I've Never Played A Metal Gear Solid Game

Endygo

PSLS Level: Newbie
So I've never played a Metal Gear Solid game. I know, I know, there goes some gamer credibility. For some reason though, I've never gotten around to it. I've decided to start with Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain. I can't get to the other games strictly because I have a big enough backlog. The price point of the games (Whether it's a glorified demo or not) is not an issue to me. I also know basic knowledge of the games but nothing major. Where does GZ take place in comparison to the other games? Will I be hopelessly lost if I start with GZ? And finally, what are just the most essential things to know from the previous games? Thanks in advance!

So I've never played a Metal Gear Solid game. I know, I know, there goes some gamer credibility. For some reason though, I've never gotten around to it. I've decided to start with Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain. I can't get to the other games strictly because I have a big enough backlog. The price point of the games (Whether it's a glorified demo or not) is not an issue to me. I also know basic knowledge of the games but nothing major. Where does GZ take place in comparison to the other games? Will I be hopelessly lost if I start with GZ? And finally, what are just the most essential things to know from the previous games? Thanks in advance!
You won't be lost, but I would highly recommend going back and beating the other titles. It will make the game mean that much more to you. This happened to me when MGS4 came out, I had never beaten any of the others. So I spent most of that summer playing through the games all finishing up with MGS4. Well worth it IMO. Plus the games were awesome, and worthy of playing through. There was also a download for PS3's called the Metal Gear Solid Database (or something like that) that explains so much more than the games do. Not sure if it's still on the PS Store though.

Thanks. I probably won't end up playing the others. At least not right away. I understand that the previous games will make those 2 more enjoyable but I don't believe I have that much time to devote to 4 full games. I'd love to catch up on the story but I've heard it's really crazy and complex lol

I've been a Metal Gear Solid fan for 15 years and I still don't know how GZ fits into the canon

WHAT?! snaaaake! xD

Well, i suggest that u go and buy every mgs game outher NOW! xD well if can and if not, just buy mgs hd collection and play mgs 3 and peace walker just for the chronological story but that's tricky u now i would preferred play the games like they meant to be played and its in the release order. and ur saying if you're gonna lost, well let me tell you... yes!

not counting mg1 and 2 (msx)

- Metal Gear Solid (psx) solid saga - this game opens a new world to you (kojima's world) and here you found several hints about a bigger history of that world so... its a gamble start here or not xD.
- Metal Gear Solid 2 (ps2) solid saga - here the history starts and you think its unbelievable but... Rai... history keeps evolving.
- Metal Gear Solid 3 (ps2) big boss saga - You expect one thing but when u see things old things you know it
s not the same guy xD
- Metal Gear Peace Walker (psvita/ps3) big boss saga - well here, the guy history advance like its suppose to xD
- Metal Gear Solid 4 (ps3) solid sga - Then here! we are back in time, solid time xD
- Metal Gear Solid 5 (ps4) big boss saga - and then here back in time old times again xD

pd. to @cigarley

- Metal Gear Solid 3
- Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
- Metal Gear Solid 5
- Metal Gear Solid 5 TPP
- MG1 (msx)
- MG2 (msx)
- Metal Gear Solid
- Metal Gear Solid 2
- Metal Gear Solid 4

Thanks for the great reply! So...dumb question. Who is Solid Snake and Big Boss? And Liquid Snake and Ocelot for that matter? Lol. I kind of know who Raiden is though.

WHAT?! snaaaake! xD

Well, i suggest that u go and buy every mgs game outher NOW! xD well if can and if not, just buy mgs hd collection and play mgs 3 and peace walker just for the chronological story but that's tricky u now i would preferred play the games like they meant to be played and its in the release order. and ur saying if you're gonna lost, well let me tell you... yes!

not counting mg1 and 2 (msx)

- Metal Gear Solid (psx) solid saga - this game opens a new world to you (kojima's world) and here you found several hints about a bigger history of that world so... its a gamble start here or not xD.
- Metal Gear Solid 2 (ps2) solid saga - here the history starts and you think its unbelievable but... Rai... history keeps evolving.
- Metal Gear Solid 3 (ps2) big boss saga - You expect one thing but when u see things old things you know it
s not the same guy xD
- Metal Gear Peace Walker (psvita/ps3) big boss saga - well here, the guy history advance like its suppose to xD
- Metal Gear Solid 4 (ps3) solid sga - Then here! we are back in time, solid time xD
- Metal Gear Solid 5 (ps4) big boss saga - and then here back in time old times again xD

pd. to @cigarley

- Metal Gear Solid 3
- Metal Gear Solid 5
- Metal Gear Solid 5 TPP
- MG1 (msx)
- MG2 (msx)
- Metal Gear Solid
- Metal Gear Solid 2
- Metal Gear Solid 4
Judging from your username, you must be a big fan. :p

Thanks for the great reply! So...dumb question. Who is Solid Snake and Big Boss? And Liquid Snake and Ocelot for that matter? Lol. I kind of know who Raiden is though.

that's why we all are here matte xD i would say Solid Snake it's kinda someone's son and a brother of another and Ocelot is the son of B... well u should find out playing the games xD

Judging from your username, you must be a big fan. :p

kinda xD

=193]cigarley[/USER]

- Metal Gear Solid 3
- Metal Gear Solid 5
- Metal Gear Solid 5 TPP
- MG1 (msx)
- MG2 (msx)
- Metal Gear Solid
- Metal Gear Solid 2
- Metal Gear Solid 4

No I mean I understand the timeline perfectly, it's just that I find it hard to understand where exactly it fits into canon. I mean, PW should've occurred after Les Enfants Terribles, but there was hardly any mention of those events. Same with what I've seen of Ground Zeroes, I still feel a disconnect between what Big Boss is currently portrayed as and the man that he ended up becoming (both the on-screen megalomaniac in MG and MG2, and the off-screen victim/revolutionary as established in MGS4)

It's really cool that Metal Gear has followed a canon for so long, it's just that the pieces won't all completely fit unless the original MSX titles get rewritten a la New 52.

No I mean I understand the timeline perfectly, it's just that I find it hard to understand where exactly it fits into canon. I mean, PW should've occurred after Les Enfants Terribles, but there was hardly any mention of those events. Same with what I've seen of Ground Zeroes, I still feel a disconnect between what Big Boss is currently portrayed as and the man that he ended up becoming (both the on-screen megalomaniac in MG and MG2, and the off-screen victim/revolutionary as established in MGS4)

It's really cool that Metal Gear has followed a canon for so long, it's just that the pieces won't all completely fit unless the original MSX titles get rewritten a la New 52.

well in a interview Kojima-san said that exactly what ur meaning but we need to play GZ to find it out xD

The only Metal Gear game that I've ever played was Metal Gear Solid on PS1. I'm pretty stoked for GZ, so maybe it'll make me want to get back into the series.

I'd advise at least trying to play MGS3 and Peace Walker. Obviously there isn't long before GZ is out, but plenty of time until TPP... ;)

never played a metal gear solid game or metal gear game involving big boss?
Nope. Just that one game with Solid Snake. I loved it, but I was more into RPGs when the second came out. Thus, I never got around to it.

Nope. Just that one game with Solid Snake. I loved it, but I was more into RPGs when the second came out. Thus, I never got around to it.
The third one is probably my favorite of the entire series honestly. I would love to see a full MGS1 remake though.

I've never played a single Metal Gear game at all. The only time I've played as Snake was on Smash Bros Brawl... Lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enzo0
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"