Male and Female Lead Characters

JStasz

PSLS Level: Newbie
Just wanting to get an input from gamers.

I'm doing a paper on how female and male lead characters have gotten away from what they used to be/look like back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Specifically how the Uncharted series made Nathan look like any other guy and the female characters looked like a normal women. Just wondering on what you guys and girls think and how far the gaming industry has come in involving women and how a lot of the characters now a days are not this big hulky guy and the women are not dressed like strippers.

Disclaimer, I may/probably will use some of your thoughts for my paper. I will source though.

We've come a long way, that's for sure. People want to see characters that they can relate with more, and unrealistically massive chests on women and brutally unstable muscles on men are not what the majority of the population can relate to. Devs are also realizing that the gamer population includes women, which helps them to find a more realistic balance.

Do we still have a long way to go? Absolutely! There are still games that give unrealistic expectations. We have to keep in mind that some of it is a culture thing though. Crazy muscular men and well endowed women are not going anywhere, and as we do have these people in real life as well, it's not completely unrealistic. Men and women are inherently different, and that isn't going to change.

What developers should avoid is placing men and women into obvious and unrealistic stereotypes, but I think that most current devs are doing a good job of maintaining a general realism of portraying men and women how they actually are (their differences included!).

Concluding thoughts: It's not about feminism. It's about realism. Certain "stereotypes" hold more true in the world, so it isn't too far fetched to have the 'damsel in distress' or the 'dashing male hero', as long as it is done realistically and in such a way that it adds to the overall package of the game rather than perpetuating an unrealistic stereotype.

Chandler
We've come a long way, that's for sure. People want to see characters that they can relate with more, and unrealistically massive chests on women and brutally unstable muscles on men are not what the majority of the population can relate to. Devs are also realizing that the gamer population includes women, which helps them to find a more realistic balance.

Do we still have a long way to go? Absolutely! There are still games that give unrealistic expectations. We have to keep in mind that some of it is a culture thing though. Crazy muscular men and well endowed women are not going anywhere, and as we do have these people in real life as well, it's not completely unrealistic. Men and women are inherently different, and that isn't going to change.

What developers should avoid is placing men and women into obvious and unrealistic stereotypes, but I think that most current devs are doing a good job of maintaining a general realism of portraying men and women how they actually are (their differences included!).

Concluding thoughts: It's not about feminism. It's about realism. Certain "stereotypes" hold more true in the world, so it isn't too far fetched to have the 'damsel in distress' or the 'dashing male hero', as long as it is done realistically and in such a way that it adds to the overall package of the game rather than perpetuating an unrealistic stereotype.

Chandler,

Thank you very much for your input as I completely agree with you on everything you said. Thanks for taking some time to answer this.

I'm glad that characters have changed in appearance to the point where they now look like the average person. I also think that there should be more female leads in games, bear in mind that just because I'm a female gamer doesn't mean I am all like
"oh girl power! go equality!!"
I just think that there should be more of them, I'm getting kind of tired of playing a game where the hero is always a guy. change it up a bit. the fact that characters have changed only to a certain extent is a bit disappointing. they can do so much more with the characters and stories, but they are just being lazy. they are to afraid to branch out and try something new.

I believe we'll see more variety. Particularly in consoles. My logic simply being because MMOs are increasingly headed to console and are proving to be successes. Here, anyone can customize the hero or heroine to meet and fit their particular needs, wants, or preferences. Therefor you effectively eliminate any and all stereotypes unless you happen to build your character in such a manner. Other games like Mass Effect and Saint's Row allow you to fully customize your character as well. So it isn't just restricted to the realm of MMOs. And I believe Chandler eloquently covered the rest of what is actually going on in the industry.

We've come a long way, that's for sure. People want to see characters that they can relate with more, and unrealistically massive chests on women and brutally unstable muscles on men are not what the majority of the population can relate to.

Don't tell that to Japanese developers.

I think the Tomb Raider series is a perfect example of how far we have come. The new Lara Croft is so much more realistic looking than the past versions. I am personally happy that they are making these characters more like "real" people. Nothing bugs me more than playing a game and the main character is a hulking beast for no damn reason (Gears of War). I would also like to see more strong female lead characters in games. Tomb Raider and Heavenly Sword both got this right.

I think the Tomb Raider series is a perfect example of how far we have come. The new Lara Croft is so much more realistic looking than the past versions. I am personally happy that they are making these characters more like "real" people. Nothing bugs me more than playing a game and the main character is a hulking beast for no damn reason (Gears of War). I would also like to see more strong female lead characters in games. Tomb Raider and Heavenly Sword both got this right.
Gears of War characters actually had a pretty valid reason for being bulky. I can't think of many video game characters who were roid monsters for no reason, characters like Duke Nukem and Bill Rizer from Contra were obviously influenced by 80s action movies (as was Samus Aran, who is still the single most influential female video game character of all time as long as you disregard Other M). Hell, 2013 Lara didn't look that much different from 6th/early 7th gen Lara.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"