Game of Thrones (TV Show) Season 4 Discussion

Dan Oravasaari

PSLS Level: Bronze
Staff member
As season 4 just kicked off today, I figured we should have a thread for all the Night Watchmen out there. Remember, this is a place to talk about the SHOW ONLY, so no book spoilers or I will have to go all Joffrey on you and pull out the ban-hammer.

That said, I am about to go watch Ep. 1 of Season 4 and will be back with tears or screams of joy - depending on what happens.

Just watched the first episode of season 4. So many things being foreshadowed, it is hard to not jump to conclusions about what might happen. But, I will say that it was weird seeing the recasting for Daario Naharis. Apparently, the actor who originally played him was cast to play a younger Jason Statham in a Transporter prequel, so he had to leave the show.

I thought it was a solid first ep of the season.

I thought it started with a big slap in the face to the Starks with what Tywin did to the sword/direwolf pelt.

I'm really curious to see where the Oberyn story line goes. Probably my favorite scene this ep based on wishful thinking for the future.

The Jaime/Tywin Exchange seemed promising. I wonder if it will set Jaime onto another path.

I really don't like seeing Sansa.

The Cersei scene annoyed me with how the character was ... uh... upset for reasons beyond Jaime's control. I wish Jaime would have smacked her with his pimp hand.

My second Favorite scene was the hound/Arya scene. Great to see her reunited with her old friend. I just wish she did a better job "helping" out the hound.

And I knew the recasting was coming. It just sucks that it had to happen. I get use to seeing certain characters based on the actors that play them. It is what it is but if that guy is going to pull of an younger Jason Statham He's got his work cut out for him. They look nothing a like.

Yeah, I can't believe what they did with the sword. Such a major middle finger to the Starks. But, I do get the feeling like Jaime receiving a Valyrian sword and being shunned by everyone in his family, are precursors to some major changes down the line. I haven't read the books, so i'm just guessing here.

I am a bit unsure about Oberyn still. He seems to have an interesting story, but the actor hasn't sold me yet.

Cersei's response as well as Jeoffry's and Tywin's are just examples of how the Lannister family name is only topical in depth. They love you when you are on top, but once you become a burden or show weakness you are cut out. Hence why things are they way they are at the moment.

Yeah, I kept waiting for Arya to do more than stand there, but I am glad they aren't just making this barely trained 12 year old girl a badass against highly experienced soldiers of the crown.

You're forgetting about the weeks Arya spent training with Syrio. All the Cat herding she did should have been good for a couple cartwheel kicks. Maybe even and back handspring to some kind of sword slash. Seriously, though, I wish that the portion where she stabbed the guy in the chest while he was laying there looked a little more convincing.

I wonder if the bond between Jaime and Tyrion will get even stronger now. They're both black sheep in their fathers eyes now and earlier in Season 1, Jaime was the only one who truly cared about Tyrion.

I read the first book but that took me 3 months off and on. I'd liked to read more and try to catch up before the start of next year but that damn backlog.

I think Jaime and Tyrion will finally have something to bond over, as now Jaime can finally relate to Tyrion. What this means moving forward? It sounds like dissemination within the Lannister family is starting, but will this mean a return of the 'King Slayer' namesake? Can't wait to see how it plays out.

Yeah, I've only read the first chapter of the first book. I want to try and get through them as well, but between my backlog and work, there is never enough time to focus on non-gaming content.

Episode 2: Spoilers!

Holy crap, so the obvious question is who did it? My first guess is Margaery, as Joffrey handed her the cup before things went down hill. Although, the king's fool guy was super quick to be getting out of the area and was by Sansa in no time at all, so he is also a bit suspect. I will say that even though I kept hoping for a 'red wedding' revenge, I wasn't really expecting it to happen. Good move GRRM.

Episode 2: Spoilers!

Holy crap, so the obvious question is who did it? My first guess is Margaery, as Joffrey handed her the cup before things went down hill. Although, the king's fool guy was super quick to be getting out of the area and was by Sansa in no time at all, so he is also a bit suspect. I will say that even though I kept hoping for a 'red wedding' revenge, I wasn't really expecting it to happen. Good move GRRM.
i really want to tell you who did it but i am really resisting. but last night's episode was really very satisfying to see.

OfYHhNS.jpg

No spoilers. This is a tv show thread ONLY. No talking about the books. No hinting at who is who or who did what.

So that ep was a big bag of f'd up. Seeing the last scene so early in the season was pretty surprising but I'll get back t that in a bit.

I knew of Theon's "transformation" before the season aired but to actually see what he had become was pretty shocking. It's for the best. F Theon.

Forget all the fluff in the middle, that ending. That ending to me was like asking for a Power Ranger for your birthday and getting a VR Trooper. I wanted that "ending" to feel so much more satisfying. I've seen horses go down more epically.

So that ep was a big bag of f'd up. Seeing the last scene so early in the season was pretty surprising but I'll get back t that in a bit.

I knew of Theon's "transformation" before the season aired but to actually see what he had become was pretty shocking. It's for the best. F Theon.

Forget all the fluff in the middle, that ending. That ending to me was like asking for a Power Ranger for your birthday and getting a VR Trooper. I wanted that "ending" to feel so much more satisfying. I've seen horses go down more epically.
Well, from what I've heard GRRM likes to keep things almost unsatifying, since reality rarely plays out the way we want it. I cant say it is how i wanted it to happen, but I love the fact that it really holdsfast to the concept that anything can happen at any time. Unlike some shows that will drag everything on so they can hit the end of the season.

Well, from what I've heard GRRM likes to keep things almost unsatifying, since reality rarely plays out the way we want it. I cant say it is how i wanted it to happen, but I love the fact that it really holdsfast to the concept that anything can happen at any time. Unlike some shows that will drag everything on so they can hit the end of the season.
Explains why Sansa is still around. I've never disliked a "good" character as much as I do her.

But not knowing much about the story from the books, I love the unpredictability of it. You go into a week 2 expecting build up for something down the line and you're given something completely out of left field. I'm excited for this weeks episode to see the reaction. I want to see how the Lannisters react to this mess. Cersei went crazy overboard and I thought Tywin had more sense in him than to follow her accusations.

I've been going back and forth with a friend on who killed the Jof and he has an idea, but I don't want to share it in case he is right. Seriously stoked to see what happens tomorrow.

Yeah, now that the king is gone. Who takes his throne? Is Maraery a queen before the bedding ceremony? So many questions GRRM! You better answer them soon.

I think Tommen is next in line to slide in... :eek: And I think she would only be the queen if Jof consummated. I bet, in the shows twisted ways, there are no scenes at Kings Landing this week. All you get is Jon Snow and Daenerys. If you're lucky they throw in a little Arya in the mix.

So I generally don't get squeamish all too often during this show but that Jaime/Cersei scene was not cool.

Overall, I thought Ep. 3 was a good progression episode. It moved quite a few stories along. Good progress was made throughout. I was wondering when Baelish was going to pop back up.

I thought the Hound had actually turned a corner... I guess in a way, his character is progressing... or regressing. I remember when his actions were monetarily based. He didn't save Sansa from the rapists for any gold. Theres a hint of good he lets out every once in a while.

Tyrion's scene made me want to read into the book as far as I can to find out what happens to him. I might even have to put down The Hunger games to get into it. I kid. I could never leave Katniss behind. But His storyline is the most intriguing to me. Now that he's pretty much lost all his allies, I wonder if this meeting with Jaime will do anything for him or if it will even happen.

I'm not big into Daenerys' storyline but it was nice to see her do what she did. Even though he was only featured in a couple episodes last season, I still can't get over the change of actors for Daario.

I'm hoping next week, Bran is featured again and they progress Jon Snow's story a bit more. This week was pretty solid, though.

Yeah, this week was just everyone taking a step forward (short of Bran). The Jaime/Cersei scene was a bit odd, at this point I don't even think they could get on the Jerry Springer show. Raping your sister next to your murdered inbred child...really? Besides the number of things wrong with that, I don't really feel like that fits into Jaime's character arch at all.

Katniss would get pwned in Westeros. Just pointing that out.

I totally forgot about Baelish, he is the perfect guy to set that up. I am glad that I got that the Fool guy might have been a part of the conspiracy, but now we get to see the Tyrell's move for power. Which is probably going to be her marrying the younger son now.

I love Daenerys' storyline, but I just want her to get on the damn boat already. We got it, you are freeing people on your way, but there is only so side-tracked you can get before you forget your original goal. Also, Daario is still weird for me too, but the new guy is growing on me a little bit.

Yeah, I think Bran's story is almost end-game material or he will play a part in the battle at Castle Black somehow. That is probably why they are spacing out his quest so much.

Episode 4:

Another great episode, although I don't think this one was nearly as climactic as the last few have been. I'm glad that Danny's siege didn't really take up too much time, as we all knew how it was going to end. Grey Worm is totally going to have a fling with Danny's handmaiden (don't remember name), but I kind of had a feeling that was going to happen for some time.

Jaime has really started to redeem himself to me, and I think that is the road he will inevitably take, but I doubt he will have a happy ending when things ultimately start wrapping up. I really like that Brienne is still around and her relationship with Jaime, as it feels like she is the person that he want's to be like.

Now we know who was working with Little Finger, and how things went down for the most part. Totally called the Tyrells and the Fool btw. I still don't quite get the necklace thing, as who took a 'jewel' out of it and used it? And why do it that way? To frame Sansa?

I'm guessing Locke is a plant to kill John Snow, just because that guy is too well trained and isn't he the guy who cut off Jaime's hand? That guy is a total sell-sword.

I think the mutineers are fucked, but I think that is pretty obvious. Bran has to make it out, but with John about 16 miles of wilderness away, no telling if everyone in his party will. They better not fuck with Hodor, I was furious when that guy stabbed him in the leg. Jojen Reed and his sister are awesome and haven't had a chance to do enough, so I hope they make it through. Maybe Bran will possess another person and get them out of there, but who knows.

I almost ended up replaying the PS3 Game of Thrones game again, until I remembered how much I hated that combat system.

Last edited:
Episode 4:

Another great episode, although I don't think this one was nearly as climactic as the last few have been. I'm glad that Danny's siege didn't really take up too much time, as we all knew how it was going to end. Grey Worm is totally going to have a fling with Danny's handmaiden (don't remember name), but I kind of had a feeling that was going to happen for some time.

Jaime has really started to redeem himself to me, and I think that is the road he will inevitably take, but I doubt he will have a happy ending when things ultimately start wrapping up. I really like that Brienne is still around and her relationship with Jaime, as it feels like she is the person that he want's to be like.

Now we know who was working with Little Finger, and how things went down for the most part. Totally called the Tyrells and the Fool btw. I still don't quite get the necklace thing, as who took a 'jewel' out of it and used it? And why do it that way? To frame Sansa?

I'm guessing Locke is a plant to kill John Snow, just because that guy is too well trained and isn't he the guy who cut off Jaime's hand? That guy is a total sell-sword.

I think the mutineers are fucked, but I think that is pretty obvious. Bran has to make it out, but with John about 16 miles of wilderness away, no telling if everyone in his party will. They better not fuck with Hodor, I was furious when that guy stabbed him in the leg. Jojen Reed and his sister are awesome and haven't had a chance to do enough, so I hope they make it through. Maybe Bran will possess another person and get them out of there, but who knows.

I almost ended up replaying the PS3 Game of Thrones game again, until I remembered how much I hated that combat system.

I feel as if I need to re-watch this. episode. My simple mind was caught up on the Baelish/Olenna scenes and was unable to really catch up. I was stuck on the revelation and trying to replay the feast in my mind to see if anything clicked instead of paying attention to the rest of the episode.

There seems to be a mutual interest going both ways with Greyworm and Missandei. Too bad it isn't going too far with greyworms unsullied status. They can still hold hands though and go for long walks in the desert.

Jaime is the something else. One second he's raping his sister the next he's going all out to show his appreciation for Brienne and going out of his way to protect Sansa (if I remember that correctly). I like Jaime's progress but some times he does some off the wall shit. If he could keep it in his pants, he'd be a great character. It was great to see Bronn talk some sense into him.

Locke is a true PoS. He's Roose Bolton's right hand man. Roose sent him to the wall right after he got back to the dreadfort to hunt down Bran and Rickon in case they were there at the wall. I have a feeling Ghost is going to play a part in saving Jon from him.

Disney ending says Jon's grouping goes to Craster's Keep and kills them all and during the battle, Summer and Ghost are freed and catch Locke before he betrays Jon snow.

GRRM says a good portion of Jon's group dies. All the mutineers die and they stop Locke before he can betray Jon but instead of killing him, they take him prisoner back to Castle Black only to have him escape and run off to tell the wildlings what is going on at the wall only to die after giving up the information. Those mutineers are straight trash for messing with Hodor, though.

Biggest question I had coming away from that episode was who the hell are they letting cut Bran's hair. Easily the worst hair on a character ever.

Not sure if you're familiar with Comicbookgirl19 on youtube but she posts a ton of Game Of Thrones recaps and background videos that really helped me get into the story. She does a great job at keeping her videos spoiler free and helps differentiate the book from the show. Here latest recap is here. Great stuff in this weeks episode

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"