Favorite PlayStation RPG series

Discussion in 'PlayStation Central' started by Lifewish, Mar 3, 2014.

1. stolenxnametag

stolenxnametag PSLS Level: Kraken PSLS Ambassador

PSN:
    arithrottle
    I wholly agree. :D

Shawdad likes this.
  2. Shawdad

Shawdad PSLS Level: Bronze

PSN:
    Shawdad

Man those were the glory days!

3. Swordsman

Swordsman PSLS Level: Bronze

PSN:
    Swordsman83
    Can only play them on vita. :)

Those days are over long ago. :(

4. Lifewish

Lifewish 중재자 Staff Member

PSN:
    lifewish
    I do miss the days of those epic RPGs for the PS1 and PS2.. where have they gone??

5. MakaiOokami

MakaiOokami PSLS Level: Bronze

Disgaea
    .Hack
    Grandia
    Final Fantasy MMOs

6. MakaiOokami

People keep expecting better graphics, and the people who played RPGs for hundreds of hours got jobs, wives, kids, and eventually they didn't have time to sit down and enjoy the epic RPGs so the good epic ones didn't make enough money to justify the costs, so people stopped making good epic JRPGs at the levels they were and people complain about sprite graphics and all sorts of stuff.

7. Lifewish

PSN:
    lifewish
    I think you can also look at the fact that the teams that did Suikoden are gone and Square Enix is a shell of it's former self.

8. MakaiOokami

It's a shell of its former self because people keep wanting better and better and better graphics, and people aren't buying as many RPGs as they used to. It got to the point to where the games were just to expensive to make, Plus the Xbox 360's piece of shit DVD storage capacity makes it impossible to have an Epic RPG, and the 500GB drives can only take so much.

Final Fantasy XIV is the best FF game made since IX. The story is good, some of the dungeon stories are just crazy, some of the dungeons are really creative and well done, it's the most difficult RPG ever at end game and it's only going to get better in the coming decade hopefully.

Arthur Sataine likes this.
  9. Swordsman

PSN:
    Swordsman83
    FFX is not too shabby either. although i don't really like the english voice acting..

10. Lifewish

PSN:
    lifewish
    It's a shell of its former self because Square Enix stepped away from their comfort zone and stopped listening to their customers. No one wanted XIII-2 or -3 and yet Square Enix continued to make them, even when the sales were crap.

Shawdad likes this.
  11. Shawdad

Shawdad PSLS Level: Bronze

PSN:
    Shawdad

Yeah that boggles my mind that a company would do that. I'll never understand it when a developer stops listening to its customers and makes games that nobody wanted or asked for and expect to make money off of it. Level-5 is now sort of my new Squaresoft.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    stolenxnametag likes this.
  12. Arthur Sataine

Arthur Sataine PSLS Level: Bronze PSLS Ambassador

PSN:
    ArthurSataine
    They have even deluded themselves into thinking Lightning is everyone's favorite character. In my circles, everyone hates her.

Shawdad, Vinomen and stolenxnametag like this.
  13. MakaiOokami

They needed to reuse assets, and release more games for people to buy to keep income going other than just the MMOs.

I know people who bought and loved Xiii, people who hated it, Crotin Platinumed it twice I think. Once in JP once in English. Lots of people say it's actually really good if you understand what's going on properly and aren't just being overly judgemental, and developing other I.P.s especially when they have all these extra assets they had to cut out of the game because Microsoft 360s DVD capacity is shit... well... That's why they did more games for it. Because they can only come out with one every 3-4 years as you can tell by the fact that FFXV is still not out and was in development just as long as FFXIII was.

Japanese development teams are way smaller than U.S. ones. They don't have 10k people working on games so they can crank out a FF every year.

14. Arthur Sataine

Arthur Sataine PSLS Level: Bronze PSLS Ambassador

PSN:
    ArthurSataine
    I've tried to like it. Probably tried too hard. I understood it just fine. It just didn't grab me at all. They have just lost that magic. Well, for the most part anyway. XIV: ARR and Bravely Default captured the magic they once had as Squaresoft.

15. MakaiOokami

You'll have to ask Crotin why he loves those games so much. Unless he got tired of them. Like I said he platinumed it twice, and I've got friends who bought Lightning Returns.

They had to cut out over half the fucking FFXIII to get it on that piece of shit Xbox with 10GB discs that have to hold data redundantly which makes big open worlds nearly impossible which is why GTA IV requires USB drives, as does the most recent Halo, because the hard drives are so freaking price gougingly high.

It's only been recently that the drives have dropped to reasonable $50-$100 range on online retailers. Those ones seem to be knock offs though.

16. Jacky

Jacky PSLS Level: Silver

PSN:
    ScoobyPup01
    In my opinion most rpg knock offs deserve to go one place and one place only and that is.......
    ::looks at trash can in corner::

17. Swordsman

PSN:
    Swordsman83
    hyperdimension series ??

18. stolenxnametag

stolenxnametag PSLS Level: Kraken PSLS Ambassador

PSN:
    arithrottle
    But I liked Dragon Fantasy Books I and II!

19. MakaiOokami

I was talking about the hard drives for the Xbox 360. Not RPG Knock Offs.

stolenxnametag likes this.
  20. Farsendor

Farsendor PSLS Level: Newbie

PSN:
    Farsendor
    Final Fantasy, Legend of Dragoon and not a game series but I hope it becomes one Ni No Kuni