GDC'14: PlayStation's Project Morpheus Presentation Pics

I think this is going to become reality whether it's for games or not.

What most people are forgetting is that NASA representatives were in attendance at the reveal and they also have dev kits for the Oculus Rift.

Imagine being on the International Space Station and needing to do a repair outside. Put on a VR headset and take control of a drone in space to fix it.

I think this is going to become reality whether it's for games or not.

What most people are forgetting is that NASA representatives were in attendance at the reveal and they also have dev kits for the Oculus Rift.

Imagine being on the International Space Station and needing to do a repair outside. Put on a VR headset and take control of a drone in space to fix it.

Is it an inevitable part of our future.

Just realized I put "Is it.." That should read, "It is..." Gotta love when your fingers can't keep up with your brain. In 50 years I imagine this will be standard for our industry and many others.

I wonder if a person with blindness on one eye can use morpheus?
It's not 3D, it's more for head tracking and VR experience, so I would assume that yes, anyone with blindness in one eye would still be able to use Morpheus (or any other VR headset) and still get the VR effect from it. Now if and when they start making it strikingly 3D content, that will be a different story.

I think when it comes to Sony hardware early impressions are not nearly as important as the second year impressions. Sure it looks great now, but how great will it be when only a select few developers really know how to properly utilize it, and do. All Sony hardware looks amazing out of the gate, but it doesn't take long before it shows its life expectancy. I'm sure it will sell, but it won't sell nearly as well as it needs in order to see a major shift in developing the heavy stream of AAA titles we want from it.

At best we are talking about 2-3 major first party releases a year, and the rest are up to 3rd party which have already been vocal about their hesitation, and indie developers who quite frankly have a hard time using simpler hardware like the Vita. I have a good feeling we are seeing the best the market can offer, but unfortunately it doesn't meet it's potential. I don't expect a lot of AAA games and at best it will be Vita all over again, with modest ports from Oculus, and whatever other indie ports can get shoehorned into one more platform.

I think when it comes to Sony hardware early impressions are not nearly as important as the second year impressions. Sure it looks great now, but how great will it be when only a select few developers really know how to properly utilize it, and do. All Sony hardware looks amazing out of the gate, but it doesn't take long before it shows its life expectancy. I'm sure it will sell, but it won't sell nearly as well as it needs in order to see a major shift in developing the heavy stream of AAA titles we want from it.

At best we are talking about 2-3 major first party releases a year, and the rest are up to 3rd party which have already been vocal about their hesitation, and indie developers who quite frankly have a hard time using simpler hardware like the Vita. I have a good feeling we are seeing the best the market can offer, but unfortunately it doesn't meet it's potential. I don't expect a lot of AAA games and at best it will be Vita all over again, with modest ports from Oculus, and whatever other indie ports can get shoehorned into one more platform.

But, we haven't actually experienced anything. You can't cry foul on some haphazard demo viewing from a television monitor. We have to actually play these things. And games on the first year are NOT the best the market has to offer. Those always roll out a few years afterwards.

But, we haven't actually experienced anything. You can't cry foul on some haphazard demo viewing from a television monitor. We have to actually play these things. And games on the first year are NOT the best the market has to offer. Those always roll out a few years afterwards.

Im not crying foul at all. In fact I'm saying almost what you are saying. There isn't anything to really get excited for, or look forward to until after the first year of it's release. If it's still got a good line up going for it there might be a chance to see it stick around but right now if I were to follow Sony's track record with supporting supplemental hardware I have to assume this will come off strong out of the gate then it's entirely up to 3rd party developers to determine its fate.

Im not crying foul at all. In fact I'm saying almost what you are saying. There isn't anything to really get excited for, or look forward to until after the first year of it's release. If it's still got a good line up going for it there might be a chance to see it stick around but right now if I were to follow Sony's track record with supporting supplemental hardware I have to assume this will come off strong out of the gate then it's entirely up to 3rd party developers to determine its fate.

I'm just hoping we get more than virtual tours. While cool, they aren't exactly games. And something a little more engaging than that Luge game we saw Conan play. That was funny though. Even if Sony doesn't support it with first party titles, I think third parties can keep it alive. Personally, I find the concept of VR a bit more engaging that motion controls. Even though I did enjoy their games as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"