How'd You Start Your Playstation Voyage?

What would you call yourself a fanboy/girl of?

• Total voters

ahchurro11

PSLS Level: Bronze
I's obvious that everyone has a beginning. What this forum is about is when you joined the Playstation Bandwagon, as it were. Whether from a friend, family purchase, or just on a whim, I want to hear it.

For me, it was rather sporadic until the PS3. I remember having a PS1 but I stuck to the N64 more. The same happened with the next generation and would have happened a third time had COD (of all things) caught my interest. After realizing that it wasn't my type of game quickly, I started seeing what else the PS3 had to offer. I started with established franchises and similar games, such as Sonic Generations and LBP. Once I started branching out of my territory, as well as find out about the Japanese game library, I started getting really into owning a PS3. That led me to getting a Vita as well (with an extra set of reasons). Now I am were I am; a proud Nintendo and Sony fanboy who enjoys seeing what each side offers and just has fun with videogames overall.

I was honestly a Nintendo fanboy until one day my house got broken into and when we got our insurance money, instead of re-buying a Sega Genesis, I picked up a PlayStation 1 and the rest is history. I am now a huge Sony fanboy that can somewhat tolerate the Xbone but downright despises the Wii U for many many reason that I won't go into today.

Well I started out largely as a Nintendo fanboy I guess, but transitioned into a Sony fanboy, if I'm much of a fanboy at all. While my first console I remember playing was the Atari 2600, my family owned a NES and SNES so I grew up with Nintendo largely. My brother wound up buying a PS1 though and so I played on it quite a bit too, but I also tended to play a lot on the PC at that point.

So from late high school and throughout college I would mostly be a PC gamer. It just made more sense. I didn't have the money to spend on a console and I needed a PC for school so it made sense to do most of my playing on the PC. My brothers did buy a PS2 while I was at college so I would play occasionally when I was back on breaks and whatnot, but it wasn't nearly as much as some of the other consoles.

After graduating college I bought a PS2 about a year or so before the PS3 was coming out and I really got into playing games on it again. So that's pretty much what got be hooked on the PlayStation. I've thought about getting an XBox because most of my college friends went that route, but my brothers both went the PlayStation route and I already had knowledge of the PlayStation brand so I went that route. I purchased a PS3 about a year or so after launch and a PS4 at the beginning of this year. I gave Nintendo another shot with the Wii and while I did enjoy playing on it, it also quickly became the console to gather dust and the Wii U didn't impress enough to give them another shot.

I do still play PC occasionally as well, but the PS3 and PS4 are my go to non-handheld gaming machines.

I was purely a Nintendo kid up until my early teens, we got our first PC and after some months on the internet I discovered emulation. At first I only downloaded the PS emulator because there was a Dragon Ball game I wanted to play, but it turned out to be pretty terrible and I ended up renting some games at a local shop (I miss you, Major Players). The next two years were spent burning copies of rented games on to CDs, a practice I adopted after realizing that 5 days were not going to be enough time for me to finish games like Legend of Legaia and Final Fantasy IX (those 2 for 1 Tuesday rentals didn't help my predicament either).

Eventually I got a PS2 and by that time it was a lot easier for me to buy games or finish the ones I rented, so I didn't have to resort to piracy anymore. Been an avid Playstation user ever since, mostly for the great Japanese games that Nintendo doesn't get and that aren't available on PC.

I had a Dreamcast. The Dreamcast started to dry up as far as games were concerned, I was going to get an Xbox because of Shenmue 2.

Then I was at a Gamestop. I saw a controller. I was in some room. No enemies. Started slashing my sword. Wow this looks cool. Then I pressed another button. Started shooting guns. Found out that I could do all sorts of different combos with the sword.

I look for a name. "Devil May Cry"

From then on I've been a Playstation kinda person.

I play on Nintendo stuff on occasion but the PS2 was a beast. But once the PS3 hit it's stride... man.. just this week alone. So many great, amazing games. So cheap.

I was actually bitter at the PS2. I blamed it for killing the Dreamcast. Then I found out later on in life after I had completely accepted the PS2, that the Xbox Controller was a copy of the Dreamcast one. The box shape was similar. Then I remembered the Dreamcast was powered by Windows ME.

Now I know the truth. We didn't have an awesome Dreamcast 2, because Microsoft made an Xbox. Since they took over... well... they didn't really get the super interesting games like the Dreamcast did, and they really didn't even bother to make great games.

The Xbox was the Dreamcast 2 but with almost nothing the Dreamcast 2 would have had on its gaming library.

When I was an infant, my parents had an Atari 2600, but my first conscious memory of playing video games was on the NES. Super Mario, Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy, Faxanadu, Castlevania, and Star Tropics were my jam as a child. I played a lot of other stuff, too, but those were the core of what got me into the things that I play now.

When the SNES came out, I remember waking up one morning to my mother playing Super Castlevania IV. It was the coolest game I had ever seen at the time. I was a serious Nintendo fanboy as a child. That is, until a few years later...

I remember coming out of my bedroom one night and my dad had was playing Sonic 2 on Sega Genesis. My SNES didn't matter as much at that point. I had already finished my Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Castlevania, Mega Man X / X2 and whatever other games like F-Zero and Street Fighter II Turbo - there was a new guy in town. I had already been watching Sonic on tv, so I was acquainted with the character. I just wanted to spin and do cool shit. I ended up with several Sega games, including all of the Sonic games for the platform, Vectorman, the first Mortal Kombat, and maybe 20 or so others. Then my parents bought the 32X and Sega CD add-ons. Sonic CD is still my favorite Sonic game.

A few years later, my dad finally bought me a PlayStation. It was a used console that came with Command and Conquer: Red Alert and a demo disc, but I was grateful. My best friend had a PlayStation, so I would borrow his games all the time until my parents bought me my two favorite games of all time - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Final Fantasy VIII. I remember reading about Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy VII in GamePro magazine, but FFVIII was new when I was given the choice. I decided on the new game. :D

Next came a Nintendo 64. My dad got it for himself because he wanted to play racing games. That was cool, but I beat the shit out of some Zelda, Mario, Castlevania, Pokemon Stadium, and Banjo Kazooie on there! I had Mario Kart 64 and Goldeneye, but those were multiplayer games for me. I've always predominantly been a single player gamer, so that is where I was really happy.

I later had a Dreamcast, and I loved it. I only had like 6 games for it before I could nothing but sports games in stores, but I really enjoyed my Dreamcast. Several years later I found out about the DC homebrew / emu scene, so I used my Dreamcast to play SNES RPGs that my parents never bought me. I thought it was awesome that I did not need a mod chip to play backups. I think that is really why Sega went under - gamers got smart and Sony put a DVD player in the PS2!

I also had a PS2. I'm not going into that story - but I played it for a long time before I bought a PS3. My brother got the first Xbox for Christmas one year. I liked Tetris Worlds, but I otherwise hated all of his Xbox games. They were boring and the controller was too big for my comfort. Plus, I already had several PS2 games that needed to be played.

I got a Gamecube for Christmas one year with the Legend of Zelda Collection and the Wind Waker. I had a lot of fun playing Gamecube games, and Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem is still my favorite horror game of all time.

I bought my wife (then-girlfriend) a Wii for Christmas the year that I moved in with her. I had bought myself a PS3 on Black Friday that year, but she wanted to play some crazy shit on Wii. I didn't mind. After getting bored with several Wii games, I played Muramasa: The Demon Blade, and it became my favorite Wii game. I'm pretty sure it was the last game I played on Wii. My PS3 was all that was important to me at that point. I had been playing my old roommate's PS3 for a few years, but I moved 14 hours away from him with my dated PS2 and Gamecube. It was time for some PS3 games on my own terms!

I never owned an Xbox 360. I had friends who did, but they never bought any games that I liked besides Guitar Hero and Rock Band. I never felt the urge to buy one for that reason alone. It just didn't appeal to me.

Now I have a PS3, PS4, Vita, Wii, and 3DSXL at my house. I primarily play Vita and PS4.

Oh, and my mother still has all of my old Nintendo consoles and games. She plays them regularly, along with my old Sega Genesis / 32X / CD games.

We answered this question on the main website if yall haven't seen it.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/09/17/ask-psls-playstation-origins/
Thanks. I just realized that I might have written a blog entry up there. I should have only said,
"I was like 9. Dad came home one day with a used PS1 and Command and Conquer: Red Alert. Once I figured out that nukes were game-breaking on the Soviets disc, I had to have a new game. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Final Fantasy VIII subsequently became my saviors, though Resident Evil: Director's Cut, Clock Tower, Intelligent Qube, Metal Gear Solid, and a fuckload of RPGs significantly shaped my outlook on video games for the rest of my life. I have owned every PS console since then."

My parents weren't too keen on buying me a PS2 as a child, so I mainly played at my cousin's and my best friend's house.

My cousin was into Dragon Ball Z games, the Jak & Daxter series, as well as the Tony Hawk games. My best friend on the other hand didn't have that many games but did have one that I replayed the beginning of all the time. (Memory Cards. I don't miss having to buy them.)

Those games stuck with me and eventually when I got my own PS2, I bought Spider-man 3. (Horrendous game. No where near as good as it's predecessor.)
In 2009, I bought a PS3 and I slowly became interested in the videogame industry. I am now an avid reader of a lot of sites and follow news.
Then, most recently, I bought a PS4 on day one. And, here I am now.

My parents weren't too keen on buying me a PS2 as a child, so I mainly played at my cousin's and my best friend's house.

My cousin was into Dragon Ball Z games, the Jak & Daxter series, as well as the Tony Hawk games. My best friend on the other hand didn't have that many games but did have one that I replayed the beginning of all the time. (Memory Cards. I don't miss having to buy them.)

Those games stuck with me and eventually when I got my own PS2, I bought Spider-man 3. (Horrendous game. No where near as good as it's predecessor.)
In 2009, I bought a PS3 and I slowly became interested in the videogame industry. I am now an avid reader of a lot of sites and follow news.
Then, most recently, I bought a PS4 on day one. And, here I am now.
Did they want you to do sports instead?

Did they want you to do sports instead?

No, my parents weren't like that thankfully.

I actually played baseball for a while until I just didn't like it anymore and they accepted wholeheartedly that I didn't want to do it anymore, even though my father always had high hopes for me in it.

They are just a bit older and didn't grow up in a generation riddled with technology.

So, it was just as foreign concept to them. My father did play an Atari back when he was a kid, but that was as far as videogames went for him.

I started gaming on PSone..

that time buying piracy games was the norm.. (at least in my country) only those who are rich bought original games..

The piracy carried on to PS2.. It was till PS3 era that i bought original games and the piracy era ended.. No one was selling pirated PS3 games "openly". The start of PSN pretty much killed the piracy.

Last edited:
I started gaming on PSone..

that time buying piracy games was the norm.. (at least in my country) only those who are rich bought original games..

The piracy carried on to PS2.. It was till PS3 era that i bought original games and the piracy era ended.. No one was selling pirated PS3 games "openly". The start of PSN pretty much killed the piracy.
Lots of great cheap games too. Hopefully your country got a lot of the best ones.

I was a big Nintendo kid, I lived off Super Nintendo with super Mario world and the toy story video game. Dad surprised me one year at Christmas with a PSx and I got Cool Boarders 2, tony hawk's pro skater, and crash bandicoot and I still play those games to this day (thank you ps vita/PS3). Later on I got tekken, megaman legends and metal gear solid (parents never knew I had it, they would have killed me if I played a rated M game, gotta love the uncle that buys you mature rated games and is like "don't tell your parents").

My Story: I was like 6 to 7 years old and on second grade. For that christmas my mom decided to buy me a ps1 because all the other kids of her friends had one and all I had was toys and toys so she wanted to see if I was into gaming on PS1. That was the beginning of the end hahaha. I opened my PS1 that day along with SpiderMan and Spyro games. The first that I played was the Spiderman one. At first I did not understand half of the story and all I did was kick bad guys and swing around for hours. After that some months after or a year maybe my parents bought me MGS1 ( another big mistake for them and humanity because now I play them all!!!)

That game was frustrating for me because I was used to kids games and MGS1 was hard hard for me. I played a lot of games and soon after that PS2 came and I got one for christmas.

The point is that because of the curiosity of my mother, I became what I am now, a GAMER. Now my PS1 is broken, doesnt turn on, bad cables and all that but still I cannot trash it. Its so valuable to me. Im 20 years old now loving gaming the same way or more than when I was 6 years old. Its been 14 years of fighting thugs, dragons, super villians, orcs, devils, gods, animals, beasts, aliens and you know what??? I dont regret being a gamer. I do not regret that time that I used for gaming. I could be a far worse person on the streets, killing using or selling drugs, not studying, being a bad son or anything. I guess I turn out fine. I have been always a spot for shooting coments about what I like but I dont care because that is who I am. Gaming and my family are my life. I dare even Kratos to try to take that from me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"