Toukiden: The Age of Demons

xDUMPWEEDx

PSLS Level: Newbie
eJaofrz.png

This game looks awesome. I've been waiting on picking up a Vita for a while but now with the upcoming Slim + Borderlands 2 + Toukiden + the sizable Vita library now means I can't pass the Vita up anymore. This game is a brand new IP from the TecmoKoei/Dynasty Warriors teams and I think it will continue to get better and better. It sold very well in Japan and is getting great reception throughout the rest of the World.

Check it out for yourself!
Gameplay trailer by IGN:

Weapons trailers:

Bow:

Spear:

Flail:

Sword:

Twin blades(Daggers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKjyFtWopW4

Fists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlRnBoYYtRA

Release date: 11/14 February 2014
Genre: Action
Players: Single player
Multiplayer: Online mode is available to allow for 4 player co-op to finish various missions
Official Website

Story
An age of peace comes to a terrifying end when a gateway from the Otherworld, home of the Oni, results in hordes of Oni flooding into the human world. This became known as the Awakening.
It is the mission of the Slayers to slay the Oni and bring peace once again to the world.

Introduction:
Toukiden is an action game from KOEI Tecmo creators of the Musou series. Players create a character (Slayer) and travel through battle fields similar to ones in Musou games, completing missions. These missions can either be defeating a set number of Onis, or clearing a field from Onis, etc. Along the way they can collect items which they can then use to craft equipment to strengthen their character.
Players can also play some of the game’s missions with up to 3 other players via online.
Note that the demo of the game doesn't feature some of the elements and features that the full game has such as increased limit to stored items and multiple save slots.

Game play features
Character creation:
Can choose between a male or female character and customize their hair and facial appearance. You can change the hair color of your character within the game at any time by visiting your room.

Purification:
Upon killing various Onis, players can purify them (Hold R) to get items from them which they can then be used in crafting equipment.
When battling stronger or larger Onis, players can cause some of their limbs or body parts to fall off, if purified they will weaken the Oni allowing for it to be defeated much faster. However should a body part regenerate, the battle will be prolonged.

Mitama:
Mitama are the souls of notable heroes from Japanese history, they can be ‘equipped’ to your weapon to gain extra (passive) abilities such as increased attack power or faster health regeneration. Various Mitama can be acquired from slaying stronger Onis, and various weapons can be equipped with more than 1 Mitama.
Mitamas also offer additional abilities (Boosts) during gameplay by holding R when stationary and choosing which ‘buff’ to have active such as increased attack power or the ability to ‘leech’ health from attacking enemies.
The game states there to be more than 200 Mitama to collect, allowing the player to customize their abilities set to their preference.
When on battle fields, you can recover the number of Boosts you can use by ‘praying’ at certain glowing stones.
For more details on Mitamas, refer to the Official Website’s Mitama section

Click the link below for a list of where to find certain Mitama, but be warned that it may contain some mild spoilers, so better to check this spreadsheet if you just want to clean up on any missing Mitamas
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...=sharing#gid=0

Health and stamina:
At the top of the screen players will see their health and stamina bars. Both can be extended and increased using items and mitama. Upon taking damage players can recover some health from the damage taken over a short period of time.
Stamina is consumed when attack, dodging or running, and recovers when not performing any action, but can be recovered quickly by holding R1 while stationary.

Movement: Press the X button to perform a rolling dodge, while holding R then moving will make your character run. Both of these consume stamina.
Take note that you can cancel an attack into a dodge roll, but it won’t actually occur until the attack animation ends, this is the case in the demo at least, but it’s not a major issue once you’ve gotten used to it.

Relationships:
In the full game speaking with various NPCs and allies and completing missions with or for them will increase your relationship with them.

Weapons
The game offers players a choice of 6 weapons which they can purchase and equip at anytime during their play and each with their own unique properties and moves. Any attacks or actions using a weapon will consume stamina.
Next to the health bar is a circle that fills up as you attack, once full, you can press Triangle+O to unleash a powerful attack that deals big damage on enemies.

The game has a tutorial mode which can showcase the various moves each weapon can do. Here's a basic rundown of them for now:
  • Long sword: Standard weapon with versatile attack combinations. By pressing the circle button and attacking an enemy or enemies they will become surrounded by an aura. Pressing the circle button will have you sheath the sword and inflict damage on enemies based on the color of the aura they had before sheathing.
  • Bow: A long range weapon with various attack options, and the player can move while using the bow to attack by holding the R button. Pressing Square will you have fire a single arrow, you can also hold the button to charge it up.
    The Triangle attack has 3 levels, gained by pressing the button twice or thrice. Pressing it twice will have five arrows fired horizontally in front of you, while the 3rd level will have the arrow you fire ‘explode’ and spread damage over the area surrounding the targeted enemy.
    The O attack will allow you to target enemies and fire homing arrows at them, but this attack consumes the most stamina.
  • Gauntlets: Close range weapon, and boasting the strongest attack stat in the game. The Triangle button can be charged to inflict fire damage on the enemy which does damage over time, in addition holding Square+X will make you enter a block animation lessening the damage you would take from an enemy's attack.
    The biggest negative to this weapon is that its attacks are slow making getting used to this weapon to take a while.
  • Chain and Sickle: Pressing Square will attack with the chain which has a good long range, while Triangle will attack with the sickle. The chain attack has the longest range of the melee weapons.
  • Daggers: Another short range weapon but unlike the gauntlets is faster. Pressing the Triangle button will launch you into the air and you can continue attacking your enemies.
    You can remain airborne damaging opponents with your attacks by pressing Triangle while in the air. You can continue an airborne assault for as long as you have Stamina to perform attacks or actions with.
    Note that the Daggers are the weakest weapons in the game.
  • Spear: The Spear is considered one of the best weapons in the game, due in part to its ‘Brace’ ability.
    Attack-wise it boasts good stats being among the stronger weapons in the game, Square will do a straight stabbing attack, while Triangle is a horizontal sweeping attack. Each button can be pressed 3 times for a short combo.
    The O attack will have you aim your spear to throw at your enemy for big damage.
    Brace is done by holding Square+X, doing so will have your character crouch with their spear held in front of them, any enemy rushing towards you will take damage, making it effective against enemies who have a ramming attack such as the Manhunter.

Last edited:
What a post! Lol. In all seriousness though the game looks great. Glad to see that you are finally getting a Vita, well worth it.

Eyes are still wide from after scrolling down. Did not expect that behemoth. Not really going to read it. The fewer games I want at the moment the better.

Looks Monster Hunter style though.

I have the game and should have my review up soon. This is a Monster Hunter-Ragnarok Odyssey type game with some Soul Sacrifice blended in. It is a good addition to the library but could use just a bit more EPIC.

Played the demo and really enjoyed it. I plan to grab it at some point, but I want to finish Soul Sacrifice first.

Cam, would you say this is better than. Soul Sacrifice?

Well considering I thought Soul Sacrifice was kind of meh, yes it is better in my opinion
I got it free for plus. So a game that I wanted to try that's free, is better than a game I have to drop 40 down on and might or might not like. By the time I get my fill of Soul Sacrifice maybe Toukiden will be reasonable. Kinda hard to start 2 big old monster games at once. Most people will burn out too quickly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"