What's your favorite genre? Why?

SNOWMANFLURRY

PSLS Level: Newbie
Personally, for me, it's sandbox, action games, like GTA or Minecraft. What about you wonderful people? Why do you like those genres?

Hack and slash/ action. Hack slash is fun and great for relieving stress, action i like for just running around and goofing off.

Hack slash games i love:
Devil May Cry 1-4
Metal Gear Rising
Sengoku Basara 1-4
Bleach Soul Ressurection
Deadpool

Action Games:
Bayonetta
Resident Evil 1-4 and 6
Metal Gear Solid?

May come as a surprise to some of you, but mine are JRPGs and SRPGs. Used to sprinkle some MMO in there but I rarely get excited for those anymore.

As for the why part, I honestly don't know. I just happened to pick up an RPG way back when and just kept buying them. I get really entangled with the characters and story of the games and it just really makes me enjoy the games.

I'm going to copy the two preceding posts and say that my favorite genres are RPGs and beat-em-up/hack-and-slash/brawler/whatever classifies both Ninja Gaiden and God Hand as the same action genre.

As for why, I can think of a multitude of reasons. I like RPGS (mostly JRPGs) because of the amount of time and dedication that they take, and the stories are very enjoyable to follow (cliche as they are at times). I usually get the best "money spent on game/time spent playing game" ratio out of JRPGs. The other kind of games, I like because of how balls to the wall they are. No other game can give me the same feeling that I get when I successfully intercept Credo's lance with a well-timed devil bringer buster attack in DMC4 (except for maybe landing that Yes Ma'am Kablam on a powerful enemy in God Hand).

I'm going to copy the two preceding posts and say that my favorite genres are RPGs and beat-em-up/hack-and-slash/brawler/whatever classifies both Ninja Gaiden and God Hand as the same action genre.

As for why, I can think of a multitude of reasons. I like RPGS (mostly JRPGs) because of the amount of time and dedication that they take, and the stories are very enjoyable to follow (cliche as they are at times). I usually get the best "money spent on game/time spent playing game" ratio out of JRPGs. The other kind of games, I like because of how balls to the wall they are. No other game can give me the same feeling that I get when I successfully intercept Credo's lance with a well-timed devil bringer buster attack in DMC4 (except for maybe landing that Yes Ma'am Kablam on a powerful enemy in God Hand).

Gotta love jumping into baels mouth as nero and cutting him ip from the inside out and grabbing berial by the head and tossing him......good times

5 years ago I would have said Metroidvania or turn-based RPGs, solely because Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Final Fantasy VIII are my two favorite games of all time. Since then, it's been a lot harder to narrow it down for me.

I enjoy survival horror games, but most of the newer titles are more action than survival (I'm looking at you Resident Evil series). I recently purchased the PS2 classic Siren, and I like that the story is kind of like an offbeat 80s b-horror film with Japanese people in it. PT recently blew my mind by catching me completely off-guard in every way, so I'll look forward to Silent Hills whenever that decides to surface. Daylight was meh, but Outlast is a lot of fun.

Hack-n-slash games are instantly gratifying for me, but about halfway through the trophy grind of a Dynasty Warriors game, I start getting fed up.

My favorite PS3 game was Katamari Forever. I am really hoping for a new entry from that series in the future for PS4. Touch My Katamari on Vita sucks.

5 years ago I would have said Metroidvania or turn-based RPGs, solely because Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Final Fantasy VIII are my two favorite games of all time. Since then, it's been a lot harder to narrow it down for me.

I enjoy survival horror games, but most of the newer titles are more action than survival (I'm looking at you Resident Evil series). I recently purchased the PS2 classic Siren, and I like that the story is kind of like an offbeat 80s b-horror film with Japanese people in it. PT recently blew my mind by catching me completely off-guard in every way, so I'll look forward to Silent Hills whenever that decides to surface. Daylight was meh, but Outlast is a lot of fun.

Hack-n-slash games are instantly gratifying for me, but about halfway through the trophy grind of a Dynasty Warriors game, I start getting fed up.

My favorite PS3 game was Katamari Forever. I am really hoping for a new entry from that series in the future for PS4. Touch My Katamari on Vita sucks.

Is dynasty warriors the only hack and slash game you play or have you tried others?

The original japanese version of siren thats on the psn store is creepy as hell, i can't play it or fatal frame at night, actually you might like fatal frame.
Siren almost wasn't allowed in stores because of how intense it was and one if it's sequels was actually never made it to stores because it was to intense. The us ps3 version of siren which is 12 episodes, was actually pretty good. And the siren space they had on ps home could get really creepy because of the siren game that was there.

Is dynasty warriors the only hack and slash game you play or have you tried others?
I have played others, but the DW series is my favorite.

The original japanese version of siren thats on the psn store is creepy as hell, i can't play it or fatal frame at night, actually you might like fatal frame.
Siren almost wasn't allowed in stores because of how intense it was and one if it's sequels was actually never made it to stores because it was to intense. The us ps3 version of siren which is 12 episodes, was actually pretty good. And the siren space they had on ps home could get really creepy because of the siren game that was there.
One of my friends has all of the JP siren games and offered to let me play them, but I instead opted to buy the PS2 NA one from PSN. I do not have a JP PS2 anyway. hahaha

One of my friends really likes the Fatal Frame series, but I have not found the opportunity to play it yet. I might have to do that. :D

One of my friends has all of the JP siren games and offered to let me play them, but I instead opted to buy the PS2 NA one from PSN. I do not have a JP PS2 anyway. hahaha

One of my friends really likes the Fatal Frame series, but I have not found the opportunity to play it yet. I might have to do that. :D

The controls for fatal frame are tricky at first, but luckily you have the option to modify them and the game is subtitled too. The US version of airen is different story wise, and just as creepy. Still no way i'm gonna play them at night. I tried, and actually had nightmares.

The controls for fatal frame are tricky at first, but luckily you have the option to modify them and the game is subtitled too. The US version of airen is different story wise, and just as creepy. Still no way i'm gonna play them at night. I tried, and actually had nightmares.
Maybe I'll watch a Let's Play or something. :D

Maybe I'll watch a Let's Play or something. :D

I simply recommend inverting the controls and you should be good, other.wise it's best to deacribe things as:
To go forward move push back on the dpad or toggle
To move backwards push forward
Etc. so just sqitch em around an you are good.

One of my friends has all of the JP siren games and offered to let me play them, but I instead opted to buy the PS2 NA one from PSN. I do not have a JP PS2 anyway. hahaha, essentially you already do, because the ps2 version was

I highly recommend sengoku basara, bloodrayne 2, devil may cry 1, 3, and 4 (2 wasn't all that great). Also i guess i should mention that the ps2 version of siren i believe was a worldwide release. So essentially. You have it already lol. The ps3. Version which is more like a sequel (which the fame did have). Is good as well. And ps home has a little multiplayer mini game. Which i found good training.

I highly recommend sengoku basara, bloodrayne 2, devil may cry 1, 3, and 4 (2 wasn't all that great). Also i guess i should mention that the ps2 version of siren i believe was a worldwide release. So essentially. You have it already lol. The ps3. Version which is more like a sequel (which the fame did have). Is good as well. And ps home has a little multiplayer mini game. Which i found good training.
Bloodrayne 2 was fucking awesome! I almost cried when the last Bloodrayne game came out and was different genre altogether.

If I really enjoy Siren, I'll buy the second one on PSN, too.

I never took the time to play any Devil May Cry games, but I might play the one that everyone hates sometime. I think I might have gotten it from Plus at some point maybe? I won't have to worry about it tainting my opinions of the franchise since it will be the first one that I play. :D

Bloodrayne 2 was fucking awesome! I almost cried when the last Bloodrayne game came out and was different genre altogether.

If I really enjoy Siren, I'll buy the second one on PSN, too.

I never took the time to play any Devil May Cry games, but I might play the one that everyone hates sometime. I think I might have gotten it from Plus at some point maybe? I won't have to worry about it tainting my opinions of the franchise since it will be the first one that I play. :D

I played both; the originals were far better. The ninja theory version had nothing going for it and didn't even follow the original storyline. If ipu lile fun challenging games, i recommend trying all 4 first. 2 wasn't the greatest, 1 was the hardest, and 3 and 4 were just frickin awesome.

The ninja theory version had poor graphics , shit storyline, was incredibly vulgar. The character design and personality (or should i say lack of personality) was horrible. They gameplay was shit (half of the moves were taken from other games)99% of that game was so vulgar and disgraceful it wasn't even funny. It is not a game to be played around kids, nor should any kid play it. It has no morals, sold like shit where i live, friends at best buy said nobody wanted it, and gamestop can't get anybody to buy it either. I was so disgusted with it i snapped the disc in half.

I love RPGs, they have everything for me, especially story and a lot of control in what I do. Granted, there are some bad ones with terrible story, gameplay, etc, but when they are good, they are amazing.

I also love hack and slash. So soothing to cut down a horde of enemies without having to put in tons of thought (except on chaos type difficulties!). And they are making the genre so much more interactive now, with a lot of the games giving you freedom to customize characters in a lot of ways. Fun!

And then the games like The Sims, Rollercoaster/Zoo Tycoon, etc. I will never get tired of them.

Oh yeah, RTS is a great one! I loved Warcraft 1-3, and there are other fun similar games, but not having a computer anymore, I never get to play them anymore.

I played both; the originals were far better. The ninja theory version had nothing going for it and didn't even follow the original storyline. If ipu lile fun challenging games, i recommend trying all 4 first. 2 wasn't the greatest, 1 was the hardest, and 3 and 4 were just frickin awesome.

The ninja theory version had poor graphics , shit storyline, was incredibly vulgar. The character design and personality (or should i say lack of personality) was horrible. They gameplay was shit (half of the moves were taken from other games)99% of that game was so vulgar and disgraceful it wasn't even funny. It is not a game to be played around kids, nor should any kid play it. It has no morals, sold like shit where i live, friends at best buy said nobody wanted it, and gamestop can't get anybody to buy it either. I was so disgusted with it i snapped the disc in half.

That seems a little harsh. You could've sold it to Gamestop, they can't keep you from getting the right trade value. It's better than ripping the disc apart.

That seems a little harsh. You could've sold it to Gamestop, they can't keep you from getting the right trade value. It's better than ripping the disc apart.

The game was crap if i were able to i would've flushed it down the toilet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enzo0
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"