Wii U

I've used the Gamepad and definitely have no problems with it. It was surprisingly comfortable to hold. I just think its harder to make the casual market want it like they did the Wii, cause that was a huge market Nintendo was able to tap into back then.

But I have to agree with you with devs becoming lazier. Games are expected to come addled with bugs upon release. And the PS3 was all but neglected simply because devs didn't want to put the extra work into potentially making their games even better. They just settled for the ease of use the 360 offerred.
The same is probably happening to the Wii U.
See I've never really sat down and tried using the Gamepad. I was wondering if a lot of people were considering it way too bulky. Looks as if that is not the case.

I have tried the Wii-U and personally I did not like the game pad. I am that glad some the developers are giving the option not to use the pad as to me it not practical. I am sure if Nintendo didn't force the pad for the Wii-U, much like the Xbox One with Kinect, that it would sell better for one and two being optional they would be better off. As far the developers being lazy that I agree with though... Thief comes to mind.

Yeah I would say Nintendo should think about offering a bundle without the gamepad so that they can offer them at a lower price, but they do have some games that actually require the pad.

It might be seen as an admission that the gamepad is irrelevant to the Wii U experience, but seeing as they released a 3D-less 3DS (2DS), I can't see them being against that idea.

See I've never really sat down and tried using the Gamepad. I was wondering if a lot of people were considering it way too bulky. Looks as if that is not the case.

Definitely not. It sure does look like it should be unweildy but it sits very nicely in the hands.

Its also pretty lightweight, and that's after using only consoles set up at Target, with an extra little thingy attached to keep them tied to the booth.

The only thing I had to moderately adjust to was the placement of the analog sticks. Which took a whole five minutes. I've never once thought it significantly important where the d-pad and left stick were placed. Either way, you have to take your thumb off of one to use the other.

For games that use the Gamepad solely as a second screen, I prefer using the Pro Controller. That is provided the game allows us to use the Pro Controller as a replacement for Player 1's Gamepad. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze lets both players use any controller setup they wish. That game alone actually drove me to go get another Pro Controller. The fiancee and I frickin' love playing DKC Tropical Freeze.

The gamepad def. was not as uncomfortable as I thought it would be upon first seeing it. It's like holding a Game Gear in your hand, so it's not that bad. I just feel that the pad throws off a lot of potential buyers who liked the Wii for it's simplicity and ease to pick up. I can see them going to the store, seeing that huge gamepad, and being scared off from purchasing it.

Let's be honest, soccer mom's are not wanting to deal with that big gamepad.

The gamepad def. was not as uncomfortable as I thought it would be upon first seeing it. It's like holding a Game Gear in your hand, so it's not that bad. I just feel that the pad throws off a lot of potential buyers who liked the Wii for it's simplicity and ease to pick up. I can see them going to the store, seeing that huge gamepad, and being scared off from purchasing it.

Indeed. I can see how those less informed about the console would think the Gamepad might over-complicate their gaming. Do they play it on the TV, or the controller? The answer is usually both simultaneously, but they don't know that. While visiting my local Gamestop, I have even overheard a mom telling her son he doesn't need a camera with his Wii. One of the few times I did a literal facepalm. They headed out before I or an associate could enlighten her.

Oh I remember the Game Gear. I had one lol. :p
But considering I have big hands, I'm sure I'd be ok.

I know most people think this console is a joke. To which I counter with I view you as a joke of a gamer. ;) This little machine is phenomenal. It isn't as powerful as the other two, but it doesn't have to be. Games are ultimately played because they are fun. And fun is exactly what the Wii U provides.

If, like me, you've actually given the Wii U a chance and enjoy it, come on in and discuss it!

Personally, I can acknowledge that each new Mario title is actually different from the last. Any person who really plays them knows this. I can't get enough of Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Star Fox, and the rest of the gang.

Super Mario Bros. U is an amazing title. It has to be one of the best platformers ever made. And it may very well be the best Mario title ever made. Yes, including Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is a phenomenal new entry into the series. It brings back and improves upon the great deal of fun introduced in the original SNES title. Mario Kart 8 is just around the corner and it is slated to be the best entry into the series to date. We can't forget Bayonetta 2 is releasing on Wii U exclusively. Also, Smash Bros. will be releasing this year and there has been nothing but awesomeness shown for it so far.

Nintendo is know, not for childish games, but for providing solid games into their respective genres that provide hours upon hours of replayable fun. No company has done first party titles like Nintendo. And I'd wager that will hold true in the future. There is only one company that has come close to touching them in this aspect. And, well, we're all fans of that one or we wouldn't be on these forums!

So, my True Gamer bretheren, enter unto the other side of Greatness and let us discuss and revel in the insane fun that Nintendo brings to the table!
I think Reggie Fils Aime should step down and let you take over. You talk like a true marketing guru. If you have the kind of presence that people can relate, then maybe Nintendo can get back on the right track.

I think Reggie Fils Aime should step down and let you take over. You talk like a true marketing guru. If you have the kind of presence that people can relate, then maybe Nintendo can get back on the right track.

I can't tell if this is sincere or sarcastic. However, it probably wouldn't work out. Most people come to hate me really quickly because I go against the grain. I generally disagree with the perspectives of modern gamers and they just can't stand that. And, apparently, I sound arrogant because I am capable of typing in a cohesive manner. Most of the time, anyway. I just assume 90% of gamers just can't stand me. And that the other 10% actually have a decent head on their shoulders.

That aside, I wouldn't refuse the position. But I doubt Nintendo will hire a 29 year old gamer living in Tennessee. Especially considering they are too internally focused right now.

My only issue with Nintendo is more about the Software than the hardware. I never liked motion controls and yet, I still purchased a Wii because I was excited to see what they would bring after the GameCube. Sadly, that was when I realized that they had officially stopped trying to really create new core experiences and simply moved on to milking the classics and shoving motion down our throats. At this point, I don't see the need to buy a Nintendo console ever again, at least not until they move back to my demographic. The 3DS on the other hand, I have been thinking about picking up.

At this point, I don't see the need to buy a Nintendo console ever again, at least not until they move back to my demographic. The 3DS on the other hand, I have been thinking about picking up.
I'm in the minority that will buy one eventually just to play Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and such.
But I agree, there is even less reason to buy the Wii U. They don't even seem to know what the Wii U GamePad is even good for.

I think they could have done much better just releasing a new console free of any gimmicks, with a plain Pro Controller as the main controller and naming it the "Super Wii" or anything else that wouldn't cause so much initial confusion to unknowing consumers.
It could have saved it from having such a huge lack of 3rd party games and the great exclusives it has would have helped it float along.

If they did move back to classic mechanics and completely moved away from gimmick gaming, then I might pay more attention to the brand. If they wanted to do a tablet styled controller, I still don't get why they didn't just make the 3DS the gamepad.

My only issue with Nintendo is more about the Software than the hardware. I never liked motion controls and yet, I still purchased a Wii because I was excited to see what they would bring after the GameCube. Sadly, that was when I realized that they had officially stopped trying to really create new core experiences and simply moved on to milking the classics and shoving motion down our throats. At this point, I don't see the need to buy a Nintendo console ever again, at least not until they move back to my demographic. The 3DS on the other hand, I have been thinking about picking up.

And somehow that milking of their first parties is almost always better than the majority of games out there. That is why I love Nintendo as much as I do. They make their games right. The only software issues I see in regards to them come from third parties. They don't want to even try. Which is just ridiculous. There is nothing on the other platforms that are really innovative or unique. There a scant few, but mostly everything out is basically everything we've already seen before. This is why the "same games" argument doesn't work when talking to me. The industry as a whole is rather stagnant, not Nintendo. Same IPs, different games. A genre is a genre is a genre, I say. Hopefully games across all platforms can be a bit more unique and original this generation.

And somehow that milking of their first parties is almost always better than the majority of games out there. That is why I love Nintendo as much as I do. They make their games right. The only software issues I see in regards to them come from third parties. They don't want to even try. Which is just ridiculous. There is nothing on the other platforms that are really innovative or unique. There a scant few, but mostly everything out is basically everything we've already seen before. This is why the "same games" argument doesn't work when talking to me. The industry as a whole is rather stagnant, not Nintendo. Same IPs, different games. A genre is a genre is a genre, I say. Hopefully games across all platforms can be a bit more unique and original this generation.
I wholeheartedly agree with all of this, with the exception of the NSMB series I really don't feel that any of Nintendo's franchises deserve to be called "stagnant". Donkey Kong Country Returns was amazing and didn't even feel feel too much like the SNES games, and Metroid Prime and Kid Icarus: Uprising play far different from their predecessors.

I can't tell if this is sincere or sarcastic. However, it probably wouldn't work out. Most people come to hate me really quickly because I go against the grain. I generally disagree with the perspectives of modern gamers and they just can't stand that. And, apparently, I sound arrogant because I am capable of typing in a cohesive manner. Most of the time, anyway. I just assume 90% of gamers just can't stand me. And that the other 10% actually have a decent head on their shoulders.

That aside, I wouldn't refuse the position. But I doubt Nintendo will hire a 29 year old gamer living in Tennessee. Especially considering they are too internally focused right now.
My post is sincere I assure you. It's just the way I speak

I'll be getting a WiiU soon and was wondering how the Wii games look on it. Does the WiiU do any up converting? I skipped the Wii and don't have any games, but I was thinking of getting a couple Wii games such as Xenoblade Chronicles. I'm assuming, as long as they don't require motion controls, they will play fine with the WiiU game pad.

Last edited:
I'm assuming, as long as they don't require motion controls, they will play fine with the WiiU game pad.

I just got my Wii U and unfortunately you cannot use the gamepad to play Wii software.
All it will do is display the game, but you will need the original Wii remote (motion controller) in order to play them.

Which is kind of a bummer because I always found them to be a bit awkward.

As for how it looks, its pretty sharp. Slightly better looking than PS2 games look on an HDTV

Last edited:
I just got my Wii U and unfortunately you cannot use the game pad to play Wii software.
All it will do is display the game, but you will need the original Wii remote (motion controller) in order to play them.

Which is kind of a bummer because I always found them to be a bit awkward.

As for how it looks, its pretty sharp. Slightly better looking than PS2 games look on an HDTV

Thanks for the info! I hate the Wii remote. It is the main reason I skipped the Wii. (loved the cube) Hopefully they will add controller support in the future. Even support for the Wii U pro controller would be nice.
It seems strange that they would support backwards compatibility with the system but not the controller.

Thanks for the info! I hate the Wii remote. It is the main reason I skipped the Wii. (loved the cube) Hopefully they will add controller support in the future. Even support for the Wii U pro controller would be nice.
It seems strange that they would support backwards compatibility with the system but not the controller.
No problem.
Yeah same here, the motion control fun wore off quickly when I first played on a Wii.

This won't support Wii games either, but there is a Gamecube controller adapter coming later this year. I am definitely getting one along with the new controller :p
http://kotaku.com/wii-u-gamecube-controller-adapter-out-this-holiday-for-1588733203

I have a question for anyone who owns a Wii U.

Does it always give you problems when attempting to sign in or when trying to open up the Miiverse or eShop?
I've only had mine for a week now so it could just be that they have been doing some maintenance lately, but in the past 3 days I've encountered these problems about 10 times now.

Could my Wii U just be faulty? My 2DS is always able to connect properly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"