Game of Thrones (TV Show) Season 4 Discussion

AHIQZAF.jpg

i know, but one thing that i can say is the tv show is such a great interpretation of the books.

Not something that happens alot when it comes to interpreting books into television or movie versions.
One interpretation i liked was the odyssey. Ya it was a two part tv movie, but it was still good. The person responsible for the hbo version of game of thrones, is obviously good at his job.

Episode 8

The Wildlings raid - This is another example of why I really need to look at a map of Westeros, I had thought that Sam had placed Sam Jr. behind the wall some where so that the Wildlings couldn't reach him and Gilly. No surprise that she didn't die, but what will she do now? Will she make a break for The Wall again? I can say that I am glad that burp song lady died, she was annoying.

The Wall - Wildlings heading that way next, so my guess is the season finale will end with the between the Nightswatch and the Wildlings starting (and possibly the White Walkers).

Grey Worm has the Hots for Missandei (don't blame him) - The question that everyone is wondering...what did they take exactly? Guess we will find out at some point. I think the relationship will blossom but only lead to more issues about loyalty and who Grey Worm is supposed to protect, as things go sideways.

Ramsey Bolton earns a name - Not sure why this matters, but I imagine it will eventually play a part, as they did spend some time on it other than proving Reek is loyal.

The trial of Baelish - Sanza Stark shows that they can play games too, and it seems like her character is finally taking a much needed stand. Saving Baelish may have gotten her an ally, but Baelish is far from trustworthy.

Robin sees the world - That kid is going to die.

Barristan gets a letter - I think the big question here is, who gave him the letter? Only real guess would be Daario, as Jorah and him were pitted against each other and he has access. Danny kicks him out. Still a snooze fest. The question is now, what does Jorah do? Does he go back? Or stay?

Aria Stark loses an Aunt but keeps her sense of humor - Honestly, I totally get why she is laughing. Their luck for having anything turn out has never changed, having been taken to see Rob just after he died, and now her aunt. The Hound is going to pay for not cauterizing his wound, but I don't think it will kill him.

Smashing Beetles - This story to me is about the basics of humanity. A child who becomes 'simple' due to trauma resorts to doing little more than smashing bugs, but why? Well, even our most basics forms, it is in our nature to kill. Whether it is an act of empowerment or what, the Beetles were something he could exert his power on, so he did.

Oberyn Vs. The Mountain - I had hopes that Oberyn was going to win this, but I think we all saw how it was going to end once he wouldn't shut up. He had an upper hand when he downed The Mountain, but over estimated the damage he had done and paid for it. His death scene was pretty awesome, but I am sad to see his character go so soon. The Mountain is a throwaway character, but Oberyn was just starting.

Tyrion sentenced to death - I'm torn between multiple things here. I don't want The Dink to leave, so I don't think he is going to die, but that could just be denial. But, there is always a chance and Jaime is still there and so is Bronn. I don't think they will let this play out, they just wanted to give it some chance to play out before they had to do something drastic.

Great episode, but wasted too much time on Daenerys. She really is becoming popular for no reason at this point. I went to a comic convention and all GoT content was of her and nothing else. Maybe if she actually gets back to work I will care, but till then, wake me up when her part is over.

After Ygritte hacked up half the city, it seemed kind of out of character to feel pity on Gilly + child. Sure she spared Jon but she shot him up pretty good as a parting gift. Still, I'm not complaining. It's good to see a "good" characte escape death for the time being this episode.

In a way, I'm excited for the battle at the wall but knowing what I know, there's a little dread going into it. I still have high hopes going into, though. Not necessarily for the outcome but more for its epicness.

High hopes will only get you so far in this series but I hope that Grey Worm has his "pillar" intact. He deserves a break after putting up with Dany for so long.

I kinda feel that Ramsey was walking on egg shells in order to earn respect from his father. Now that he has it, all hell might break lose with Roose giving him more power and range to do whatever he wants to help his father capture the North. Fuck the whole Bolton Clan, though.

I saw the Sansa scene as a step forward for her character. She's no longer the throw away character from seasons past. Now it seems like she's looking to climb the mountain to become a major player in the series Especially with the way it ended, it seems like she is willing to manipulate little finger by any means necessary. Really curious to see if this plays out like that. It would be something to get one over on little finger.

I'm done with Robin and so is Westeros. Hopefully he gets eaten by a pack of stray wolves and is never thought of again.

I feel for Jorah. Even though he had other intentions to start, he changed his ways overtime. Cock blocked every step of the way while trying to look out for Dany. I wouldn't be surprised if Daario was the one who tipped Ser Barristan off. Conventional Logic would lead you to believe that something will happen to dany and Jorah will ride in and save the day. With this series, dany probably sends a few of the Unsullied to follow Jorah and kill him outside the gates.

I have no clue where the hound and Arya go from here. Hopefully they stay in the Vale for a while and Arya and Sansa are reunited. I could see them turning away and their relationship growing to some "Father" "daughter" deal where The Hound teaches Arya how to fight and about the real world until his wounds get the best of him and he ends up dying. Then just for giggles, Arya burns The Hounds body.

My friend mentioned something about someone being dropped on their head and becoming simple. I fell asleep during this section. This ep needs to be rewatched with the exception of the ending.

Fuck this ending. I liked Oberyn a lot more than I liked Robb so this held more weight than the Red Wedding. I had high hopes for him in this David v. Goliath matchup. I felt really good about it till he got cocky in the end and wouldn't finish the Mountain off. Then came the brutality. The whole time watching that slow, painful massacre I held hold that Oberyn would grab something sharp and jab The Mountain in the throat. Sure he would come out of it blind but at least he would still be alive. But, alas, Oberyn is no more. Literally destroyed at the hands of the Mountain. What's most frustrating about this is that a "good" character like Oberyn goes down like that and Joffery gets poisoned. In comparison, Joff's death was shit. Had some brave sole come up to piss on his corpse while Cersei balled her eyes out, It would have made it slightly more enjoyable but as it stands, there was nothing epic about it.

There's no two ways about it. Tyrion is as good as gone. Unless he is some how broken out of jail becomes a fugitive living the rest of his life with his head on a swivel, it's a done deal. Neither Tywin nor Cersei are going back on this. The 9th ep has been infamous for having a major death and at least with this season, it seems kind of clear who it will be this go around. Unless GRRM pulls another fast one, Dink is done.

Welcome to the Pass on Dany Fan club @Dan Oravasaari. I'll get you a shirt from the back. What size were you?

10,000 th post on the forums. Figured id put this here, better place than any.

Nice write up, but now you have me wondering who dies at the wall... :eek: (don't say anything)

My only particular comment (at the moment) is regarding Oberyn vs. The Mountain.

It's no surprise a lot of people were rooting for Oberyn, myself included. (Side note: While I assume a spear is probably his weapon of choice to begin with, using one against a larger opponent is a wise move, at least from what I understand, so I had to give kudos for that.) His fancy dancing prior to the battle already sort of set expectations low (ironically? lol), but once he chose not to finish off Gregor and instead chose to push further for what he wanted from him, that was pretty much the official death flag -- the moment we all screamed, "Shit! No! Bad move! Kill him!" ...Or some variation thereof. But not only am I upset by his death, as he seemed like a promising (and generally enjoyable) character, but I'm kind of pissed by the fact that Gregor was allowed (by the author) to pull off what he did. I get it. He's this monstrously powerful beast of a man, but seven hells, the man was not only skewered in the gut, but harpooned in the chest. To still have the strength after that to not only knock down an opponent and gouge their eyes out, but to crush their skull in your hands... That's just silly. And while I enjoy the occasional brutal death scene as much as anyone else, there was nothing enjoyable about this one. It was an enjoyable character, and seemingly one of the "good guys" of the series, and after putting up the kind of fight that he did, against all odds, against such a monstrosity, to receive that kind of death... I guess I should be used to this by now, and probably expect more in the future, but bah.

...On a sort of amusing side note, though, is it just me, or are there some parallels between Oberyn and Inigo Montoya? xD

10,000 th post on the forums. Figured id put this here, better place than any.

Nice write up, but now you have me wondering who dies at the wall... :eek: (don't say anything)
Don't worry, man. I know the end result of giving out spoilers in this thread. I'd rather not be Jorah'd out of the forums.

And while I enjoy the occasional brutal death scene as much as anyone else, there was nothing enjoyable about this one.
This said it all. When I rewatch this episode, I'm going to skip this last scene. I could rewatch any episode in the series all the way through but watching Oberyn die in the way that he did just seemed unfair.

a new spin-off show
8CXSOzx.png
10 points for the creator of that gem. I like how the frame makes Jorah seem like a child riding a pony. Poor Jorah, though. Will he ever find a place he belongs? Only time will tell.

Episode 9 -

I loved this episode, even though we did lose some friends this go around.

Sam asks about the birds and the bees - This was obviously to rekindle the connection both Sam and Jon had with Gilly and Ygritte. We also find out that the Nights Watch don't technically have to be abstinent, that seems like a major oversight that really should have been capitalized on.

Ygritte calls out Jon - This went as expected, she talked a lot about killing Jon, but when the time came she couldn't. I'm sad to see her go, mainly because I feel bad for Jon, but I don't see how her character could have come back from this, as it had to be him or her.

Sam loves Gili - I'm glad Sam has finally learned to be a man of conviction. He not only answers the call of the Watch, and still kisses Gilly. If they do make it out, them having a future will still leave a number of questions, but this makes me think that Sam isn't going to make it past this season. If we have learned anything in GoT, love doesn't last.

Allister Thorne falls - I don't think Allister is dead, as he got dragged off before he could die. Either the actor that plays him sucks at sword fighting, or the character is supposed to, because that fight was lame. I have a feeling Allister will continue to be a pain in the ass, and will probably take issue with Jon leaving.

Bald guy is a pussy and hids with Gilly and the baby - Don't know this guys name, but I hope he dies.

Pypar and Grenn die - I'm sad to see both of these guys pass, but I think how far each character went to defend the wall is a testament to Jon's ability to lead. Hard decisions had to be made, and I think Jon knew that Grenn might not make it back from defending the gate.

Ghost - I love me some direwolves, glad to see Ghost back in the action and safe.

Jon goes to see Mance - I honestly don't know what Jon is thinking on this. I can see him not making it back, or being used as a POW. Him passing over Longclaw isn't a good sign.

Overall I thought this was a great episode, one long fight done exceptionally well. Now, I know they did this to stretch out the Tyrion trial, so I am expecting that next week. Martin you better not mess with Jon or Tyrion, I mean it man... :mad:

I do have a feeling one of them is going to die though....:(

Alright, I need to go to bed because I am flying to E3 in a couple of hours. See you all later!

Remember the wildling conversation before the attack on the castle? Tormund Giantsbane started into the story of him and the bear before Ygritte cut him off.
Here's the rest of the story, from when Jon was beyond the wall at a campfire with Tormund and the other wildlings.

“The woman had a terrible temper , and she put up quite the fight when I laid hands on her. It was all I could do to carry her home and get her out o’ them furs, but when I did, oh, she was hotter even than I remembered, and we had a fine old time, and then I went to sleep. Next morning when I woke the snow had stopped and the sun was shining, but I was in no fit state to enjoy it. All ripped and torn I was, and half me member bit right off, and there on me floor was a she-bear’s pelt. And soon enough the free folk were telling tales o’ this bald bear seen in the woods, with the queerest pair o’ cubs behind her. Har!” He slapped a meaty thigh. “Would that I could find her again. She was fine to lay with, that bear. Never was a woman gave me such a fight, nor such strong sons neither.”

“What could you do if you did find her?” Jon asked, smiling. “You said she bit your member off.”

“Only half. And half me member is twice as long as any other man’s.” Tormund snorted.

He's not called Tormund Tall Talker (along with like 30 other titles) for nothing. Almost all of his stories are BS. Hence, Ygritte calling him out for never having fucked a bear in the beginning of the episode.

If you show watchers want to know know some differences between tonight's episode and this battle in the books:

1. Grenn doesn't die defending the gate, the one armed blacksmith of Castle Black Donal Noye does.

2. Tormund doesn't get captured by the Nights Watch. IIRC he's still with Mance on the other side of the wall.

Tormund: Mag himself went in that gate o' yours and never did come out.

Jon: He died on the sword of a brave man named Donal Noye.

Tormund: Aye? Some great lord was he, this Donal Noye? One of your shiny knights in their steel smallclothes?”

Jon: "A blacksmith. He only had one arm."

Tormund: A one-armed smith slew Mag the Mighty? Har! That must o' been a fight to see. Mance will make a song of it, see if he don’t. To Donal Noye, and Mag the Mighty!

Man, Tormund is one of the most likable people ever.

3. This battle happens a little after Jon returns from the wildings after getting shot with arrows. During the battle he is limping with a cane and pretty much only shoots arrows because he can't move too well.

4. Remember that 'trial' Jon was on earlier in the season? They sent him to Mance instead of Jon wanting to go on his own. They sent him to prove his loyalty to the Watch by treating with him.

5. Ygritte's Death Scene

He found Ygritte sprawled across a patch of old snow beneath the Lord Commander’s Tower, with an arrow between her breasts. The ice crystals had settled over her face, and in the moonlight it looked as though she wore a glittering silver mask. The arrow was black, Jon saw, but it was fletched with white duck feathers. Not mine, he told himself, not one of mine. But he felt as if it were. When he knelt in the snow beside her, her eyes opened. “Jon Snow,” she said, very softly. It sounded as though the arrow had found a lung. “Is this a proper castle now? Not just a tower?” “It is.” Jon took her hand. “Good,” she whispered. “I wanted t’ see one proper castle, before... before I...” “You’ll see a hundred castles,” he promised her. “The battle’s done. Maester Aemon will see to you.” He touched her hair. “You’re kissed by fire, remember? Lucky. It will take more than an arrow to kill you. Aemon will draw it out and patch you up, and we’ll get you some milk of the poppy for the pain.” She just smiled at that. “D’you remember that cave? We should have stayed in that cave. I told you so.” “We’ll go back to the cave,” he said. “You’re not going to die, Ygritte. You’re not.” “Oh.” Ygritte cupped his cheek with her hand. “You know nothing, Jon Snow,” she sighed, dying.
  6. Pyp doesn't die

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"