Need Turn-Based RPG/JRPG Suggestions (PS4/Vita)

TehMidcap

PSLS Level: Newbie
I've been wanting to get my teeth into a good turn based RPG in a while because it has been a long time... In fact I think the last one I really played was my second playthrough of Chrono Trigger a few years ago. Chrono Trigger/Final Fantasy VII/Final Fantasy V are probably my favorites that I have played thus far... I'm okay with the Active Time Battle as long as it's done well and still turn based in essence (I remember playing a demo for FF XIII-2 and the combat didn't feel like Final Fantasy at all and I was disappointed).

I would prefer something to play on my PS4 though Vita would be okay too. I'd like something that has at least a halfway decent storyline, and that'll take at least a solid 30 hours of play to finish up. I'd also prefer something with a more serious/dramatic tone, but that can be disregarded if the gameplay/plot are strong enough.

I have never played Disgaea or Persona before, though I have contemplated picking up a used copy of Persona 4 Golden on Ebay. I also can't remember if I've fully played through FF X-2 or not though something tells me I tried to when it was new and didn't enjoy it as much as X. I'd prefer playing something completely new (as tempted as I have been to get the X/X-2 remasters).

How's Final Fantasy Type 0 (it's one of the only FFs I haven't played aside from the 13s) Would I like Disgaea 5? Should I wait for Persona 5, or try 4 Golden? Are there any other games or series that I'm unaware of?

Any input from avid JRPG fans would be great, as I haven't been following the genre much lately.

I've been out of the JRPG game for quite some time. In fact, I have really only played JRPGs that didn't do it for me like FFXIII.

That said, Persona 4 Golden is a must. Great gameplay, visuals and depth. Plenty of hours on the Vita.

Did you play Ni No Kuni by any chance?

Nope, never even heard of it.

Yeah I'll have to try to pick up a copy of Persona 4 Golden, it seems to be fairly widely agreed upon as one of if not the best Vita games. From what I've seen Persona 5 at least look interesting... Just don't know anything about the series at all.

I'm also curious if Chrono Cross is as good as Trigger, because I missed that one. Not sure if it's available as a PSOne classic on Vita or not but I think I remember seeing it.

Wow! Never heard of Ni No Kuni?!

It's a PlayStation 3 exclusive JRPG from Level-5 and Studio Ghibli.

For the record, are (turn-based) strat-RPG's valid suggestions? Either way, I can't think of much from recent years, but I've a title or two in mind from the Classics lineup that you could grab on the Vita.

Wow! Never heard of Ni No Kuni?!

It's a PlayStation 3 exclusive JRPG from Level-5 and Studio Ghibli.

Sadly I never owned a PS3, and my interest in gaming fell off during the last 4-5 years until purchasing my PS4... I think I may pick up a used PS3 sometime though, because there are some PSOne classics I'd like to play (mainly fighting games that I can use my PS3/PS4 fightstick with).

@Chalryn, that'd be fine, provided they're ones that would be new to me.

The Vita seems to be getting its fair share of JRPGs. Wish I could be more help in that department.

@Chalryn, that'd be fine, provided they're ones that would be new to me.
In that case, I have to recommend Front Mission 3. Here's a sample of some gameplay, but in summary: turn-based strategic combat with mechs. The story? Maybe not the best, but it's fairly interesting, and playing both scenarios gives a nice perspective of both sides of it. (Not to mention plenty of playtime.) The characters? Eh, mostly not that great. But the combat? The strategy? The customization? Fantastic. And as a small extra: it's one of the cheaper PSOne Classics, at only $6 (occasionally on sale for less).

Or, for a more traditional JRPG, there's always Suikoden, if you're not yet familiar with the series. There can never be too much mention of Suikoden in a JRPG topic.

Last edited:
Turn based JRPG seems like a thing of the past.. now is all about real time combat.
In the mainstream, yeah, this is more or less true. On the indie side, however, there are still a ton of supporters of the genre keeping the style we grew up with alive.

Back on topic, though, I shared some rather dated titles before, and thought of something more recent that may be worth giving a shot: the Atelier series. (Keep in mind, I'm referring strictly to the PS3 titles here, as I hadn't played any before them.) The games don't have any epic, deep stories to them or anything, but instead opt for a (mostly) lighthearted approach, albeit with some personal drama among characters here and there. Gameplay-wise, if you don't mind a lot of item collection/crafting (albeit not as excessive as in many MMO's), the games do feature a turn-based battle system. This system was extremely simple in earlier titles, and gradually had more functionality added to it with each entry to the franchise, but has recently become something really praiseworthy (most noticeable as of Atelier Escha & Logy), which I imagine any fan of classic turn-based battles should very much enjoy.

I would most strongly suggest checking out the Dusk trilogy (Atelier Ayesha, Escha & Logy, and Shallie), although the Arland trilogy bundle did recently get a US release, if you'd like to try that. Keep in mind: the worlds -- and, to a lesser extent, stories -- of each trilogy's titles are connected, but each trilogy has its own world. No worries about missing anything if you decide to skip a trilogy, although you may find yourself feeling out of the loop at times if you skip a game within a trilogy. Alternatively, the newest entry, Atelier Sophie, is coming out in Japan later this month, so if you want to wait for that to be localized, you can start with the most recent title of the franchise.

Rogue Galaxy
Dark Cloud if you hate yourself and want to really have a challenge.
Grab the Citizens of Earth demo if you liked the kind of game Earthbound was.
FFVII PC port was just re-released
Armello might suffice
Child of Light if there's a demo try it
Costume Quest 2
Pier Solar and the Great Architects
Dragon Book Fantasy
Disgaea series (Disgaea 5 demo try it)
Tales of Zesteria

Keep an eye out for JRPGs on the Vita that go on sale. Snatch 'em when they get down to $15-20. Hyper Neptunia series is ok, Atelier is ok, but if you've been out of gaming for the past 5 years hard to do recommendations.

Rogue Galaxy
Dark Cloud if you hate yourself and want to really have a challenge.
Grab the Citizens of Earth demo if you liked the kind of game Earthbound was.
FFVII PC port was just re-released
Armello might suffice
Child of Light if there's a demo try it
Costume Quest 2
Pier Solar and the Great Architects
Dragon Book Fantasy
Disgaea series (Disgaea 5 demo try it)
Tales of Zesteria

Keep an eye out for JRPGs on the Vita that go on sale. Snatch 'em when they get down to $15-20. Hyper Neptunia series is ok, Atelier is ok, but if you've been out of gaming for the past 5 years hard to do recommendations.

the only JRPG developed for PS4 is only Disgaea 5...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"