When did you become a matured gamer

chichi

PSLS Level: Bronze
I'm pretty sure that most of us first started playing video games just for having fun. we may have paid attention to some of the gameplay and/or story but the biggest reason why we played games was simply because it was entertaining.

But as we grow and learn more things we also begin to evolve as a gamer.
What game made you realize that you are not just playing video games for the "fun". That you started to get emotionally invested in the game. Where in you really cared about the characters?

Maturing as a gamer could also mean, you started to make budgets for you video games. Or you started to follow video gaming news.

For me it's FF7.

It is the first JRPG that I played and it was the first game that I really cared about. It's also the game that made me realize that video games can tell a great story.

After playing this game i began comparing video games to one another. I started looking for depth in a story, characters to care about, plot lines, and all other video game related things that we like to read in video game reviews.

The first game I actually got really emotionally invested in, to the point of a dusty room causing tears was FFX. Now, I wouldn't call myself a matured gamer, because let's be honest, I am far from mature :)

I'm the same as @chichi. It was definitely FF7 that matured my tastes and told me that games were truly something special and not just toys. From there on out, it's history.

Mine started early on. The earliest I can recall I guess would be on the SNES. Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, E.V.O. The Search for Eden, Illusion of Gaia, and so much more after that. Really, in a technical sense, I've always been a "mature" gamer. I suppose between the ages of 4 and 9 were "innocent" years where I played for endless fun. Almost as far back as I can recall I have invested myself into the worlds of the games. Become the hero. Savior of the world. It is a big part of why I continued to play games and why I fight so vehemently for the values that age of gaming instilled.

Mine started early on. The earliest I can recall I guess would be on the SNES. Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, E.V.O. The Search for Eden, Illusion of Gaia, and so much more after that. Really, in a technical sense, I've always been a "mature" gamer. I suppose between the ages of 4 and 9 were "innocent" years where I played for endless fun. Almost as far back as I can recall I have invested myself into the worlds of the games. Become the hero. Savior of the world. It is a big part of why I continued to play games and why I fight so vehemently for the values that age of gaming instilled.
pretty much the exact same games.

Not E.V.O. the search for Eden, never heard of it, but Mega Man 7 and 10 had a huge impact on me. Maybe 8 or 9?

never been emotionally involved in a game, I play games for fun
But you do have to budget, and you are looking for gaming news. You are more invested than "OMG CALL OF DUTY, MADDEN, FIFA! PRE-ORDER!" and your done with your gaming purchases till next year.

As far as emotional investment and looking beyond pure entertainment, I'd probably have to say I'm on the FF7 bandwagon. Or possibly FF4 (2 on the SNES), since I think I played that before 7... But as far as just becoming more of a (hard?)core gamer, it might've been Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, I'm thinking. Also responsible for getting me into RPG's in general.

At first I would have to say Final Fantasy VII, but that was until I played Final Fantasy VIII. The story alone in Final Fantasy VIII was the probably my favorite of all time in a video game. It involved suspense, action, and even had a love story throughout it. It was perfect, and still is IMO. Another game that surprised me was on the Xbox 360, Lost Odyssey. While it didn't feature voice acting or anything to that nature, the game was fantastic, and many of the stories it presented throughout it made you care for the characters and even the people that you encountered throughout the game.

At first I would have to say Final Fantasy VII, but that was until I played Final Fantasy VIII. The story alone in Final Fantasy VIII was the probably my favorite of all time in a video game. It involved suspense, action, and even had a love story throughout it. It was perfect, and still is IMO. Another game that surprised me was on the Xbox 360, Lost Odyssey. While it didn't feature voice acting or anything to that nature, the game was fantastic, and many of the stories it presented throughout it made you care for the characters and even the people that you encountered throughout the game.
ff8 had a very good story in it (aside from the amnesia thing, happening on EVERY FREAKING PLAYABLE-CHARACTER). But to me, i saw it as a love story in a final fantasy setting, instead of a final fantasy game with a love story in it. I hope it did not sound very confusing.

ff8 had a very good story in it (aside from the amnesia thing, happening on EVERY FREAKING PLAYABLE-CHARACTER). But to me, i saw it as a love story in a final fantasy setting, instead of a final fantasy game with a love story in it. I hope it did not sound very confusing.
Not at all, it makes perfect sense.

I either was always a mature gamer or never a mature gamer. The verdict is still out on that one, but seriously games for me have never changed. I was always involved with them on the same maturity level. I can say though about 10 years ago I acknowledged that I am a curmudgeon gamer, and a little too cynical for my own good.

Try Tales of Graces F. I've heard good things about Tales of Xilia too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"