(Book Series) Game of Thrones

Arthur Sataine

PSLS Level: Bronze
PSLS Ambassador
Well I have begun reading the Game of Thrones, or would we call it a story of Ice and Fire? Either way, I'm reading it. I have yet to finish the first book, but it has enthralled me completely. The tales of the Lords, Ladies, those that take the Black, the commoners, the Targaryens, the Khal of the East, Direwovles, Others, and just about everything else is absolutely magnificent. This is some high fantasy with political intrigue. And I am loving every single sentence of it.

So far Lord Eddard Stark and good Jon Snow (and Ghost) are my favorite characters. Arya might be my third favorite. And I am very much enjoying the interactions and stories of Danerys (sp?) and Khal Drogo. There are so many twists and hidden whispers (looking at you Varys) in the tale it is just fascinating. At first I thought it was merely a medieval era political intrigue series. However, there is quite a bit of fantasy as well.

I'm posting this because I imagine at least a few of you read and don't solely rely on digital and electronic forms for your entertainment needs. Now don't spoil the book for me and we aren't discussing the show here. By all means, otherwise, discuss!

I've read the first one, very good. It can really get confusing with all the character's, but it is a fantastic read. I need to read the others.

Have you seen the show? I'm currently on ep 4 of season 3 of the show, and man is it fantastic.

My backlog doesn't just exist for my Games. I have all the books on Kindle and the first 3 season on Blu-Ray and I still haven't made time for any of it yet. I do plan on making time for them soon though.

I've read the first one, very good. It can really get confusing with all the character's, but it is a fantastic read. I need to read the others.

Have you seen the show? I'm currently on ep 4 of season 3 of the show, and man is it fantastic.

I have not seen the show. I had vowed to not watch the hit show until I have read the source material. And I'm one of the few that are not confused by the alternating chapters between the myriad of characters. Literally loving it all.

POTENTIAL SPOILERS DO NOT READ BELOW

The battle where Tywin met Robb's forces is where I just got done reading. Tyrion about died and had his way with the whore, Shae. Half the Mountain men have died. Oh and Jon got his sword from the Old Bear. Looking forward to reading more here shortly.

I have not seen the show. I had vowed to not watch the hit show until I have read the source material. And I'm one of the few that are not confused by the alternating chapters between the myriad of characters. Literally loving it all.

POTENTIAL SPOILERS DO NOT READ BELOW

The battle where Tywin met Robb's forces is where I just got done reading. Tyrion about died and had his way with the whore, Shae. Half the Mountain men have died. Oh and Jon got his sword from the Old Bear. Looking forward to reading more here shortly.
I wish they played out the book version instead of what was presented in the show. That battle seemed so much more epic in the book.

*Minor Spoiler* In the show, Tyrion didn't even make it to the fight.

That was one of the events that stuck out while reading after watching the show. The other was Catelyns journey up to the Vale. I dont mind the character switching, but without the show giving me a guidance, there is no way my mind would be able to keep track of them all.

Just in case you haven't seen this thread. Dan and I comment on the most recent episodes this season. Feel free to join in and voice your opinion ;)

Without spoiling anything, get ready for a wild ride.

I've loved watching the show and seeing all the things -- big and small -- that are changed from the books.
It's like both versions are great in their own ways and I enjoy watching/reading them all the same.

I wonder what they'll do with books 4 and 5, which spend a lot of time overlapping each other.
(There's so much going on that book 4 spends time looking at one handful of characters and book 5, for most of it, looks at the others.)

I also wonder what they'll do when they get to the end of the books and there's still this HUGE HUGE money-printing show sitting on HBO's lap. It's been only 3 years since the last book... and before that, the gap was 6 years. Will George bust out another book in time for the show to catch up?
I hope so, for the sake of the books and the show. I've enjoyed all 3 seasons of the show so far and all 5 books so far. Going to start the 2 prequels soon. :)

There were internet rumors swirling about that if the show ever caught up to the books that they might be forced to go to the prequels while they give George some time to get the wheels going again.
I hope he doesn't feel pressured tor rush out garbage for the sake of the show. From what I hear, a lot of fans of the series weren't overly thrilled with the last couple efforts from him. But enough forum lurking from me. I've been convinced I need to spend less time on the forums and more time reading books.

From what I hear, a lot of fans of the series weren't overly thrilled with the last couple efforts from him.
Well, that's because of the timeline issue I mentioned. They didn't like that book 4 didn't have any
chapters about some of their most loved/hated characters. And then the reverse happened in book 5.

The reason George felt he had to do it that way is because, by then end of Book 3, there's so much going on in so many parts of the world, and from so many points of view...that reading 300 pages wouldn't have moved anything forward, chronologically. I think he and the publishers were thinking from a time investment perspective on behalf of the reader. Like, when I'm readin' a book, I want 300 pages to mean something! ^_^
But that's just my theory. It may or may not be true, but it seems to make sense.

It'll make more sense once you get through the end of the books.
(Probably.)

SPOILER ALERT

My favorite character just died. Can't believe it. Eddard Stark is down and out. So frickin' early man. And Joffrey! By the gods do I hate Joffrey Incest-Spawn!! Jon and Arya are my new favorites now. And I'm curious as to just what the hell that Maegi woman is doing to Drogo with all those shadow spirits. And what exactly is going to come of Rhaego as a result? I fear Danaerys made a grave mistake. Of course Drogo made one ripping off that bandage when he wasn't suppose to. I guess pride doesn't always seem sensible. The book has me, that's for sure. Oh, and I'm hoping Bran mans up a bit more and becomes the strong lord I know he is.

And maybe I just haven't reached the point yet, but I'm extremely baffled as to why Tyrion is a fan favorite. Maybe because of Peter Dinklage in the show? I don't know. I'll watch season 1 (presuming it is the first book) after I'm done with the first book. If it passes the first entry in the book series, do tell me.

Just got my new Kindle Paperwhite yesterday and downloaded all 5 books. Made it to chapter 2 of book one :).

I will say reading books on e-ink is so much nicer than on a regular tablet.

Just got my new Kindle Paperwhite yesterday and downloaded all 5 books. Made it to chapter 2 of book one :).

I will say reading books on e-ink is so much nicer than on a regular tablet.

I'd like a Paperwhite. I've just got an "amazonkindle." Which is fine. The beige "paper" isn't all that bad and I rarely read in sunlight.

I'd like a Paperwhite. I've just got an "amazonkindle." Which is fine. The beige "paper" isn't all that bad and I rarely read in sunlight.
I was holding out for a Paperwhite and almost bought one over the holidays because i typically read in bed in the dark which is where my tablets come in.

But I got selected for Amazon's ridiculous promo "$50 off Kindle ($19) Fire HD ($89)/$75 off Paperwhite ($44) HDX ($154)"over the weekend. So I got to use each offer once so I grabbed the Paperwhite for $44 and a vanilla kindle to re-gift for $19

Last edited:
Just finished the first book in the last leg of work yesterday. Awesome. And more of my characters go. I'm worried about my other preferred characters now. I was wondering when Dany would wake them. Extremely excited about what comes next in A Clash of Kings. Interesting that we started out seeing what Stannis is up to. And finding out just how serious he is. He is pissed at Renly for sure.

I have read all five, and have been lending them to my friends so I can have somebody to talk to about the series. Everybody I know seems to be watching the show, which I can only catch up on when it comes out on DVD/Blu Ray.

I really love the books, they were really easy to get lost in (I bought all five and finished them in a week and a half, I pretty much inhaled it in) and I eagerly await Winds of Winter (I think that is the sixth!) I love how nobody is really "evil"/the bad guy, or vice versa, "good"/the good guy. Everybody has their ups and downs, and their reasons for doing things the way they do. I don't believe the show is effective at conveying that, personally.

One thing though.. don't get too attatched to anybody. I keep making that mistake, though dead or alive, certain characters will always be some of my favorites :D

I have read all five, and have been lending them to my friends so I can have somebody to talk to about the series. Everybody I know seems to be watching the show, which I can only catch up on when it comes out on DVD/Blu Ray.

I really love the books, they were really easy to get lost in (I bought all five and finished them in a week and a half, I pretty much inhaled it in) and I eagerly await Winds of Winter (I think that is the sixth!) I love how nobody is really "evil"/the bad guy, or vice versa, "good"/the good guy. Everybody has their ups and downs, and their reasons for doing things the way they do. I don't believe the show is effective at conveying that, personally.

One thing though.. don't get too attatched to anybody. I keep making that mistake, though dead or alive, certain characters will always be some of my favorites :D

Pretty much what is going on with me right now. And I refuse to watch the show until I've complete the series. Well, what has been released anyhow. So far all my favorites die. Which is just awful. Hopefully the three I'm getting attached to stick around for awhile. Never know with this series though. And I love every syllable of it so far.

Just finished the first book in the last leg of work yesterday. Awesome. And more of my characters go. I'm worried about my other preferred characters now. I was wondering when Dany would wake them. Extremely excited about what comes next in A Clash of Kings. Interesting that we started out seeing what Stannis is up to. And finding out just how serious he is. He is pissed at Renly for sure.
You killed that sucker. What is your average pace for reading pace wise?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"