS game that I know will end up being played over the span of months with random friends, it makes more sense for me to go digital. As instead of having to always swap out the disc to go back to playing a certain title over and over again, I can just run it off of my HDD. For retail games, I usually only prefer to go this route for games that I would actually collect, like Metal Gear or Uncharted.
For the PS3 I did digital when ever I was going to have the game running on 2 consoles at once. Whether it's my wife and I playing different consoles together or a friend so that I only needed one copy.

However for PS4, no one's going to have a PS4 and I am not going to more than 1... So hmm...

I like to buy physical copies for collector's editions or GOTY versions, but I like digital titles, too. Sometimes, like in the case of Ni No Kuni, I pre-ordered a physical version for the bonuses.

I rarely trade in games, so it makes more sense for me to buy digital most of the time. I bought a 1tb SSHD for both my PS4 and PS3, so space hasn't become a problem yet. When I had the 120gb (or was it 160? I can't remember) hdd in my PS3, this was particularly convenient. If I needed space, I would just delete the game and download it again later whenever I wanted to play it.

Yes. The only physical copies I have on PS4 right now are Knack (bought it with my PS4), Assassin's Creed IV (Christmas present), and Tomb Raider (wasn't sure if it would be on the PSN or not). Because of my laziness, Assassin's Creed IV has been getting all the physical love lately.

If you never trade games, then digital might be better for you. If you like pre-order bonuses / collector versions from GameStop, Amazon, or Best Buy, then physical is probably better.

I'll probably just do mostly digital, but when Target has Buy 2 Get 1 Free deals, and especially when they have Buy 2 Get 30 percent off coupons during those deals, I'll buy physical.

I'm a staunch supporter of physical media. Downloads have too many variables, like internet connection and speed, hard drive space, etc. plus you can't resell them. If I have a disc, I can platinum it, then flip the game to pay my way towards my next game, meaning disc most always ends up being cheaper.

I'm a staunch supporter of physical media. Downloads have too many variables, like internet connection and speed, hard drive space, etc. plus you can't resell them. If I have a disc, I can platinum it, then flip the game to pay my way towards my next game, meaning disc most always ends up being cheaper.
I don't resell games. I loan them but I won't know anyone who will have a ps4 in the next 2 years. I don't want to do digital upgrades with physical discs. I'll pass on putting a ps3 game in a PS4 just for a liscence.

Boxed copies are so much nicer, love having a collection sitting on my shelf.

But ultimately comes down to which is cheapest, and whether I'd be likely to remote play the game or not (so get digital so can play anywhere without needing to already have the disc in!)

I like the disc strictly for resale value. Games that I own digitally (like GTA V) that I don't play anymore end up getting buried in my download list. Performance wise I haven't seen any difference

I personally prefer discs because of the fact that I can resell them if I need to. Plus, living in an area where I can only get about 3mbps download speed, going all digital just isn't a viable option for me.

Majority of the time I get discs, but I'm more open to digital purchases. The trick for me is finding a game that I will be playing a lot on PS4 with a group. Once I find some of those then I'll likely go digital with them, just like I did with Gundam Extreme vs full boost on PS3.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"